• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SavageSlayer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2009
CA
Hi guys. I just got back from a pig hunt outside of King City, CA in Monterey County. Me and a buddy had a great time and got to harvest some nice pigs.

Here is mine taken with .308 win and my pet hunting load:
168 gr Barnes TTSX
Lapua case
44.1 gr Varget (2700 fps)
CCI BR2 primer
COAL 2.810

525.jpg

He weighs close to 300 lbs. and has 3" cutters. It took two shots to bring him down. The first was a quartering away shot from about 120 yards. The bullet impacted about 3" behind the rib cage on the left side and penetrated all the way into the armor plate in the front right shoulder, were it was recovered. This shot took out the liver and a lung. The pig immediately took off running and squealing and stopped about 100 yards later. I got to about 50 yards away and he was chomping his teeth at me. I put the second shot in the neck and killed him instantly.

Here are some more pics:

Big sharp tusks
539.jpg

Recovered TTSX that performed perfectly
541.jpg

542-1.jpg

The complete harvest
530.jpg

My buddy bagged two nice sows, one about 180 lbs. and the other about 120 lbs.

Re: First Pig

Man ya'll are some goofy lookin bastards!hehehe

I'm impressed with the TTSX... I'll give that guy a shot next year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 808Huntress</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats on a very nice boar and a couple nice sows. Did you do a guided hunt? If so, with whom and how would you rate them? </div></div>

I did do a guided hunt. It was with a local guy out of King City that I got booked with through a broker. The reason I went with them is becasue they give you a guarantee. They have a "no pig, no pay" policy and the price is competitive for a guided hunt in California, $625.

I would give them 11 out of 10 if I could. This was a top notch operation. My buddy and I were met by three guides and two vehicles. These guys had a combined 70+ years of guiding and hunting this area and they have accesss to over 100,000 acres so the pigs never feel pressured. The area we got these hogs hadn't been hunted in over two months. We probably saw close to 100 pigs in 2 hours of hunting before we decided on these. They also have a skinning shed with two big walk in freezers and a butchering room. They had the town butcher come out the next moring and butcher all three hogs and he was done by noon. It was $100 for this service, which is a little more than we could have gotten the butchering done for, but for the convenience of it I will pay the extra $15 to $20. The only thing they didn't have was a cabin for the guests, but that will be changing by the end of the year. They are almost finished with a 4 bedroom cabin. I highly, highly recommend this outfit.

If anyone would like the name of the guide or the broker send me a PM. I belive you can book directly with the guide and not go through the broker, but i'm not sure.