• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Look, the Accuracy International AX338MC

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Here is your first look at the Accuracy International AX338

<!--[if IE]><object width="741" height="437" id="viddlerOuter-ad0ca635" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="//www.viddler.com/simple/ad0ca635/"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="flashVars" value="f=1&openURL=97723703&autoplay=f&loop=0&nologo=0&hd=1"><object id="viddlerInner-ad0ca635"><video id="viddlerVideo-ad0ca635" src="//www.viddler.com/file/ad0ca635/html5mobile?openURL=97723703" type="video/mp4" width="741" height="417" poster="//www.viddler.com/thumbnail/ad0ca635/" controls="controls" x-webkit-airplay="allow"></video></object></object><![endif]--> <!--[if !IE]> <!--> <object width="741" height="437" id="viddlerOuter-ad0ca635" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="//www.viddler.com/simple/ad0ca635/"> <param name="movie" value="//www.viddler.com/simple/ad0ca635/"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="flashVars" value="f=1&openURL=97723703&autoplay=f&loop=0&nologo=0&hd=1"><object id="viddlerInner-ad0ca635"> <video id="viddlerVideo-ad0ca635" src="//www.viddler.com/file/ad0ca635/html5mobile?openURL=97723703" type="video/mp4" width="741" height="417" poster="//www.viddler.com/thumbnail/ad0ca635/" controls="controls" x-webkit-airplay="allow"></video> </object></object> <!--<![endif]-->

Accuracy International[SUP]®[/SUP] AnnouncesNew Model AX Series Rifles for 2014

January 14, 2014
    Portsmouth UK- Accuracy International (AI) is pleased to announce the latest addition to a long line of combat proven sniper rifles, the 2014 AXMC rifle system and AX308. The AXMC (AX Multi Calibre) advanced technology weapon system provides military, law enforcement and civilian shooters the latest in AI’s long line of battle proven features: accuracy, reliability, ruggedness and unrelenting quality.
    At the core of the AXMC series of rifles is the combat proven Accuracy International machined solid steel, flat bottomed action, epoxy bonded and bolted to a combat tested AI chassis. The AXMC is a user configurable, mission adaptable, long range sniper system available in 308/7.62 NATO, 300 Winchester® Magnum and 338 Lapua® Magnum. A stand-alone AX308 is available in 308/7.62 NATO. The latest performance enhancing features include:
    Proofed steel action featuring AI’s patent pending Quickloc quick release barrel system and 20 or 30 MOA STANAG 4694/Mil Std 1913 action rail.Quickloc match grade, stainless steel barrel.Muzzle brake.6 lug, 60 degree bolt with AI combat proven leaf spring extractor.3 position safety.AI’s world renowned two stage trigger. Right folding stock with adjustable cheek piece and length of pull.AI’s patent pending KeySlot™ accessory mounting system with full length top rail to match the action rail and three accessory side rails (1 x 140mm plain, 2 x 80mm flush cup).Configurable pistol grip.Side cut away magazine well for smooth, rapid magazine changes.Detachable AI 10-round double stack magazines; compact, reliable and can be loaded though the rifle ejection port.The AXMC is available in black or green stock sides with black metalwork or pale brown stock-sides and metalwork.

Accuracy International, Ltd is widely regarded as the manufacturer of the world’s best sniper rifle systems. Headquartered in Portsmouth UK for over 30 years, Accuracy International has designed, tested, manufactured, and supported precision rifles and accessories for the most demanding special operations units and competitive shooters in the world, utilizing proven world class manufacturing principles. Accuracy International rifle systems are in use in the UK, US and over 60 countries internationally.
    For Further information contact:

Accuracy International Ltd: [email protected]
    Accuracy International of North America, Inc: [email protected]
    Visit us on the web at: www.accuracyinternational.com

I may have missed it, but is the AX338MC capable of swapping to a 300 win mag with just a barrel change? Overall, I'm happy with the new AI lineup, I think they did an outstanding job with these new platforms. I'm keeping my AW but would love to add a new AX.

