• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Match Checklist? Pikes Peak Precision

ColdCanadian

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2022
Colorado
Signed up for my first match next weekend with Pikes Peak Precision but am looking into all the gear I should be bringing. Here is what I've got to bring so far
- Rifle, bipod, 10rnd magazine
- Front bag
- Rear Bag
- Backpack
- Ammo carrier
- Tool kit
- Eye and Ear protection

Is there anything else that I should be looking at bringing or stuff that would be nice to have?

binos
knee pads
snacks
sun screen
check the weather and dress appropriately

a little searching around here yielded these threads too...

DOPE for your rifle and know how to use your turrets on your scope. A rifle, ammo and backpack. U can borrow everything else if need be. When u get there go find the match director and tell them this is your first match. He will most likely get you in a squad with some guys that are willing to show you the ropes. You move with your bolt open and do not flag people with the muzzle. Have fun buck

Leave the expectations at home. Other than having fun and learning

Reactions: nikonNUT
Water! Lotsa water. Took 3 liters and could have used more!

extra ammo, there will be time to verify dope and you don’t want to run out in the match
chronograph if you have any concerns about your ammo speed
Chamber flag. This is a big deal at that match right now.
Tripod if you have one
Binos…ranges are known so no range finder needed
kestrel or some other way to get wind and dope info
sunscreen—-there’s NO shade
water
knee pads are nice
The COF will be available a few days in advance. If you want one of your own, plan to print it for yourself.

Youll shoot in whatever squad you signed up in and you’ll start on the stage that corresponds to the squad number. Whoever who shoot with, the squad will take care of you. Have fun.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Bring plenty of water. The match usually runs until early afternoon. Sun screen, hat, ect.

Bring extra ammo so you can verify zero,
get a little warm up, and verify dope.

Know your data and know how to use what ever ballistic calculator your going to use. And have a way to write and use your data either on your gun or on your arm.

Bring pen and paper for notes and print out the course of fire so you have the info for each stage with you.

Make sure you have a chamber flag!!! It is required for this match.

There will be plenty of people with every gadget and gizmo and almost everyone is happy to loan equipment.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Definitely gonna be adding a bunch of what you all said into my kit. I'll be sure to update this post after the match

Yea its about 50% the ranges are good or wrong. 20 yards at long range can be a big difference. Always verify target ranges unless you trust/know MD proofed it.

Throw a cleaning rod in your truck in case you get a stuck case and a little draw string bag is handy for throwing your spent brass in

I'll be shooting this match this weekend. This is what I bring.

Ears
100 rounds of ammo to verify zero/ dope
I use my tater tot as a rear bag/ barricade bag so I only have to carry one.
Tripod is optional, unless you’re gonna run binos or LRF. I keep mine in my pack just in case for a rear support
Fixit sticks kit
Spare trigger if you have it and the tools to replace said trigger.
Water
Snacks
Pen/ dry erase marker for dope card
Sling for walking from stage 8 to stage 1.
Chamber flag/ block

As Baron85 said, what ever gear you don't have, someone will have and I've yet to shoot with anyone that wasn't willing to lend gear or help.

The match today was definitely a learning experience but a lot of fun. Met some good people and everyone was more than willing to lend a hand. Gonna list out each piece of gear and what I learned through using it and what I feel I liked and disliked about each one.

Rifle - Desert Tech SRS A1 6.5x47 lapua. Not the ideal setup by a long shot but faired better than I thought. Being a short rifle it seemed easier to handle around some of the stages with limited space than others. The bad for the rifle started with the fore end coming loose right at the start of the match which made it a bit tough to get steady. Didn't even attempt to shoot the part of the match that required shooting with your weak side. Overall the rifle did a little better than I thought it would and hopefully with the 6GT barrel that should be here soon it will be better and help with seeing the impacts.

Bags - Wiebad fortune cookie and Tab gear support bag. Used both bags during the match with the support bag during the prone stages and the fortune cookie everywhere else. Only Issue I feel could be improved is the fortune cookies performance on wider barricades. Anything over 3 inches wide the bag didn't want to sit completely level on the top. Possibly change out bags to an Armageddon game changer or the tactical udder.

Bipod - Harris 6-9 with Area 419 arca adapter. Worked good, no complaints at all. A wider leg bipod would have been steadier but I'm not sure on the difference that would have made.

Dope - Hornady 4DOF iPhone app. Seemed to work good. I was unable to get chronograph data or data out to distance until the sight in the morning of so I had to play around with the setting to get it somewhat close. Next match will definitely require the dope out to distance at a minimum. A kestrel unit would be nice to have but on a somewhat limited budget the Hornady app will work just fine for now.

Backpack - In my backpack I carried around way more stuff than I needed to. Because the vehicles are parked so close I would leave everything but my ammo, bags, wrist coach, phone, snacks and water. carrying around a small tool kit and cleaning kit was definitely unnecessary. The bag itself I would change to be a smaller hunting backpack or something with more and better accessible pockets.

Stuff I didn't have

Enough water
- The temperature was around 90 during the hotter time of the match and I should have brought more water. Keeping a cooler in the vehicle with a pack of water will be the move for the next match if its anywhere that hot out.

Clothing - Jeans and a t-shirt. Long sleeves, shorts, large hat, and sunglasses for these hot matches would have been nice to have. Could feel my eyes getting tired as the sun got above and started getting a slight headache right at the end of the match because of the exposure.

