• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing First Medium Range Deer

scsims

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2013
Central, KY
Was able to try out the .338 in large corn field today. Made a 670 yard shot.... hit her a little far back and she ran maybe 200 yards into the woods. I drug her down further onto a 4 wheeler path for the recovery and pics.

I'm thinking a .408 cheytec. Cold bores right. The .338 just doesn't have the energy :) If 670 yards is midrange I REALLY REALLY suck!! Lol.
Awsome shot and btw, what bullet were you shooting

Great job. Glad you had the power to back up placement if it goes south. 670 is a long ways for a deer. In less than ideal conditions/positions it could be ELR lol. Meat to eat

Great job! Next year you need to take the next step up, browning m2 .50 cal.. Those does can really put up a fight...

First Medium Range Deer

If 670 yards is midrange I REALLY REALLY suck!! Lol.

It's all relative. When a rifle will shoot 1200+ *relatively* easily 600 is midrange. 200 yards is ELR for .22LR haha.

Pics of carnage? I've always wondered what the damage would be from a .338.

I didn't take any pics of the carnage.... sorry, but since the shot was a little back I found pieces of liver on the way to get her. Where she was laying there where lots of lung and liver as well as liver hanging out of a baseball sized hole.

Next time for the sake of the animal not suffering, hunt within the range of your ability. Clearly you are not ready to hunt animals at these ranges. Posting something like this makes you look like a douche. Thanks for sharing.

I just took a moment to read over some of your past posts...... I know who the real "D-Bag is in this thread"

Next time for the sake of the animal not suffering, hunt within the range of your ability. Clearly you are not ready to hunt animals at these ranges. Posting something like this makes you look like a douche. Thanks for sharing.

Hey Macarena! Get off the OP's ass. For every "medium range" animal that gets gut shot, there are probably 20 gut shots inside 200. If a 600 yard chip shot is beyond your comfort zone, then dont take it, but that doesnt mean others cant do it. If youv'e never landed a less than perfect shot, then your a rookie or dont go very often.

OP, you still need a bigger gun I think. Think nitro :)

To each there own. Looks like we all have different hunting ethics. And your right Coldbore, I am not comfortable yet on taking a kill shot at that range.

I just took a moment to read over some of your past posts...... I know who the real "D-Bag is in this thread"

You must be referring to my post in a for sale thread. Yes I acted like a douche as well. Were all capable of it one time or another.

Last edited:
Have you never heard the saying: "Bring enough gun."??

I mean, What if that deer had been wearing body armor or been traveling in a 6 vehicle convoy in M-ATV's equipped w/ CROWS mounted M2's and Mark 19's? Didn't think of that, did you?

You clearly weren't properly equipped or trained for the situation and you're lucky to have survived, let alone recovered the deer. As an elitist pain in the butt, I condemn thee for your reprehensible actions.

Lighten up, skkeeter dude. Dead deer in a timely fashion. Maybe not DRT, but he made it work. Not every shot is perfect in real hunting. I've seen decent marksmen (and women) make poor shots inside 100 yards due to excitement (hunting is supposed to be exciting, remember?), deer bolting as they fired, and sometimes just botching a shot. It happens. If it hasn't happened to you, then you haven't hunted very much. Or maybe you really are a stone cold killing machine. Good for you.

To the OP: Nice work. I'm insanely jealous of anyone that gets to hunt this season since I'm stuck out of country for work. Anything outside 500 is long range to this guy!

Hell I missed one at 75 yards last year. Shooting at his neck off hand and i was excited as hell! He stood there horny as a 3 peckered billy goat looking at his doe so I shot him and made it count that time!
I say good shot to the OP. Liver shots get it done, it just takes another minute or so longer. What would it take a deer to run 200 yards injured? 20 seconds??

Hey Scsism,

Gonna apologize for my earlier statement. I finally realized what had me worked up about this. I lost a 2 year old pup this past fourth of July. He bolted from my dad's house because of the fireworks and made his way to the freeway. I found him ripped apart and ever since then have been a bit sensitive about something suffering. It was hard seeing something you love suffer so bad. Anyways, I understand we can't make a perfect kill shot every time. But I do agree with the others, you should have used something Bigger!!! Nice rifle Btw.