Redneck, from the 308MC's post, Tom Irwin said they will be priced about the same as the "old" AX

We now have current pricing on the new 2014 Rifles from AI. Please go to Accuracy International - AI Rifle Systems - 2014 Accuracy International Rifles - Mile High Shooting Accessories

Note there was a release showing the base price for the AT at $3550.00. That is an incorrect price. The base price for the AT’s is $3823.00 for a plain barrel system. Folding stocks are available for an additional $422.00

We will continue to offer Snipers Hide Members an additional 5% off of AI’s list price. Please call for details on all of AI’s new rifle systems!

So just for some clarification, why would you purchase the AX308MC if the AX338MC was able to switch between 338 and 308? It's seems as though you could run the same short action calibers on the AX338MC maybe at the cost of slightly more weight?

Also curious because the press release states .338, .300 and .308; however, Lowlights video states the ability to change caliber within the same family??

Last edited:
    As per AI
    ".308 cannot be converted to .300 or .338
    .300 or .338 can be converted to .308, .300 or .338"

The 2 factors would be weight and cost of the rifle.

There are some who will purchase the L/A as to convert to all the available calibers, and some who will purchase the S/A version as they only want the 308 based, ie 260's 6.5's etc

As per AI
    ".308 cannot be converted to .300 or .338
    .300 or .338 can be converted to .308, .300 or .338"

The 2 factors would be weight and cost of the rifle.

There are some who will purchase the L/A as to convert to all the available calibers, and some who will purchase the S/A version as they only want the 308 based, ie 260's 6.5's etc

So basically the long action AXMC is the PSR in non-kit form for an ~8k entry point.

FYI:
    AT's will take AW and AX current existing barrels.

AX S/A's will take AW and AX current existing barrels.

AX L/A's (Magnums) will only take large tennoned AX barrels, ie, new barrels 2014 and future

Also, you would need a new bolt head and mag adapter which AI does not currently have in stock, but should be available sometime in 2014.

FYI:

Also, you would need a new bolt head and mag adapter which AI does not currently have in stock, but should be available sometime in 2014.

Bolt head implies just that; replaceable bolt heads and no need for an entire bolt. Therefore less cost. Maybe a short action magnum bolt head,,,,

I'm curious to know the weight difference from the AX300MC(w/sa block) vs AX308MC.

I assume the new AXMC have the same outstanding accuracy as the Pre AX and AW? Even after changing different barrels back to back?

I might have missed it, is the tan/Gold color going to be the only one available from the factory?

@ MileHighShooting - If so do you all offer Ceracoating services?

Thanks

So, what would the total for a full package be with all 3 calibers, barrels, ect?

Am I the only one who'd prefer to see an AT338mc option available?
    I think the AXs are an amazing platform but personally I prefer the classic look of the simple chassis myself. Not that that's going to stop me from trying to convince my wallet that I need one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Regarding the threaded model, is there anything out of the norm on the threading to justify the 400$ difference? Would there be any negative to having it threaded by a 3rd-party smith?

What is the difference between an AT308 and an AX308MC?

AT308 Threaded barrel $4200 plus $420 for the folding stock = $4600

AX-MC 308 = $6900

Both are short action only. And while the AX-MC308 is multi caliber, it's only multi caliber within short action .470" bolt face cartridges (308 Win, 260 Rem, 6.5x47L, etc.). And from what I'm seeing, the AT308 is "multi caliber" as well. Why then is the AX-MC308 $2300 dollars more? Am I missing something?

As far as I've been able to tell the only difference between the AT308 and the AX308mc is the chassis.

With the AX you get a right-side folder ( but without anymore adjustability), and something like 4-5 times more keyslot real estate. Also the chassis, action, and barrel can come in pale brown color.

The AT can be setup in every short action 308 bases cartridge that the AX308 can be.

Essentially the At is last year's AW with all of he current upgrades including a slicker skin package at nearly half the price it was last year.

An unequivocal WIN if you ask me. Id do anything to get it In a magnum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Just reflected with my smith. We feel that the hand threading of the barrel and the tiny 4mm hex key cannot maintain the same level of torque after every barrel change. Also what if the thread gets worn.

I need an explanation on how the barrel switch system can maintain zero after numerous barrel swaps and also live fire proof, before dropping this kind of coin.

