• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Look ?- Cronus Tactical Spotting Scope by Athlon Optics

Wiley Coyyote

Canis latrans
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2013
I have had the opportunity to work with a new Athlon product, their Cronus Tactical Spotting Scope that has a FFP reticle. This is a new straight thru scope in 7-42X60 using their top of the line Cronus ED glass. Is right at 14 inches long and weighs 46 ounces so readily back packable. Has fittings for picatinny rails on the top and both sides to mount a red dot for quick target acquisition, or a small rangefinder - or both? Magnification and focus knobs are conveniently located by the ocular.

Have had it out several times and the resolution like many of their scopes is superb. In good conditions I easily observed impacts on steel out to a mile, and think this would work for 2 km or more. In the past I have used a Optolyth 100, Cronus 60, and Ares 14-45 on our range that goes out to 1600 yards. My favorite has been the Ares because of size and weigh, and optically I did not feel I was giving up that much to the Optolyth100 or Cronus 60. Side by side on a few occasions I have to give the nod to the new Cronus Tactical Optics over the Ares.

Reticle is first focal plane and is a "T" shape with the upper part of the FOV clear for observation. There is 10 mils on each side of the center in 0.2 mil increments and the base of the T is 8 mils in similar subtensions. One tenth mil subtensions are displayed between the 5 and 6 mil hashmarks for more fine resolution. Besides the reticulated "T" there are also stadia lines that allow for ranging objects 12". 18", 30" or the torso or full height of a person from 300 to 1000 yards. These allow quick ranging without the need to do the math to convert mils to distance. Testing these on 18" gongs at 750, 850, 950 and 1089 yards got me in range +/-15 yards by using the stadia on either side of the distances listed. Anyway close enough if I did not have a LRF that I could spot my first shot and make a quick followup shot corrected by the splash seen on reticle.

Further information on the reticle with illustration is here: https://athlonoptics.com/product/cronus-tactical-7-42x60-ed/

IMG_2093.jpg

The scope is mounted on a beefy carbon fiber Night Stalker Pro tripod by Night googles and the entire setup, tripod tripod head and scope will run you somewhere around $1500.

The Athlon Tactical is going to be around $1000 and should hit the market in a month or so - perhaps Frostyline can correct me on these final details

This will be my goto for sure. Since I have only had it for a few days I obviously cannot speak to durability, but it is compact and seems very sturdy with lens caps for both ends and has multi coated lenses with very good light transmission and is waterproof.

Not at this time is my understanding, but I am not privy to future plans from Athlon

Not at this time is my understanding, but I am not privy to future plans from Athlon

So Athlon made a Bushnell LMSS and added 10 oz. Is that pretty much an accurate summary? Or is the extra weight just from the adjustable rail section?

So Athlon made a Bushnell LMSS and added 10 oz. Is that pretty much an accurate summary? Or is the extra weight just from the adjustable rail section?

Pretty much what I was thinking. It looks like a close copy of the Bushnell LMSS, but with a mil-has in place of the Bushnell's Horus reticle. It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of the two.

Last edited:
I need a reticle and I'm not sure you can get the Bushnell with the H32 anymore.

I would say one of the big differences is the tactical bent of the Athlon reticle. You wanna range with a H32 you do the math. Height of Target (inches) X 27.8 -/- Mils Subtended = range to target (yards). The stadia of the Athlon circumvents that. Scopes and spotters with the Horus system are too "busy" for me, although I know many folks like it. So, like with rifle scopes, it perhaps gets down to which reticle you like the most.

Not having a LMSS no way to do a side by side but might be interesting. What I can say is using the Athlon at 1 mile in good atmospheric conditions I easily spotted impacts on steel. For me that is adequate.

However having done side by sides before (ie NF vs Hensoldt scopes) without an optical bench to obtain objective measurements you are down to the old subjective, "yeah, I thought the X was clearer than the Y scope". Personal preference of image quality and attributes plays a big role.

Last edited:
I've had one of these on order from Athlon for about a month - last time I asked my account executive (I'm a dealer for them), he told me there were a couple of internal changes they had to make, and they're looking at shipping end of Oct - early Nov now. Hoping to receive mine in time to take it to a couple of matches before the end of the season.

How does this "tactical" model differ from the regular Cronus 20-60x86 spotting scope "quality wise"? Is one of them a better quality scope? Can anyone tell me how it compares to the Vortex Diamondback spotting scope? That's what I have now, but I'm thinking of upgrading so this is a timely thread.
Thanks.

