• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Look at Bullet Jump

JoeBUtah

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2012
Salt Lake City, UT
Happy New Year Snipers Hide!

I'm finally to a point in my handloading progression where setting OAL off the ogive and testing for bullet jump makes sense. (This is for my .308 win)

One of my shooting amigos was kind enough to give me a RCBS precision mic kit for Christmas and I've been playing with it today. My question lies with which brass to use for the tests.

I have several different batches of brass from 4 times fired to 1 time fired, as well as a brand new box of never fired Lupua brass. The 4x brass I used to learn how to bump back the shoulder 0.002" so that's where they are. The other 1x,2x, and 3x brass are all fire formed to my rifle. When I mic the shoulders on the Lapua, I'm guessing they are at SAMMI specs, as they are about .005" - .006" shorter than my fire formed brass.

My thought is to use the fire formed brass with which to start my ogive OAL tests, since they have the closest tolerance to my chamber. Is that a safe assumption?

If I were to use the brass that is now bumped back, wouldn't I need to figure in that extra .002"? And wouldn't the same be true for the unfired brass?