• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes First NF Atacr. 200 yds blurry at 200 yds

LC 6.5 Shooter

Apollo 6 Creed
Supporter
Minuteman
May 29, 2018
League City, TX
This is my first NF atacr. 5-25x56 moar. Parallax doesnt match yds marked on scope. Read that is common.

The sight clarity at 200 yds full magnification the sight was kinda blurry.

Ive ran razor g2. Razor g3. Kahles. ZCO. Mark 5hd.

All those seem to perform better at full magnification. Im slightly unimpressed with the atacr.

Any one else find the atacr sight quality isnt that good at full magnification?

Can you get it better with some adjusting on the parallax (focus) knob? Even if it doesn’t align to the 200 yard mark.

Reactions: simonp
I like the controls on my ATACR and they are durable, do they have the best glass? No but I think they are a great scope, I do not even look at the marks on the parallax knob.

The 5-25 is the worst glass in the atacr family. 7-35 is the best. If your diopter and parralax are both good then it may be as good as your eyes will get it

A ZCO will trump that optic. The 7-35 will be more comparable but still legs behind the ZCO in glass

I just wish zco had the fov that the 7-35 atacr has.

Did you adjust the ocular properly? Not doing that right will give you a blurry reticle and blurry image

I don't have one but my friend who has the 4-16, 5-25, and 7-35 ATACR has let me try them and I found the image quality to be very good to excellent. I thought the ATACRs that I looked through had image quality close to my S&B 5-25 PMII but perhaps not as good as my Tangent Theta.

Reactions: Holliday and R_A_W
This is my first NF atacr. 5-25x56 moar. Parallax doesnt match yds marked on scope. Read that is common.

The sight clarity at 200 yds full magnification the sight was kinda blurry.

Ive ran razor g2. Razor g3. Kahles. ZCO. Mark 5hd.

All those seem to perform better at full magnification. Im slightly unimpressed with the atacr.

Any one else find the atacr sight quality isnt that good at full magnification?
Welcome to the ATACR! My ATACR F1 5-25x56 is off pretty badly, too. At 100 yards, I'm having to run it around the 60 yard setting. Is what it is... Those numbers are a guideline anyway, they're not meant to be dead-on, that's why it's a smooth dial, instead of one with clicks.

Where you have to be in your parallax adjustment can depend on a lot of factors, so the markings can't line up 100% of the time. Those markings are just there as a reference point, not as a ranging tool.

Reactions: oldrifleman
I just came across this post. I understand that parallax numbers are a guide, and many scopes prove just that. However, I right now have a new ATACR 4-20x50 I am checking out and was surprised at the closer-yard discrepancy between the numbers and my own vision/eye. At 100 yards, which is the greatest distance I can presently check out, the parallax is about 175 yards off—I need to set it close to 300 yards. That’s a lot. Yes? Gee, the scope is $3000.00. The variances I have experienced in this regard with my Hawke Sidewinder, Helix FFP, Ares ETR 3-18, and Razor LHT 3-15x50 (and a previous March 4.5-28x52) are quite small in comparison. Yes, the numbers can be ignored, but why are they so far off with this Nightforce?

While here, since the 4-20 ATACR seems to be the least common of the ATACR group, can anyone comment on the glass vis-a-vis the rest of this line, or in general? Thanks.
F7

I just came across this post. I understand that parallax numbers are a guide, and many scopes prove just that. However, I right now have a new ATACR 4-20x50 I am checking out and was surprised at the closer-yard discrepancy between the numbers and my own vision/eye. At 100 yards, which is the greatest distance I can presently check out, the parallax is about 175 yards off—I need to set it close to 300 yards. That’s a lot. Yes? Gee, the scope is $3000.00. The variances I have experienced in this regard with my Hawke Sidewinder, Helix FFP, Ares ETR 3-18, and Razor LHT 3-15x50 (and a previous March 4.5-28x52) are quite small in comparison. Yes, the numbers can be ignored, but why are they so far off with this Nightforce?

While here, since the 4-20 ATACR seems to be the least common of the ATACR group, can anyone comment on the glass vis-a-vis the rest of this line, or in general? Thanks.
F7
In order of what I owned from best to worse. I’ll put 5-25 at the back since it’s known to be the black sheep in those optics for glass

7-35
4-16 X 42
4-20

In order of what I owned from best to worse. I’ll put 5-25 at the back since it’s known to be the black sheep in those optics for glass

7-35
4-16 X 42
4-20
Hmm. If my 4-20 is like yours, then I have not yet gotten the better picture of the ATACR world.
Also, and again, if our experience with the 4-20 proves typical, then I am glad for your answer. I was hoping for a bit more from this line.
Thanks. F7

Hmm. If my 4-20 is like yours, then I have not yet gotten the better picture of the ATACR world.
Also, and again, if our experience with the 4-20 proves typical, then I am glad for your answer. I was hoping for a bit more from this line.
Thanks. F7
It wasn’t terrible by any means. To me even though it was a newer optic in the lineup it still gave me the “same old Nightforce” feeling. Which I don’t mean as a bad thing. If you owned the 4-16 and say 5-25 it’s about where you’d expect the optic to place.

I replaced my 4-16 with the 4-20. I didn’t feel like the extra magnification was enough for my needs. I also feel the 4-16 is a special optic due to the low profile locking elevation turret. This coupled with the 42mm objective makes it a much smaller/low profile optic. Perfect for a dmr type rifle

The 4-20 was replaced with the ZCO 527

I shoot deer with mine. So lots of before dark low light type shooting.

Once I stepped to the size of the 4-20 it almost just made sense to shop the px and find a used 7-35.

I recommend the 4-16 for dmr or hunting. 7-35 for all around use. If I buy another NF it would be one of those for whatever roll I’m trying to fill