Suppressor - Being Canadian and my first time around suppressors, seeing just how big of a difference they make compared to a muzzle break, I am 100% gonna switch to running one as soon as possible.

Tripod and binoculars - Looking through both a set of Leica geovids and an older set of vortex fury's, range finding binoculars are definitely on the list of things to purchase with a solid tripod setup.

Enough water - The temperature was around 90 during the hotter time of the match and I should have brought more water. Keeping a cooler in the vehicle with a pack of water will be the move for the next match if its anywhere that hot out.

Clothing - Jeans and a t-shirt. Long sleeves, shorts, large hat, and sunglasses for these hot matches would have been nice to have. Could feel my eyes getting tired as the sun got above and started getting a slight headache right at the end of the match because of the exposure.

Definitely wear long sleeves but instead of shorts might I recommend lightweight long pants. They protect the legs and still keep you relatively cool throughout the day. I like to wear a lightweight long sleeve wicking shirt with a hood, similar to what some fishermen wear, and in the past couple of years it's worked great. I feel cooler, I'm not as tired at the end of the day because the sun wasn't beating on me, it was well worth the money. Sunglasses are definitely a good idea and it's likely that the headache was partially due to dehydration.

In the warmer months I'll not only bring plenty of water in a cooler, I also stash some cooler foods like honey dew melon, some cut up cucumber, grapes, stuff like that. I've been to a few matches in the middle of summer when it's 90+ degrees and they served us bbq pork, beans, and what not, so you eat that and feel like shit through the next three stages. For me, the cooler foods sit better on my stomach, help cool me down, but help keep me from getting hangry until the end of the day.

Reactions: ColdCanadian
Are you hooked?

I seem to end up buying a case of water and leaving it in bed of my truck. Grab what I need as I need it. Generally lasts several matches. Still working on a case from Raton. From last year. Warm water>no water. I drink before I get thirsty. Make sure I just drink. I ALWAYS have aspirin in my pack. Food helps with keeping the headaches away as well. 25 liter Mystery Ranch. Seems to be the perfect size. I keep my binoculars attached to my tripod which I carry extended. Really helps to watch others and find the targets through the binos.

Put a few packets of powdered Gatorade/pedialite/liquid iv in your pack. Water is great and drink a lot of it, but you need to replenish with electrolytes as well.

It was blistering hot today forsure. Towards the end I just started going into the shade to write dope, and load mags and just get out of the sun.

With the fortune cookie, is it brand new? Does it feel like it has too much media in it? You can also take some media out of it that way it conforms better to the props. A bunch of folks do that with the game changers as well.

I'm not sure what tool kit you’re carrying around, but the fixit sticks kit is perfect and not heavy nor does it take up a lot of space. I keep mine in my pack just in case anyone needs tools or I have any issues. Would recommend keeping tools close by if possible.

As for water, if you plan on shooting this match again, it will be just as hot if not hotter. My buddy brought his little yeti and we got snacks and Gatorade and water to stick in there. Also nice to hook it up for the squad mates too in case they don't have any. Going to bring my bigger cooler next time so we can get the entire case of water in there and plenty of ice.

It was a great match today and nice to meet you.

As far as the kestrel. I happen to know the guy that took 3rd doesn’t own a kestrel and uses 4DOF. I have a kestrel but very rarely use it. I use strelok pro app. I think a kestrel should be pretty far down the list of things to buy if you want to keep shooting these matches.

Reactions: ColdCanadian
@ColdCanadian , good shooting with you today man, you did well for your first match for sure. Those were my Leica’s you looked through.

Having binos and a good tripod really help spotting for the squad as well as getting oriented to the targets for when you go shoot. Lots of good options out there, you don’t have to spend Really Right Stuff/Leica/Swaro money to get going either. A pair of Vortex Fury’s with rangefinder and a Vortex or Two vets tripod would be good. More specifics depending on if you plan on hunting, if you have a rangefinder, etc.

Feel free to message me on here with any questions and hope to see you at the next match!

I'll second the Strelok recommendation. Meant to mention that in my first post.

Are you hooked?
Definitely going to try and shoot a couple more that's for sure
Put a few packets of powdered Gatorade/pedialite/liquid iv in your pack. Water is great and drink a lot of it, but you need to replenish with electrolytes as well.
That will defiantly be in my pack for the next one
With the fortune cookie, is it brand new? Does it feel like it has too much media in it? You can also take some media out of it that way it conforms better to the props. A bunch of folks do that with the game changers as well.

I'm not sure what tool kit you’re carrying around, but the fixit sticks kit is perfect and not heavy nor does it take up a lot of space. I keep mine in my pack just in case anyone needs tools or I have any issues. Would recommend keeping tools close by if possible.
Having to much fill could be my issue. I'll have to take some out and try it before the next match. I had the new wheeler fat stix kit and its probably a bit heavier than the fixit sticks kit.
Having binos and a good tripod really help spotting for the squad as well as getting oriented to the targets for when you go shoot. Lots of good options out there, you don’t have to spend Really Right Stuff/Leica/Swaro money to get going either. A pair of Vortex Fury’s with rangefinder and a Vortex or Two vets tripod would be good. More specifics depending on if you plan on hunting, if you have a rangefinder, etc.
Gonna look into getting a pair of vortex or sig binoculars for sure, i'll have to look into either of those tripods as well