• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Long Range Rifle suggestions

Bob Fangou

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2010
So. CA
Hello everyone,

Been reading this forum along time and gleaning all the info I can off of it. It is time to start my own thread asking specifically for advise of the knowledge base of this forum.

I am seriously debating a long range (1000 yd is the goal) AR platform rifle for fun, really no other reason. One I like to do the builds and two I like to shoot, I have no intention on competition shooting with rifle. I am not a novice reloader however I am fairly new, a couple years and still have a lot of learning to do. I know I have the capability to learn what is necessary to reload the ammo just dont have the knowledge currently on how to form one cartridge from another cartridge.

I want to stay in the AR platform, I would prefer 15 over 10 but either works. I need advice guys, why one over the other, etc.

I plan on starting to take some courses on long range shooting in the near future so I can learn properly. I am lost, Ive been reading and reading on the net about the various 6.5's and 6mm. Of course I want something that isnt gonna burn out a barrel super fast, that I can get reloading equipment for and will have the ability to make my brass. The creedmoor and 260 Rem. have peaked some interest as well as the 6.5BR and BRx but I need experienced individuals advice here.

Re: First Long Range Rifle suggestions

The Creedmoor and 260 are AR10 platform
I am using 6.5 grendel and quite happy with it, have got out to 975 yards so far, I will deer hunt with it as well this year

This rifle will more than likely only be used for range work. I have a 6.8x43 for deer, coyote and pigs that I enjoy shooting very much.

I was recently in the same position as you.
As was previously stated you are looking for an AR10.
I went with the 260 remmington.
The rifle has very little recoil, decent barrel life compaired to other options with 3-5000 rounds.
There is not currently a large availability of manufactured ammunition so the best solution is to reload your own with 3.08 cases.
The farthest i've stretched it out is to 1200 yards with 3.5 inch groups.
From a ballistic persepctive i'm not sure about the 6.5's but i do know the 260 compaired to 3.08 has a much flatter trajectory increasing the accuracy at distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Foomanshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was recently in the same position as you. As was previously stated you are looking for an AR10. I went with the 260 remmington. It has very little recoil, decent barrel life compaired to other options with 3-5000 rounds. There is not currently a large availability of manufactured ammunition so the best solution is to reload your own with 3.08 cases. The farthest i've stretched it out is to 1200 yards.
From a ballistic persepctive i'm not sure about the 6.5's but i do know the 260 compaired to 3.08 has a much flatter trajectory increasing the accuracy at distance. </div></div>

Thank you, this is what I want to see. A suggestion and why that choice. I am pretty much in agreement I will be going to an AR10. I had thought about the 6.5BR in the AR15 platform but I think I may really be working hard to get to 1000 yds and with no experience that work may be well be way beyond the ability I may or may not learn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Foomanshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was recently in the same position as you.
As was previously stated you are looking for an AR10.
I went with the 260 remmington.
The rifle has very little recoil, decent barrel life compaired to other options with 3-5000 rounds.
There is not currently a large availability of manufactured ammunition so the best solution is to reload your own with 3.08 cases.
The farthest i've stretched it out is to 1200 yards with 3.5 inch groups.
From a ballistic persepctive i'm not sure about the 6.5's but i do know the 260 compaired to 3.08 has a much flatter trajectory increasing the accuracy at distance. </div></div>3.5" groups at 1200yds with an AR? <span style="font-style: italic">Really?</span>

OK, a couple questions here. First, what is your budget? I'd say call GAP for a GAP-10 in .260, but that may be way over what you have to spend. For the stated purpose of 1k shooting I wouldn't think of anything other than a large frame though. For building your own focus on very high quality barrel and trigger.

Second, why do you want to start with a semi auto for LR precision shooting? I'm not saying that they can't do it, but they can't do it at the level a bolt action can. You can push your loads harder in a bolt action and your lock time is shorter. From a marksmanship fundamental perspective, this especially rings true for if you're starting out in precision long range shooting. You have to really be on your game to put your rounds where you intend them to go and a semi is unforgiving for those still developing positions, trigger control and follow through.

I like the semi autos as much as the next guy, but there's a purpose for them and given the choice at LR not requiring rapid follow up shots, I will always opt for the bolt.

My suggestion, get a bolt action for casual precision work at 1k yds.

Bob Fangou,

AR-10's are a bear at times to learn how to shoot, its not like a bolt gun.