Dave Tooley spent a lot of time with I believe ten rifles to do just that. Determine repeatability and longevity of the system. Even the older AW in the 90's AI NA made a video, spin the barrel on and off between each round for 10 rounds at 100yds. They came out with a sub moa group. anything can wear. I believe that marking the barrel and action may reduce hand torque variations but in the end the system is pretty solid. I am eager to see these rifles in the wild with people swapping barrels obsessively and see how they hold up.

Ordered my first AI rifle yesterday. AX308MC with 24" barrel in Tan. Can't wait to see how this system works. Plan to add the 243 barrel and see how this platform compares to my DTA. I suspect it will be slightly better! We'll see.

Just reflected with my smith. We feel that the hand threading of the barrel and the tiny 4mm hex key cannot maintain the same level of torque after every barrel change. Also what if the thread gets worn.

I need an explanation on how the barrel switch system can maintain zero after numerous barrel swaps and also live fire proof, before dropping this kind of coin.

I would not worry about it. AI has a team of engineers that came up with the design and has already been tested. The PSR has been out for two years now and has the same design. Haven't heard anyone complain yet. It you wanted the exact same torque every time,all you would have to do is use a torque wrench to set the hex bolt at the same inch pounds every time. Which threads are you concerned about wearing as the threads inside the action will likely be much harder than the threads of the stainless barrels. If its the barrels threads you are concerned about,this process is probably less abusive to the threads than the typical method of torquing a barrel against the face of the receiver which generates thousands of pounds of clamping force that the threads have to support. On something like a 1.065 diameter thread with 12 tpi torqued against the face of a receiver at 50 ft lbs would generate about 3,000 lbs of clamping force that the threads would bear. The typical 16tpi would generate a little more. I know the AX 338 has a larger tenon but this is just to give you an idea.

Last edited:

Well......hate to tell you...you need a new smith because your guy is a idiot.

After my barrels broke in on my PSR all my swaps have been repeatable to .1mil or less @100y.

Just reflected with my magic 8-ball, it told me everything will be ok. Seriously, AI has been building world class rifles for quite some time. The elements you're concerned with might have been proven by engineers, software, r&d, or during the PSR competition.

I already have an AW and I think its amazing. However I was disappointed with the issued scope mount made by some british airgun manufacturer. They should have teamed up with SPUHR etc as that could be a big weak link.

I like the new AX MC, especially the barrel detach feature which means I can use it as a take down rifle for long walks. However I need to be certain that after hiking all day and making that 1 km shot that the system won't let me down.

I hope AI or one of their agents can make a videoed torture or "over the beach test" and demonstrate that this thing is flawless as I'm keen as to buy !

I already have an AW and I think its amazing. However I was disappointed with the issued scope mount made by some british airgun manufacturer. They should have teamed up with SPUHR etc as that could be a big weak link.

I like the new AX MC, especially the barrel detach feature which means I can use it as a take down rifle for long walks. However I need to be certain that after hiking all day and making that 1 km shot that the system won't let me down.

I hope AI or one of their agents can make a videoed torture or "over the beach test" and demonstrate that this thing is flawless as I'm keen as to buy !

Dude, there are plenty of people who have purchased the PSR and put it through its paces, without issue. AI wouldn't release it (AXMC/PSR) unless it met their standards and apparently those who have already delt with the allen screw retaining system have reported NO problems.

Either buy it or don't, though honestly from the tone of your post your not really a fan of AI to begin with so I doubt your in the market for a new one anyhow....

Those air gun mount manufacturers know what they're doing.
    High powered, spring air guns, which are very popular in the UK cause havoc with mounts and scopes.

They essentially recoil in multiple directions. I've seen many good quality scopes destroyed by airgun recoil because it goes against normal rifles.
    So to deal with this recoil, the air gun mounts are excellent.
    The British army have used those mounts for years. I've used them since I was a kid growing up in England. Never had an issue.
    I use them on a few rifles here that have the European dovetail and I can't fault them.

Those air gun mount manufacturers know what they're doing.
    High powered, spring air guns, which are very popular in the UK cause havoc with mounts and scopes.

They essentially recoil in multiple directions. I've seen many good quality scopes destroyed by airgun recoil because it goes against normal rifles.
    So to deal with this recoil, the air gun mounts are excellent.
    The British army have used those mounts for years. I've used them since I was a kid growing up in England. Never had an issue.
    I use them on a few rifles here that have the European dovetail and I can't fault them.

