• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First on scene at a plane crash yesterday...

Apache

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2008
Chico, CA
So I saw something yesterday that I had never seen before.

I'm finishing up my degree at Chico State here in California, it's my fifth year here and after taking a year off last semester I will be done at the end of this one.

I work part time as a chef/server at a local Italian restaurant and we cater weddings and events on occasion.

Yesterday while setting up a wedding next to small man made lake, a four seater sea plane took off. The five of us that were there setting up watched it ascend, marveling at just "how awesome" it was. I turn my head to pick up a box and hear the engine cut out, flip my head around see it plummet about 150 feet to the ground nose first in an orchard.

Adrenaline mode enabled. Scream to my boss to get 911 on the phone, my coworkers come out from the house and I yell at my server to get in his truck, I hop in the bed, along with another server who is a registered EMT proceeded to tell him to "FUCKING GO, WE'LL HOLD ON!"

Smoke started to rise as we bounced along the unpaved field at nearly 50 mph. I see the wreck, look to my coworker and say, "just get ready, I have a feeling this is going to be bad, we're going to be pulling a body from this."

Somehow, after hitting a power line on the way down, the pilot had set it down in a miraculous spot, missing most of the trees, he and his son had gotten out and were staggering away.

Our server/EMT went to work, I ripped my shirt for a makeshift bandage, and we made sure no one else was in the plane and started to tend to their wounds, which were minimal to say the least.

After everything was cleared up and the pilot and his son were safe, a coworker snapped a few pictures.

The fire started within 30 seconds of us getting on scene and within 5 minutes was what is seen here.

462303_4448960859217_1002670437_o.jpg

Oh and for those interested, even with a downed power line, the wedding and dinner service went off without a hitch.
laugh.gif

Re: First on scene at a plane crash yesterday...

Good job on your response. Lucky it wasn't much worse for the folks in the plane.

What a miracle. I'm sure those two and their entire family were thankful that they were waking up this morning.

Good on you and your co-workers for your response!

Guys like you make a difference. Good job!

Funny thing is I just turned 22. I'm still comparatively a youngin' to everyone I work with. But when that engine cut out, and that plane started to drop, I just went into action. Nice to know I can handle myself when things go a little crazy.

Some rush toward danger and some just gawk.

You rushed.

Here's you at the top, surrounded by lesser folk:
sheepdog_with_sheep_engrave.jpg

there are three types of people in an emergency. walk on water, tread water, and pass water. today you walked. congrats.

Good on you bro! The world needs more folk like yourself.

You and your workers did a very noble deed by helping and not going in panic mode. Well sone. MM

Well done sir! That is something to say the least. Can't believe that nobody was seriously injured in the crash.

God bless you son!

It restores my faith in the citizens of this great country to see that we've not ALL been transformed into helpless sheep waiting for someone in a Government uniform to tell us what to do.

Good show! Jim...

Thanks for kind words everyone, but my only concern was to get there as fast as I could and hoping that everyone was alive and safe. We just reacted, there was no hint of "oh wow did you just see that?" it was simply to move as quickly as we could.

Holy crap.. Good response. Glad to hear the pilot and son managed to walk away from it!

Good on you brother.
Not a lot of people can react the way you did. Most would just freak out and forget to call 911 for a few minutes.

Glad to hear they walked away from it.

Great job! There are a lot more people than one may think that would have done nothing more than call 911. I have only been on 3 plane crashes in my 20+ years in the fire service and the occupants weren't so lucky as the ones in that plane.

Good job man, especially on your reaction. Even as a volunteer firefighter, you still show up to a call sometimes and stand for a second to sort stuff out. So again, way to go.

Glad everyone's alright, that's some scary shit.

I just started flight lessons a few weeks ago for my private pilots. Things happen faster up there than you'd think. I think it speaks to the pilots ability that he was able to walk away from that.

That he AND his son were able to walk away from this still amazes me. And to come out of it so lightly injured, the worst was the pilot had a bump and a small cut above his eye. Could have been MUCH worse. His son was developmentally disabled and was in some pain, but was again able to move freely and was unscathed.

If anything this was simply a huge sobering moment in the shortness of how things can go wrong and life can be taken away.

One thing I did do, when I was younger I was in a car accident shortly after getting my license, could not cut myself out of the seatbelt and had to crawl out after wrapping a SUV around a pole on the drivers side. From then on I carried a knife as a "just in case." I have stopped for a while, my knife collection has thinned to nothing, and the "what if" scenarios were playing through my head.

Went out and bought a knife the next morning (CRKT FireSpark, but am debating on getting a Benchmade Adamas folder), and am piecing together a medkit to keep in my car. Never hurts to be prepared, because you never know when you're going to see a plane crash.

