• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Precision Rifle for Mammoth Challenge

bonesaw00001

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2019
Hi Y'all,

I'm hoping to get set up for the Mammoth Challenge in 2021 (along with taking some precision rifle courses along the way this year), and I need a rifle!

Requirements:
Caliber: Likely 6.5 CM, unless you've got a good reason otherwise.
Cost: Preferably <$2k, better if <$1.5k
Weight: 8-9lbs or less without scope, bipod, or ammo (have to ruck it all over the place, so definite premium on weight)
Accuracy: <1 moa with factory match ammo
Action: No preference; okay with bolt or semi-auto, but I imagine bolt will be cheaper and lighter

Planning to pair with a Vortex Viper Gen 2 PST 5-24x that I got off the marketplace here.

My teammate for Mammoth ended up with a Savage 110 in .308; I'd presumably be the primary shooter now that I'm not bringing a 5.56 rifle.

I'd hoped to just mount the scope on an 5.56mm AR-15 that I already had until I had a better idea of a future precision rifle, but it's 1.5-2moa with match ammo and as much as $700 to rebarrel it and change its handguard, A2 sight post/gas block, handguard, etc.

So far, I've been considering the Savage 110 tactical line or Tikka T3x variant (both about 9 lbs). The Ruger PRS looks heavier than I want to deal with at 11 lbs. Any factory or custom rifles you might recommend?

Thanks in advance and let me know if you have other questions!

Last edited:
@cageli Any thoughts on 20" vs 24" barrels for the CTR? From what I read on other threads, it's likely a 100 fps difference in velocity, which has a minimal effect on holdover and accuracy out to a 1000 yds. On the other hand, it's an easy 1/2 lb to shave off rifle weight and makes the entire package handier, especially if eventually adding a suppressor. Looks like a lot of anecdotes from folks happy with both form factors.

Thank you!

@cageli Any thoughts on 20" vs 24" barrels for the CTR? From what I read on other threads, it's likely a 100 fps difference in velocity, which has a minimal effect on holdover and accuracy out to a 1000 yds. On the other hand, it's an easy 1/2 lb to shave off rifle weight and makes the entire package handier, especially if eventually adding a suppressor. Looks like a lot of anecdotes from folks happy with both form factors.

Thank you!
I get exactly 100 fps difference between the 20 and 24”. I like the 20” better. I can hit the same. Just add a few tenths.

MPA production class rifle, I'm not sure there's a better deal for a psr type setup. https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-ba-pmr-competition-rifle/ It's heavier than you want though. The Tikka is a better choice than the Savage, I've sold most of my Savage's and currently have three tikkas. The Tikka is nicer than my stiller action. I'd put it in a different stock or chassis.

Thank you!

As others have said, 20” is a better option for the scenario.

I think the sig Cross should check a lot of boxes. Or if you wanna increase your budget the fix

@cleric I'd been looking at the Sig Cross - I'll probably pick up one once they become more readily available. It'd be awesome if the BLK LBL bipod/handguard could be incorporated into that thing. I noticed the barrel on the Cross is only 18" in Creedmoor. The Fix is a little too much for my limited budget.

I went ahead and ordered a Tikka CTR in 20" 6.5CM today. Hopefully it gets in soon!

@NewsShooter Appreciate the redirect to the MPA. Looks compelling! Good to know on your experiences with Savage rifles. My teammate for next year's event got one, so we'll have a chance to compare how they perform.

@NewsShooter Appreciate the redirect to the MPA. Looks compelling! Good to know on your experiences with Savage rifles. My teammate for next year's event got one, so we'll have a chance to compare how they perform.

The Savage rifles I had shot well, just not as smooth and polished as other actions, accuracy was never an issue. My LRP in 6.5 CM still shot as well as my Tikka's or custom actions with 2K rounds down the barrel. My current .223 with a takeoff F class barrel shoots one hole at 100 with Black hills 77 SMK if I do my part.

I just finished a rifle that meets all your above requirements by a long shot. Sub 1/2 moa with factory ammo, 6.5 Creed, 7lb before the scope and rings, full size adjustable stock, full length barrel... but it's about 5 grand not 1500.

Keep us posted on its progress for 2021?

Totally resurrecting a dead thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for a preferred bipod? My partner's running a Harris and I've been training with an academy knock off of a Harris. Budget's <$400, <$200 preferably, so no ckye pods but I'd she'll out for an Atlas or TBAC bipod if it's the way to go.

We ended up missing the registration for 2021 mammoth but are signed up for 2022!

The rifle and bipod I use for this is exactly what I use in every other rifle match. The times and distances are not difficult and your rifle isn't the place to compromise; it's still a rifle match. The place you save weight is not bringing shit you don't need (specially too much ammo or water as both are heavy). You'll be fine with a Harris or Atlas; each has pros and cons.