Honestly looking at his previous posts he's just looking for something to nitpick AI about.....

veeramani is a idiot. Doesn't he talk in another thread about how he had to use glue on the scope body to keep a scope from moving in a sphur mount?

I think you're an idiot if you don't use the internal grooves of the spuhr rings how they're designed by using rosin or spray on glue as indicated in the manual the mounts come with.

The Factory AI mounts and their aluminium suppressors are a joke, rubbish quality and are in a much lower league than sphur and Brugger THomet respectively.

Even their biathalon sling is unfit to hook a school bag to and is no match to TAB gear's stuff.

I'm satisfied with the AW after I swapped out those essential accesories, but it left a bad taste in my mouth that a such a highly esteemed company would let itself down with sub standard accesories.

I'm serious about buying a long action AX MC, in due course, just don't want to be stuck with a lemon.

Experience with other barrel detach systems like on Steyr AUG and PKM just got us wondering about the suitability of hand threading on a barrel and using a tiny allen bolt to hold in place when other military grade systems are not using it.

Also is that allen bolt on the MC captive ? Would hate to lose something so integral when putting together the system in low light conditions ?

Last edited:
    I think you're an idiot if you don't use the internal grooves of the spuhr rings how they're designed by using rosin or spray on glue as indicated in the manual the mounts come with.

The Factory AI mounts and their aluminium suppressors are a joke, rubbish quality and are in a much lower league than sphur and Brugger THomet respectively.

Even their biathalon sling is unfit to hook a school bag to and is no match to TAB gear's stuff.

I'm satisfied with the AW after I swapped out those essential accesories, but it left a bad taste in my mouth that a such a highly esteemed company would let itself down with sub standard accesories.

I'm serious about buying a long action AX MC, in due course, just don't want to be stuck with a lemon.

Experience with other barrel detach systems like on Steyr AUG and PKM just got us wondering about the suitability of hand threading on a barrel and using a tiny allen bolt to hold in place when other military grade systems are not using it.

Also is that allen bolt on the MC captive ? Would hate to lose something so integral when putting together the system in low light conditions ?

You call the AI mount crappy? Jesus so its not pretty like the spuhr.....it sure as hell gets the job done. The only reason I don't use mine is I prefer badger rings at certain heights. There's nothing wrong with the mount.

Then maybe just MAYBE you should listen to those of us who have the PSR then since they are essentially the same rifle.

The screw is not captive...but unless your a retard and pull it all the way out for some stupid reason your never going to lose it.

As far as other military systems not using it......sigh. So you like the fact you have to buy barrel extensions which cost what another 300+? And the only company I know that even sells theirs standalone is Desert Tactical. Haven't seen Barrett say anything about them(hell finally after 2+ years they are releasing their switch barrels for the poor mrad guys). And we look at the FN Ballista where the Rep on here has already said they won't be selling the barrel extensions.

OMG ! The hex screw is not captive ! I can just see some operator or hunter stalking like 20km to the FFP or some target of opportunity, then putting is barrel back on when he sees that that screw has gone into the long grass, or even into the depths of his back pack. Oh the horror !

Who cares about $300 (for a barrel extension/throw lever etc) more when the gun costs like 5K.

They could easily have devised a system like the little cross bar on the PKM or cone type torque on AUG.

Why did you do this AI ? Please fix this on your GEN 2 because this is a big weak link.

Last edited:
    OMG ! The hex screw is not captive ! I can just see some operator or hunter stalking like 20km to the FFP or some target of opportunity, then putting is barrel back on when he sees that that screw has gone into the long grass, or even into the depths of his back pack. Oh the horror !

Who cares about $300 (for a barrel extension/throw lever etc) more when the gun costs like 5K.

They could easily have devised a system like the little cross bar on the PKM or cone type torque on AUG.

Why did you do this AI ? Please fix this on your GEN 2 because this is a big weak link.

Dude your either a fucking moron of epic proportions or your a Troll.

Take your pick...

Probably not many "operators" doing a 20k stalk with their rifle disassembled. How long is your target of opportunity going to wait around for you to reassemble the rifle and get a shot off?

Where the fuck are you guys coming from?