• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Plane of the Season

UgashikBob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2005
Outlet Lower Ugashik Lake AK
First plane of the season brought in the crew to set up a sonar counter for outbound salmon smolt today. Not that big a deal but it did contain the first people we've seen in quite awhile.
05102011-2.jpg

05102011-4.jpg

Re: First Plane of the Season

How long of a wait do you typically have for breakup? I'm still waiting here. Haven't seen anyone for a few weeks now. Probably be another week and a half to two weeks before the ice breaks up and clears out of the river. It snowed all day here yesterday and we still have 18" on the ground. I typically have 6-8 weeks of isolation in the fall for freezeup and 4-5 weeks for breakup. Thanks for sharing the pics.

YK:
Our breakup varies every year We were running ice for about 10 days. We get the same limbo periods in the fall and spring where we can't travel or get a plane in. These were the first humans we've seen since some villagers visited us in January.

Bob, I would imagine our ice conditions are a bit more predictable than yours would be. Judging from the pics you posted earlier this winter. I spent some time down in the Lake Clark/Port Alsworth area a while back and from the sounds of it winter travel can be a bit sketchy due to thin ice or a complete lack there of. We see a fair amount of traffic come through here with Iron Dog and intervillage travelers. There is also a nice hot spring near here and people from the village will drop in from time to time on their way to/from there. I must admit, I do relish the times when I know nobody will be dropping in.

Hello Bob I am above ya 300 miles north and my son is pretty close holed up in nelson lagoon waiting for the king run Its been a mild winter lots of birds flying 12 year old packed his kyak down to kill birds. have a great summer I have gotten drunker than snot in your little home town there. I was down there the summer of 98 on a 43 ft tender. I like the way the furuno was telling me I was driving on dry land coming up your river. I guess C map is not all its cracked up to be. I also hit that big ass sand bar in front of sand point when the tide was going out.You have great hunting down there I just got a stainless mini 14 ready as a seal gun on the power drift boat my son will run this summer.Lots of nice set netter folks had us to eat up and down that river great people take care Kim

YK:
We get a good combination of about 8 months of almost no one and 4 months of visitors.

PH:
According to my C map I'm been living several hundred yards out in the Lagoon. I've been down here since 85 and even then the all the charts were crap. Saw the first swallows two days ago.

Little early for the growlers. Have seen only two so far. Usually they beachcomb on both coasts before coming inland for the salmon runs. Just ordered more electric fence.

Nice pics Bob, thanks. Gotta love those Beavers!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LegioX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice pics Bob, thanks. Gotta love those Beavers!</div></div> +1, And their Otter brothers. Proven, reliable, and can relate to the "great to see" feelings. Thanks for sharing Bob.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice beaver.......Leslie Neilson </div></div>

Very funny!