Oops, sorry guys, I just realized there is a whole "Observation Devices" forum that probably already has all my questions answered. I'm going to just head over there and start reading for a day or two. Damn, typical newbie!

carry on...

How does this "tactical" model differ from the regular Cronus 20-60x86 spotting scope "quality wise"? Is one of them a better quality scope? Can anyone tell me how it compares to the Vortex Diamondback spotting scope? That's what I have now, but I'm thinking of upgrading so this is a timely thread.
Thanks.

Oops, sorry guys, I just realized there is a whole "Observation Devices" forum that probably already has all my questions answered. I'm going to just head over there and start reading for a day or two. Damn, typical newbie!

carry on...

I have compared the Cronus 20-60 with the Athlon Ares 15-45 x 65 with the ED glass. Our range runs out to 1600 mountainous yards and quite honestly I preferred the Ares as its compact and light. Seeing impacts on steel at 1550 were easy with either. The newer tactical has a reticle which the others do not and I thought the glass in it was slightly better than the Ares. It doesnt take much mirage to make your 60X not the ideal magnification and I fine 35-45 is a sweet spot which both the Ares and the newer tactical cover.

Never used a Vortex, so cannot help you there.

Pretty much what I was thinking. It looks like a close copy of the Bushnell LMSS, but with a mil-has in place of the Bushnell's Horus reticle. It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of the two.

Its more the case of using same chicom OEM , Bushnell sticker yesterday , Athlon today , that is how it works no one is riping anyone as the design is OEMs ,each brand just has ''their'' product detailed to fit the brand

Pretty much what I was thinking. It looks like an OEM of the Bushnell LMSS.
Its more the case of using same chicom OEM , Bushnell sticker yesterday , Athlon today , that is how it works no one is riping anyone as the design is OEMs ,each brand just has ''their'' product detailed to fit the brand

I didn't mean to imply that Athlon was ripping off anything from Bushnell, though I guess my comment could be read that way.

And you're absolutely right about nearly all American scope manufacturers using overseas OEMs to manufacture product. You can certainly see it across several brands, especially in the lower priced stuff. OEMs will build to spec or allow a customer to pick from a menu of options they have designed in house (or something somewhere in between the two).

I don't know who the Bushy scope was manufactured by or who is making this spotter for Athlon. Maybe be (probably) it's the same manufacturer, maybe not.

Thanks for the write up. May have to pick one of these up in a few months.

Bushnell ET rifle scopes and Athlon Cronus rifle scopes are built in the LOW factory in Japan. It's likely that the spotters are also built there.
The Cronus spotter was built to the specification required by Athlon, and it weighs what it weighs, regardless of how similar it appears (from the outside) to the Bushnell spotter. I have not looked through the Bushnell spotter or the Cronus spotter, but having had multiple examples of Bushnell ET and Athlon Cronus rifles scopes, I can opine that the optical performance of the Cronus rifle scopes are better, both in light transmission and resolution.

YMMV

Youve definitely got my attention! Where would we find info on your military /leo program?

Myself and many of my coworkers have been loyal US Optics and Remington customers due to their direct buy military and LEO program.

Thank you for the write up, I am interested to see what others have to say about it as well once they start shipping. I'd sure love for someone to put out an MOA version of something like this, but I realize I am decidedly in the minority there!

I need a reticle and I'm not sure you can get the Bushnell with the H32 anymore.

I just got one and Bushnell actually has a mil discount program worth looking into. I had to wait 5 months because the military ( marines I think) ordered everyone they had.

As to a busy reticle. Your job as a spotter is to give the correct call, a grid like the h32 will make that job so much easier. If you have two shots with a must hit on one then I am taking the grid everyday over a guess.

Youve definitely got my attention! Where would we find info on your military /leo program?

Myself and many of my coworkers have been loyal US Optics and Remington customers due to their direct buy military and LEO program.

Its 10% and you just email them.

I'm pretty eager to call and order one, but im fighting the urge, trying to hold out until i see some hide-member posted reviews.

As it is more of a want than a need, im holding out to see how the clarity/resolution stacks up to scopes like the Goldring, MK4, Kowas, Nightforce, various Vortex spotters.

Comparing 400$ FFP spotters is often uphil already against 400$ regular spotters let alone premium 2000+$ spotters

Im mostly curious about how it stacks up against other $1000 spotters.

The $999.99 price on optics planet claims to include a $200 doscount of some kind.

So, if that makes this Cronus a $1200, it should do ok against the Goldring and many Vortex competitors.

I wouldn't expect it to beat a nightforce or MK4, but having an idea of how much it falls short is an indicator of how good of a buy it is, for the price.

