• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First NRL22 Match ... What AM I Missing?

MPrimo

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 17, 2011
    The Northeast
    First time in a tactical rifle match of any kind. I have reviewed the COF and am cool with it. I have a Vudoo or a Kidd 10/22 to shoot. The Kidd is an exceptional shooter for an auto. The Vudoo is awesome. Seems like it would be easier/faster/less stress with the Kidd. I have shot a ton of pistol/3 gun matches and am a regular sporting clays competitor so I am competitive and won't be too nervous ... mostly excited.
    I plan on a 50y zero and using only hold over/under ... one stage makes this mandatory so I figured I would do it on all of them. I have good reticles on both rifles for this IMO. I have never shot with a sling before so I plan to practice that this week. Have bags aplenty (can only use one), good dope at applicable yardages and am very competent with both rifles in a no stress scenario.

Really looking forward to the event! Living in the Northeast makes it a little difficult to find opportunities to shoot matches like this.

So ... which rifle and what else am I missing?

The NRL 22 matches I have shot have been the monthly course of fire and a few bonus stages. A little practice offhand and weak-hand supported wouldn't be a bad thing. Good dope out to 250 yards.

I would take the Vudoo. With the auto, they movement becomes a pain as the matches I have been in you had to drop the mag where the vudoo you will just have bolt back. Most stages are doable with the par times, but you may time out on a spinner if its windy with a bolt vs the semi.

Reactions: MPrimo
    As a MD, I would say you're set. My suggestion would be take the bolt gun, as semi's are to be placed on safe and verbally called out "Safe" between positions. Being your 1st nrl22 match, you'll have a lot going on and not having to put it on safe and call out, will be just one less thing to think of. Also, you didn't mention if your scope was moa or mil. Either way, your 1st 2 matches, you can be given wind/elevation corrections. Mils make it much easier, as that is what most other competitors use.

Biggest thing....Have fun. That's what this is all about!!!

Since you mention living in the northeast, and I see your location, are you shooting at HGC Saturday ?

I am ... Happy to see they are running this. I have been a member for a couple of years to shoot shotgun but this is the first 22 rifle match I am aware of.

Reactions: SubMech
    I am ... Happy to see they are running this. I have been a member for a couple of years to shoot shotgun but this is the first 22 rifle match I am aware of.

My suggestion, bring the Vudoo. And ask the MD if he would like to shoot it after the match to be a nice guy (also...I'm the MD :D) Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

I have been trying to get NRL22 to happen in this area for the last few years and could never find a club willing to get onboard till this year. It's pretty laid back right now as they have only opened it up for members, last month was the first official match, we had 6 shooters. I'm expecting a few more this month. Don't worry about forgetting anything, the few of us who shoot all the time have extra stuff if you do leave something home.

You can bang away on the Vudoo all you want! I'll bring the can to make it even more enjoyable! Nice to meet you ... looking forward to Saturday!

Mike Primavera

Sounds like you're pretty well set! I just started shooting NRL22 earlier this year in base class with a buddy of mine. Has been a lot of fun so far, enjoying actually shooting some competition due to lack of close rifle matches of any sort where I'm at. Still picking up gear all the time and learning every match. Good luck and hope you enjoy it!

Pick the rifle that you are most comfortable with, I'd lean toward the Vudoo due to the reasons stated above.

You'll need a bag of some sort and if you have it, a sling.

Don't be afraid to dial, you'll have plenty of time, it may take a few matches to get your pace down, but you'll know how you are doing time wise by feel after a few matches, but they should keep you somewhat updated on your time left anyway.

If you can, for the July COF, I'd suggest practicing the ladder as well as the chair stage at home just to get your bearings on those and how you want to approach those.

Reactions: usafa77 and MPrimo
    When being off .1mil puts you over the top of the target you will wish you dialed. The stages where holding over is required are usually pretty obvious. Lots of back and forth between targets.

you guys arent too far from Granby, MA who run NRL22 and centerfire matches. Reading, MA might be a bit of a drive though

If (when) I enjoy myself on Saturday, I will definitely be thinking about heading to Granby!