There are old pilots and bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots.

That's one lucky (and obviously skilled) pilot!!

I am the Father, Old Fart, of a multi-engined airplane driver who works his ass off flying freight.
He has done it in Alaska and is now in the lower 48. I pray for him every night, but know he is good at what he does.
To you I want to extend my most heartfelt THANK YOU.
The time may come when he augers in and I hope there are people like you to do what you did if that happens. I hope it never happens to us, then my prayers will have been answered.
I was a motorcycle racer when young and now know about prayers being answered by Mom and Dad. I am alive and well, despite all the things I did to make it otherwise.
Thank you for all that you have done and I only wish there more out there like you. Regards, FM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Foul Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am the Father, Old Fart, of a multi-engined airplane driver who works his ass off flying freight.
He has done it in Alaska and is now in the lower 48. I pray for him every night, but know he is good at what he does.
To you I want to extend my most heartfelt THANK YOU.
The time may come when he augers in and I hope there are people like you to do what you did if that happens. I hope it never happens to us, then my prayers will have been answered.
I was a motorcycle racer when young and now know about prayers being answered by Mom and Dad. I am alive and well, despite all the things I did to make it otherwise.
Thank you for all that you have done and I only wish there more out there like you. Regards, FM </div></div>
I spent a couple hair raising yrs as a freight dog myself. I flew aero commanders. God bless your son.

I am very proud of my son and his approach to the flying career he has now.
He puts in long hours and works hard.
He has put a couple of planes down after engine failures and walked away or stayed with them as they were the safest place and shelter until picked up. Undamaged except for the next story. Forced to land because of mechanical problems, like the engine blew or something.
One of his forced landings was on the side of a mountain in an old burn slash, no power, did a stall landing that was taped by a helo over him watching after he put out his MAYDAY or whatever pilots say. He did it right and held the aircraft in place while the passenger got out and tied it down. Minimal damage to a nav light, however, he refused to fly the plane again after it was lifted out and repairs made and he replicated what was done before over an airport and the engine quit again. Easy to land on the strip.
He told me,"No more, I will fly something else."
I think that video is a training thing now as to how to do things right.
When I saw it the first time I about pissed my pants then turned to him and gave him a big hug.
He flies freight and has no interest in flying passengers.
"Pa, freight doesn't bitch at you or puke and shit in your airplane." Regards, FM

I had posted earlier and deleted it because I felt is was overly self-serving.

I think that your stepping out and taking a part speaks volumes about your character. I'm glad this world still holds a few like yourself.

I used to spend my time hanging around a small airfield near High Point NJ. You hang around long enough and you'll see more than one aborted takeoff, or ones that committed too late to abort without a sound aircraft under them.

Knowing the back roads, I more than once arrived first, always in time to meet up with a scared silly pilot with nary a scratch. Gave them a ride back to the tower, and helped 'em hold onto their nerves while reality was catching back up with them. It gets a little easier after number one.

Every single event turned out to be pilot error, forgetting to turn on the carb heat before runup.

Greg

Greg, perhaps I am overly self serving but it is not for me, it is for my son.
I don't think your comments were directed at me. Maybe so.
The aircraft my son put down in Alaska were both found to be mechanical problems by FAA.
One had a broken rod just below the wrist pin and was deemed metal fatigue. Sticking out of the side of the cases.
The other was due to frozen fuel in the filters and the engine could not get enough. Damn, it is cold up there.
Both over an hour off of the ground.
I am glad he is not flying up there anymore.
The aircraft are for the most part OLDer than the pilots and shit happens.
You can drain off water in a filter until it turns to ice.
Ground maintenance is sometimes lacking.
Turn and Burn. Regards, FM

A) I was absolutely NOT being critical of you or your Son, FM; quite the contrary. Folks who fly Commercial Aviation in Alaska have TV shows devoted to their unique environment, and rightly so.

B), the A/C and Pilots to whom I referred where general aviation/recreational Sunday flyers, with neither the same responsibilities, professionalism, nor the technical backup that one has come to expect from Commercial Aviation.

Once one gets past the good luck of those Sunday flyers, the biggest impression is of how another irreplaceable example of Golden Age aviation history has just gotten written off. A spotless 1940's Ercoupe, for just one example, by a guy who flew it as a rental and did not provide insurance.

Greg

Cool Greg, I sometimes don't understand things right. I was not sure.
Damn, I am proud of my son!!!
No doubt he learned a few things with the flat track bikes and uses those skills as to how something will skid across the ground and how to best control a bad situation. He has told me that several times.
I hope he never tells me about it again.
Regards, FM

excellent job..
god bless...