If it is in the same glass class as a Goldring or better, and is durable, given its reticle, design and price, ill be buy one.

So, i sure hope it beats a $400 chinese spotter.

Im mostly curious about how it stacks up against other $1000 spotters.

The $999.99 price on optics planet claims to include a $200 doscount of some kind.

So, if that makes this Cronus a $1200, it should do ok against the Goldring and many Vortex competitors.

The MAP on this scope is $999.99. The $1,199.99 that they have as the "price" is MSRP which nobody charges.

This Athlon Cronus Tactical was due out in July, however, before releasing Athlon decided to do some tweeking and upgrading. IMO, this is a great move. It's now looking like an October delivery. Most company's would have released and then in 6 months or a year come out with a 2nd generation at a higher price. The delay in delivery, but with a superior product at the same price, shows that they care about the end user and customer service.

I've received no update on expected release date for these scopes. But as Doug said, I very much support Athlon's working towards getting the optics of this scope refined before - rather than after - releasing them for sale. At this point - especially with the crappy weather we've been having - if it takes until next spring to get them ready for sale, I'm fine with waiting until then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mkwyo
The Bushnell version was 8-40 and could be had w/o reticle. The Cronus is 1.2" longer which is no big whoop, but I still do not understand the same old 30mm ER. You're giving up FOV & who needs 30mm ER anyway if you do not require corrective lens? 37.14 oz for the LMSS Vs. 46.6 is substantial. 9.46oz isn't a tonne though I wonder what else besides 1.2" goes w/that extra. One clue could be the length of the body as the LMSS X-ring/focus ring/reticle focus & eyecup are one piece assembly that appears to be pressed onto the body. There's 5/16 between the muzzle & objective, from the muzzle to the end of the body is 9 11/16" evah so roughly. Just from pics it seems the dif is in the ocular section. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cronus body is fairly the same length.

Short focal length makes for a fast scope and ED glass cannot keep chromatic aberration at bay. It doesn't in the LMSS. I like the extra fov of 7x Vs. 8 more so than 42x Vs 40. The 34' extra on the low end looks better than 2.4' less at 42x instead of 40x. The LMSS claims a 5x erector whilst the Cronus is 6x. No big, but 30' Vs. 10' close focus is interesting though I see about 16' on the bushy. Enough to read on the telly. Price seems right in comparision though at close-out w/o reticle I paid under 6 bills for the LMSS. I hope someone does a shoot-out twixt the twain.

Me fav spec on the LMSS:

LEADFREE GLASS - NO

ETA:
I do not require the plastic picatinny rails, so I pulled the brass hardware. I left the objective cover, two flex cords & two brass teats on the scope to which they affix. Scope now comes in at a hair over 2.25lbs/36oz w/'do-nut'. Pulling the extra hardware shaved one oz. I also added a piece of rubber 'doughnut' that fits over the eyecup, extends the eyecup increasing the diameter to 2.125" that fits nicely under the brow, side of nose/cheekbone for me. Blinders as such helping me deal w/all that gawd awful 30mm ER. I use the spotter as a spyglass hand-held.

I had about as much luck, obtaining any other technical information from Bushnell, as I had contacting Minox CS for information. Might as well be listening to a closed loop tape of crickets.

Anywho mates, as always YMMV ...

OP has the sand/tan w/hi-riser mount 311000T for 999-10% for 899.99 though estimated to ship is 5-7 weeks. They also show a dark grey colour model 311000 for 999.99 w/o a 10% off coop-un. The Athlon website shows both colours, yet only one model. A mite confusing.

I need more glass as another 'ole in me 'ead, but as much as I like the 7x concept if they do not offer one w/o a reticle I'm done.

I'll speculate this is what they're tweaking:
"ED glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe ..."

In these parts O' the woods that is known as Arkansas round steak which you gents might know better as, Baloney. This time of the year to the south, especially w/overcast sky, there's no shortage of CA to be found for the most part in all save the best. Kowa Genesis/Prominair binoculars at only 8 or 10X work nicely, nicely for around $1500 clams. It becomes a wee bit more comples at 4x the magnification.

If they knew what was good for sales they'd wait till the sun hangs high in the sky where none would be the wiser in the northern hemisphere.

Last edited:
How is the eye relief? I have a USO spotter and it actually has too much eye relief. It's like using a rifle scope, and is not easy to spot with.
I like a spotter that keeps the eye pretty close (almost on) the eye piece for easy tracking.

The most interesting part of this spotter, imo, is the elevation adjustable LRF mount for it. Anyone know if it can be purchased separately?