• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

First precision gun. Good choice?

JohnnyC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2007
Under a big tent. Seriously.
So I've been reading a lot, posting none, trying to wrap my head around getting into precision shooting. I've read through all of the stickied threads and decided buy once, cry once, and get something good, but that I can afford to practice with since I'll need a lot of practice to get where I want. Where I want to get is making CCB shots out to 600 w/sub-MOA accuracy. I'm not under any delusions that I'll be shooting soup cans at a mile, I just want to be proficient within 600. I'd like to be able to shoot farther eventually but right now just want to become excellent at intermediate ranges.

That all being said, I can shoot MOA out to about 75 with my 10/22, and good hits to 400 with my RDS'd AR, but certainly not cool little clover leaves. I don't doubt that part of this is due to running a red dot, but it works for me. I think I've got the fundamentals down pretty well, and shoot well with my .30-06 Rem 700 hunting rifle, but it's definitely just a hunting rifle with no ranging or drop capability in my scope. Duplex reticle and covered turrets aren't real great for precision shooting like I'd like to do. It's zero'd 1.5" high at 100 and I haven't missed a deer yet so I consider that good enough to try and delve a little deeper. Sooooo.......let me know your thoughts on starting out gear wise.

I'm looking at the GAP Gladius bone stock. I like the idea of the short barrel being handy and I'm not looking to shoot super long range so I don't think the velocity gains from a longer barrel really appeal to me over the handiness of the gun. I like knowing that it'll shoot the pants off me so that I know that it's me, not the gun, and to keep working at it. I also like the idea of a nicely tuned trigger instead of the brick I'm trying to pull on my stock Rem. It's also adjustable, I like adjustability.

I'm thinking one of the FFP Nightforces, but cost-wise they look close to the Premiere's so would it be worth the extra coin to step up to the PH? I really like the Gen 2 XR on the Premier or the NP-RF1 on the NF.

I can reload but I think for starters a case or two of 175 SMK would let me get my practice on for a while and then start load development when my skills get up to par.

I don't plan on ever needing some super whiz bang 437 ultra mega magnum or super fancy bluetooth pda's with $6K laser rangefinders until I can put the gnat's ass in GA Precision, but I'd like to start with stuff that will get me proficient, and I'd rather spend the money up front than step through 3 or 4 rifles until I finally end up with a full custom build, which everyone seems to get to eventually. Does this seem counterintuitive?

I also plan on signing up for the online training once I get the gun. Borrowed the Magpul DVD's and while I think there's some good info buried in there, it's not quite what I'm looking for and seems a little too much like an ad for Horus products.

Let me have it, I've got a tax return and so help me I'll use it!!!!

Re: First precision gun. Good choice?

It sounds like you want a short/handy rifle. The GAP Gladius is a great option for a traditional style bolt action.

I went with a DTA SRS for my compact rifle and it has now replaced my longer rifles. The SRS is extremely compact and well balanced. With my 26" .260 barrel it is 36" long and with the 22" .308 it is 32" long.

The trigger is the SRS is very crisp and fully adjustable. You can even adjust the position of the trigger on the SRS.

I also like to have the ability to swap out calibers and train on the same platform w/o having to purchase an additional complete rifle and $3K optic.

This weekend, I ran my .260 conversion for the first time and it shoots better than I do. My first group after getting on the paper was .125" and all of my loads that I tested produced groups less than .5"

For the optic, I went with a Premier Heritage 5-25X56 w/ Gen 2 XR reticle. I have shot with Leupold, Nightforce, Schmidt & Bender, and IOR scopes in the past. In my opinion, the Premier, is just as good in terms of glass and repeatability as the S&B. I also like the Gen 2 XR Reticle and the cam locking turrets on the Premier. The cam locking turrets make it very quick to adjust the zero for my different caliber conversions.

Start out with the 168's FGMM if you're only shooting out to 600.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Start out with the 168's FGMM if you're only shooting out to 600. </div></div>

What practical advantage does the 168 get me over the 175? I've always shot heavier bullets in my AR's (Mk262/Hornady TAP 75/etc) and the faster twist of the Gladius seems to benefit the longer bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnnyC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Start out with the 168's FGMM if you're only shooting out to 600. </div></div>

What practical advantage does the 168 get me over the 175? I've always shot heavier bullets in my AR's (Mk262/Hornady TAP 75/etc) and the faster twist of the Gladius seems to benefit the longer bullets.</div></div>

None. The 168's are fine but the 175's will be better if you take it out farther than 800yds. So why screw around with a bullet that you wont be using? I'd actually suggest reloading ASAP it's a heck of a lot cheaper. My 500ct 175SMKs are on the on the way right now, and by fall I'll be ordering another.

You may want to look at used PH scopes. I have found a few of the that are lightly used at the same price as a Nightforce F1. Hurry up and buy them before I "have too".

Good call on the used PH. I typically don't buy used firearms and accessories unless it's something rare or something I'm missing from my collection that I really want. I might have to change that policy though.

Also, as luck would have it, work had a busted Nomad 900 that I picked up for free so unless it's something more than just the cracked screen I'll be into it for no more than the cost of the screen replacement and some software. I'm not in a rush though since it'll be a long time before I'm experienced enough to use it. FFS or Loadbase will have to be an added cost eventually.

I feel the same way wih used gear, but SwFA has a sample list. Check it out because then you are dealing with a business instead of an individual. Also from what I have read PH will transfer the warranty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnnyC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Start out with the 168's FGMM if you're only shooting out to 600. </div></div>

What practical advantage does the 168 get me over the 175? I've always shot heavier bullets in my AR's (Mk262/Hornady TAP 75/etc) and the faster twist of the Gladius seems to benefit the longer bullets. </div></div>

out to 600, the 168's will do better, in my experience. Past that, the 175's will perform better.