When being off .1mil puts you over the top of the target you will wish you dialed. The stages where holding over is required are usually pretty obvious. Lots of back and forth between targets.
    I haven't tried NRL22 yet, what size are the targets that being off .1 mil will put you over the target. Isn't the COF within 100 yards? 1/3"

I haven't tried NRL22 yet, what size are the targets that being off .1 mil will put you over the target. Isn't the COF within 100 yards? 1/3"

Max distance is 100yds and targets can be anywhere between .25" up to 4in I believe, obviously the bigger targets are further away typically.

lots of nrl22 matches have stages beyond 100 yds. Add wind to the calculation of your hold over. The people I see winning the matches are dialing when they have time. The reason MD's add stages with hold over only is it's harder. YMMV.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Maverick3009
    lots of nrl22 matches have stages beyond 100 yds. Add wind to the calculation of your hold over. The people I see winning the matches are dialing when they have time. YMMV.

You're right, I should've specified that the NRL22 "sanctioned" Course of Fire only goes out to 100 but a lot of matches do throw in further distances after the COF for fun. There's also the NRL22X now that I think has COF's out to 400yds or so

I never dial, and I've never missed because my hold was bad.

I've seen plenty of people time out trying to dial.

If you hold, you have tons of time to make each shot. Dialing between targets can waste half your time, giving you less time to focus on the shot itself.

Welcome to some of the most fun you can legally have!

Dope- I know you said you have it, just be sure you REALLY have it. Confirm your yardages you've practiced with a rangefinder. I didn't when I started and some steel I was shooting and thought was 100 yards was 111, making my dope wrong and costing tons of misses my first few matches.

Zero- check it again day of. Really can't afford to be off.

Course of Fire- it's published and if you're a homeowner you likely have the ladders buckets, etc you would rest on. Carve some time out and practice the more difficult stages before the match. Will help with finding best position ahead of time and will make your transitions smoother and safer.

Have fun!!

Reactions: STex and MPrimo
    Confirming dope today ... have a ladder in my dining room looking out over the back yard. My wife thinks I'm nuts. My knees already ache from up and down motion. I'll be honest, the things I thought I would be comfortable with I have not been. Might be a shit show but who cares ... sad part is I cannot blame the rifle!

Take the Vudoo and dial your dope when you're allowed to. It's the easy button. You are already coming off the gun to dial parallax, or you should be at these close distances of 150 and in. What's 3 more seconds?

Ask to go last in your squad and watch how everybody else solves the equation. Buy a mulligan if they are offered and use it. Get as many rounds down range as possible. Sling work should've started a few weeks ago, but better late than never. I find the unsupported stages to be almost free points. So many people just can't be bothered to put in the work with the sling. I have recently become obsessed with it to the point that I have begun making my own slings specifically for NRL22 competitions. They have made a HUGE difference in my scores.

Ask a ton of questions, ask to try others bags if you are curious, and most of all have a great time! You are not going to win, so just relax and enjoy your new addiction!

Confirming dope today ... have a ladder in my dining room looking out over the back yard. My wife thinks I'm nuts. My knees already ache from up and down motion. I'll be honest, the things I thought I would be comfortable with I have not been. Might be a shit show but who cares ... sad part is I cannot blame the rifle!
    Nice! One of the most important things I forgot, ask for advice! I wait waaaayyyy too long before I asked for help getting stable on ladders, saw horses, and barricades.

and at least you got the biggest purchase out of the way, actually the NF was the biggest purchase, but I digress, for me, I didn't want to spend the money starting out to get the vudoo, so I went with a Tikka. First two matches were learning experiences and I was around the top of the base class... won the next two base matches, then jumped on the vudoo train.

Reactions: STex
    Good luck Mike! Let us know how it went.

No but you can blame the ammo which is the great thing about .22

@SubMech Excellent match today. The bonus stage was awesome. Well done.
    @MPrimo it was a pleasure to meet you today, and see that awesome Vudoo.
    Great shooting today all.

@SubMech Excellent match today. The bonus stage was awesome. Well done.
    @MPrimo it was a pleasure to meet you today, and see that awesome Vudoo.
    Great shooting today all.

@DrDWD Thanks man. You shot well, you were second overall and I only had you by 1.3 points. Our spots came down to the timed stage.
    @MPrimo You did good for your first ever match, hopefully you had enough fun to return next month.

Totally enjoyed myself. There is a lot I have to improve at ... positional stage specifically ... but I'll be back!
    Great group of guys with a lot of talent. The bonus stage was fantastic ... I killed two hostages but had a hit a 200 in a bit of wind.
    Really appreciate you guys putting this on at HGC. I will need to balance my schedule with Sporting Clays events going forward but I hope to make some other events. If there is a mailing list outside of HGC, please put me on it. [email protected]
    Again, thanks for making it a great time! I owe it to the Vudoo to get better!

Reactions: STex