• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First non-rimfire rifle

MichaelR

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2009
Denver CO - USA
I'm very interested in starting long range shooting, either simply for fun or if I can find skills hidden inside me for competition as well.

So I'm looking for as the post says my first non-rimfire rifle.

From being a lurker I know there will be a lot of recommendations towards the Remington 700, however before we start down that road I have a couple things that are important.

First, I'm torn between a bolt action, or looking at some type of AR.

Second, for anything that I want to spend money on, I have to be in lust with it.

Unfortunately the Remington 700 doesn't speak lust to me and instead the two rifles that I'm looking at which do, are the DPMS LRT-SASS for the semi-automatic variety, and the Sako TRG-22 for the bolt variety.

I'm quite sure that both will easily out shoot me, but stepping back from that what limitations should I be aware of if I go one route versus the other?

I appreciate all I have learned from lurking and look forward to the more I can learn from trying to interact.

Michael

Re: First non-rimfire rifle

Picture021.jpg

Does this hit the lust button...

it's a Rem 700p

It really depends what you want to accomplish with the gun. DPMS makes a fine product as does Sako, personally I love the TRG guns but they aren't for me. Just like blazers and AIs I like a gun I can shoot, pick apart what bothers me and build it until it's precisely what I want.
For the DPMS, well I am a huge AR fan but I stick with the 5.56 variety just because I don't need to be sending a 1.50 down range too quickly. If you have the money or the disapline... go for it.

Best thing I can tell you is to try the guns on someplace and see what gets the juices flowing.

I notice you're from denver. Check out Green Mountain Guns typically they have a lot of AR variants and well as of last week they had a 700p, a few coopers, an FN and I know for a fact they can order Sakos.

Re: First non-rimfire rifle

That hits the lust button right on the head...

One more little issue that I almost feel like I should whisper... I'm a south paw...

How friendly is AI to the left handed shooter?