• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Phoenix Custom Rifle (PCR) build

Captramrod01

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2010
Chandler, AZ
Thought I would give a shout out to my local smiths at PCR. I've been having Keith and Brad do odd jobs here and there for me since they were in gunsmithing school a couple years back but this is the first time I've had a full custom done through them.

Here are the specs:

-6,5x47L
-R700 action
-PTG bolt, small firing pin hole
-Brux M24 at 22", badger thruster brake
-Timney flat trigger
-Mcree Precision stock
-Seekins 20 moa base
-Steiner 5-25x56mm MSR with American Rifle Co rings

Fit and finish on this thing is very nice. Definitely on par with my other customs. The PTG bolt fits like a glove and is by far the smoothest running bolt I own. The Badger brake is turned down perfectly, no visible line even with no finish on the barreled action yet.

But, how it looks and feels are one thing...how does it shoot?? In short, its probably my most accurate rifle right now. I bought a bunch of the Nosler 123gr CC bullets mainly because someone had them for sale for $11 a box. I had this gun setup to shoot 140s but still wanted to burn through these 123s because I purchased so many of them. I settled on a load that was shooting them around 2920fps and grouping consistently around 1/3" at 100 yards.

I consider myself a decent shot when conditions are good and when I can shoot prone with a bag. Today is by far the best I've ever shot at distance. This flapper was setup at 649 yards, fired 9 shots total. The picture shown is 5 shots, measuring just over 1", the other side had 4 shots measuring right at 2"(no pic). Like I said, this is the absolute best I've ever shot, conditions were perfect. I may have a hard time reproducing groups like this again but I think it shows off the potential of this rifle. Seriously don't hesitate to call these guys up. Build time on this thing was only 2 weeks after my bolt came in. Just need to get it coated in patriot brown to finish her off. Here's the group and crappy cell phone pics of the rifle.

IMG_20130625_084153_zps2c7962f4.jpg

IMG_20130625_090821_zpscb8a901d.jpg

IMG_20130625_090924_zps5986c094.jpg

IMG_20130625_090829_zps4ad721fb.jpg

That is some fantastic shooting! Looks like a very nice setup too. I really like your cartridge choice as well...

Last edited:
I'm sending my Badger M2013 next week to them (fingers crossed it ships on-time) with all its bits for my second rifle from them, couldn't be more excited. They do excellent work and build rifles that have so far left me with no excuses at the range!