What I would do if I was you? I would go order a factory stock DPMS lr-308 in .308 cal. Then use some basic .308 loads and learn how to shoot the rifle first.

when you add this, add that to the rifle do it to the .308win once you think you understand how the system works and you know how to shoot it, now go get a upper built in a 6mm / 6.5mm caliber.

You still will have a .308 and now a 6mm or a 6.5mm uppers.

I would not waste the time learning to reload, learning how to shoot, learning how the rifle runs, and all that in one system.

You will be lost and hate the rifle and never do anything with the system.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bob Fangou,

AR-10's are a bear at times to learn how to shoot, its not like a bolt gun.

What I would do if I was you? I would go order a factory stock DPMS lr-308 in .308 cal. Then use some basic .308 loads and learn how to shoot the rifle first.

when you add this, add that to the rifle do it to the .308win once you think you understand how the system works and you know how to shoot it, now go get a upper built in a 6mm / 6.5mm caliber.

You still will have a .308 and now a 6mm or a 6.5mm uppers.

I would not waste the time learning to reload, learning how to shoot, learning how the rifle runs, and all that in one system.

You will be lost and hate the rifle and never do anything with the system.

John</div></div> Great advice if you still want to go semi.

Great info and I appreciate it.

One of the reasons I looked towards a gas gun was I was thinking if I used my new Savage in 30-06 for classes my shoulder wasnt necessarily gonna hold out for a couple hundred rounds over a couple days. Which is what a lot of these classes advertise. Granted I have never really been sore after a range session but I have never shot that much either. Another reason was is I am well versed in working on the AR platform and own all the proper tools, where I have never done anything to a Bolt gun.

I may have been a little over humble on the reloading experience, I am an experienced loader I just think I still have a lot more to learn which in reality I think all of us do no matter how much experience we have, so I may have been somewhat misleading on that. I have just never taken a case such as a 308 and necked it down to 260Rem.

Oh and one problem I see with the DPMS LR308 idea is that CA and DPMS Panther are not friendly. I am not sure if this pertains to the AR10 platform as well as the AR15 or if its across the board but I could easily do a little research and find out.

I would say build your own and work the build around the CA rules. It is doable I have helped several folks out who shipped me their magic buttons and single load blocks for the lowers I supplied them.

I hate that CA which was shooter heaven back in the 80's when I was stationed there in Stumps has turned it to such a PITA. I also which my fellow dealers would support the CA shooters more it easy to meet the requirements from our end vs. letting the damn anti gunners get the results they want. (Sorry for the rant but you should be able to buy what you want)

Semper Fi

DPMS makes a 260 rem you should look at. I started out with an LR308 and then decided 260 was the way to go. Now my upper is at Krieger for an overhaul, which is fine being a Krieger fan, but I probably could have saved a little time and money had I just purchased a 260 rem from the start.

Not sure my advice for what gun to buy but you can get really nice lapua brass in 260. No need to form at all.
By the way, I shoot a 6.5 grendel & 1k is about all you can go with a reasonable expectation of getting consistent hits.
MLM

Bolt gun in 308 is the path of least resistance. That or a 260 or 243. I have heard the new SPS varmint 243's are 1:9 twist which is enough to stabilize a 105 AMAX. That might make for a softer-shooting target rifle although 243 can be a barrel burner.

I have had good luck with the 260 in a bolt gun and I have a friend who shoots an AR in 6.5 Grendel and he can keep up with me all the way out to around 900 yards if the wind is not too bad. He gets some hits at 900 + but the wind really plays more havoc with the Grendel as it is slowing down a bit. I have really come to like the 6.5 bullets in my bolt guns and the 6 BR is dynomite out to 700 yards. Really a nice round, but not well suited for the AR platform, so says me.

if u stay in the 15 platform deff. 6.5 gendel is hard to beat ant thats what i shot and have went beyond the 1000yrd mark despite what some will say is only an 800 yrd round that b.s just go with a good barrel a lot of mixed reviews on the aa stuff

ARs are tough to shoot well. You really need a good base in fundimentals before moving to an AR.

If you are serious and want to do this right, get a .22 and shoot the shit out of it. When you are comfortable hitting stuff at 400 yards, move to a .308 bolt gun.

AR's are not hard to drive, Bolts are just easy
laugh.gif
I'd go .308, with so much info available, and it makes you learn to dope wind, and range better. Barrel life is good, and recoil is mild. 500 yards is a cake walk, and 900 is a good bit of fun. (talking .5x1 meter tgts here) add to that and .308 ammo in 175smk is everywhere.