• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First match with new Tikka build *UPDATED*

BgBmBoo

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
So I set off this morning to participate in a 1000 yard BR match at the local club I belong to. I was shooting the new Tikka 6.5X47 that Jason Chipley of Chipley Arms built for me just a few days ago.
I was delayed by road construction and showed up late. This means I was in the third relay...the relay where the wind really starts to blow.
And to make it even more fun...I have only shot this rifle once before at 100 yards while starting load development. I just ran out of time to go out and fine tune the load and verify how it shot at 300 yards. But such is life at times.

My first target I really knew was not going to be good. Between the switchy wind and me trying to get a feel for the rifle I just really was not happy. I felt better about my 2nd target and the wind had died down a bit. Then the third target had us back in the wind.

So I was very surprised when they called my name for 3rd place. I figured I was towards the bottom of the pack. None of my groups where very good...I am sure with some more load work and more time behind the rifle to find out how it likes to be driven, I can shrink them a bit.

Here is the specs:

Tikka T3 action with HSS bolt shroud and over sized bolt knob/handle
Tikka T3 trigger that I worked over and is at 12 oz.
KRG Whisky 3 chassis
Kreiger med. Palma 1:8.5 twist barrel @ 28" and Badger FTE muzzle brake (yep...folks LOVE shooting next to me) chambered in 6,5x47 Lapua and throated for 130 VLD's
JJ front rest
Once fired Lapua brass...no case prep at all
130 Berger VLD's 20 thou off the lands
CCI 450 primers
42 grains of H4350
Shooting 3000+ fps
NightForce NXS 12-42 with 1/8 hi-speed knobs and NP-R2 ret.
TPS med. rings

Anyways...looks like the rifle is gonna really shoot...and maybe I will get to a point where I can start exploiting it.

Take care,Stan

Re: First match with new Tikka build

Garbage. You should junk the rifle. I just happen to have a metal recycling business. Send it to me. Haha.

Good job especially under the circumstances. Actually, pretty damn amazing. Keep it up.

Excellent work. I shot my stock Tikka 6.5x55 w/ Vortex PST in a 1000 yard match today also. It was my first time shooting anything past 500 yards. We shot at 400, 600, 800, and 1000. Due to the number of people, we only shot 5 rounds each at 600, 800, and 1000 for a total round count of 25. I ended up hitting the steel silhouette 3 out of 5 times at 1000, and hit 20 out of 25 shots total. I was very happy for my first long range match.

The rifle I shot is my lightweight hunting rifle that I just screwed an adequate scope on and sighted in 2 days ago. I'm going to build a Tikka as a target rifle with an XLR chassis in the coming months, I hope it shoots as well as yours does!
-Dan

Great job, makes you wonder how people shoot 4" groups at that distance.

Thanks guys. 4" at 1000 in bench rest is quite common. In fact the gent who one small group today shot a 4" group. My best ever group at a 1K is 3.923" using my old Bat action 6XC BR rifle.
Not to difficult with the right equipment and the right conditions.

Small shot 1000 yard record for our club is 2.623" followed by a 2.854", 2.935" and on up from there.

Take care,Stan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys. 4" at 1000 in bench rest is quite common. In fact the gent who one small group today shot a 4" group. My best ever group at a 1K is 3.923" using my old Bat action 6XC BR rifle.
Not to difficult with the right equipment and the right conditions.

Small shot 1000 yard record for our club is 2.623" followed by a 2.854", 2.935" and on up from there.

Take care,Stan
</div></div>

That is crazy

Just a quick update. After shooting in the 1000 yard match last Sat. I have been wanting to do some more load work and get some more trigger time with this new rifle. So I hit the range today and shot at 300 yards with different loads.
Below is a pic of a five shot group that I think I will do some fine tuning on. The "flyer" came in on my 4th shot...not sure if it was me...the wind, or well...me. All the other groups I shot were around 1" - 1 1/2". It was not the best day to be shooting for groups...pretty windy, but I take what free time I can get. Bottom line....it looks like its a shooter!

Take care,Stan

Wow, With out the flyer that is a great group, hell, with the flyer that is a great group. Iam happy as two pigs in a pile of slop when I shoot a group the size of your four shot cluster at 100 yards. Great shooting and very nice rifle.

dumb ass question but what is on the barrel?

Sweet rifle I really dig the chassis. Those 1000yd targets must be huge. The bullet holes look like bb gun holes. Keep up the good shooting and thanks for posting the pics!

Love the build, I recently picked up a t3 Varmint Stainless LH in .243, I love it, just wish I could get one of those stocks here down under.

So how do you like the KRG chassis? Was looking at them for a TRG, got rid of the trg and am hoping to replace it soon.

Awesome stick, I've thinking about starting a Tikka build in the near future.

Excellent job BgBmBoo. Nice rifle as well. Hey, is that club outside of Red Bluff or outside of Redding? Someone told me a while back that a club has been going out to 700 yards and had plans of going much further. Just wondering if that was the one.

Thanks in advance.

It is outside of Red Bluff. We shoot 1000,600,and 1-2-300 yard shoots there as well as service rifle shoots every month. I have not heard of any plans to push the range past 1000 yards. We are about maxed out right now. Might be able to squeeze 1200 or so if the do move it a bit.

Take care,Stan

That's pretty awesome. I've always wanted to try the long range game but just don't have the time right now.

Keep up the great work.