I have both an Atlas bipod and Harris. Ive used Harris a lot over the years and when I was in the Army. They are rugged and simple. The Atlas definitely has more adjustments and can be placed in different positions that the Harris cant. They both will serve you well and both are rugged designs. Sometimes the extra features are good and sometimes simple fast deployment is good.

Sounds good; thanks y'all!
I sold all my harris bipods and bought a TBAC. It is very similar in function to a fully upgraded harris(which can run over $200 anyway) and its made from better materials with a lot of thought gone into what to use where.

I sold all my harris bipods and bought a TBAC. It is very similar in function to a fully upgraded harris(which can run over $200 anyway) and its made from better materials with a lot of thought gone into what to use where.
For about double the cost.... pardon my asking, but "similar in function" (your words, not mine) for double the cost seems unnecessary. Better material doesn't mean a whole lot since I can only assume your "better materials" eludes to more longevity (might be lighter weight so correct me if I'm wrong in assuming that isn't your primary factor of "better"). Harris bipods will exceed the durability needs of anybody who isn't a complete Neanderthal, at least in my opinion.

There HAS to be some other functionality that is worth the extra $200 cost for the TBAC

@Coyote-6 sounds like you're pretty sold on a Harris lol. I don't have a problem with Harris and I did keep one that attaches to swivel studs and to put on my kids rifles.

From the leg springs working at any length rather than just when fully collapsed to the cant lever never working loose and staying the same all day. The ability to kick the legs out 45⁰. Plus the QD feet to add leg extensions and claw feet is awesome.

It functions smoother which matters when are on the clock or setting up a shot hunting. The coatings are bombproof and it's built square which a Harris is not known for with it's stamped steel construction.

@Coyote-6 sounds like you're pretty sold on a Harris lol. I don't have a problem with Harris and I did keep one that attaches to swivel studs and to put on my kids rifles.

From the leg springs working at any length rather than just when fully collapsed to the cant lever never working loose and staying the same all day. The ability to kick the legs out 45⁰. Plus the QD feet to add leg extensions and claw feet is awesome.

It functions smoother which matters when are on the clock or setting up a shot hunting. The coatings are bombproof and it's built square which a Harris is not known for with it's stamped steel construction.
All fair points! But then I wouldn't say that's mearly similar functionality, I'd say it's superior in many material ways.

I'm not for any given product, but I always hesitate to spend more money to do the same thing (at the end of the day, they're just meant to prop the barrel up instead of a pack, or freehand), all else - reliability, basic functionality, longevity - being equal. I've seen guys run top-of-the-line-everything because they feel that you get what you pay for is the only ideology out there. But I subscribe to that idea with a huge caveat; the law of diminishing returns.

I do like hearing if new things though, and the TBAC is certainly one. So thanks!

All fair points! But then I wouldn't say that's mearly similar functionality, I'd say it's superior in many material ways.

I'm not for any given product, but I always hesitate to spend more money to do the same thing (at the end of the day, they're just meant to prop the barrel up instead of a pack, or freehand), all else - reliability, basic functionality, longevity - being equal. I've seen guys run top-of-the-line-everything because they feel that you get what you pay for is the only ideology out there. But I subscribe to that idea with a huge caveat; the law of diminishing returns.

I do like hearing if new things though, and the TBAC is certainly one. So thanks!
It is really similar in function as far as where the levers and buttons are, but rather than stamped and pinned, it's precision machined and fit together. If you have any questions about it let me know. I love helping fellow gun nuts spend money on cool stuff.

I'm certainly happy with mine and feel even better supporting a company in my home state.

@Coyote-6: I recommend you invest half an hour checking out lowlight's posts here about the Harris, then listen to one or two of his podcasts where he lays it out in more detail.

@bonesaw00001: If the Ckye-pod is out of your budget, the TBAC at $395 and 14.5 oz could be your best bet.

You might also want to check out the options from Tier 1 in case they're lighter, but we don't have many reports here on the Hide about how they've stood up in field matches yet.

For about double the cost.... pardon my asking, but "similar in function" (your words, not mine) for double the cost seems unnecessary. Better material doesn't mean a whole lot since I can only assume your "better materials" eludes to more longevity (might be lighter weight so correct me if I'm wrong in assuming that isn't your primary factor of "better"). Harris bipods will exceed the durability needs of anybody who isn't a complete Neanderthal, at least in my opinion.

There HAS to be some other functionality that is worth the extra $200 cost for the TBAC

Well for one a TBAC won't break in the middle of a stage, which has happened countless times with a Harris...

I have participated (shooter and RO) in upwards of 60 matches and I've never seen a Harris give up the ghost in the middle of a COF. I've also carried them all over the world without breaking. Without maintenance the legs don't always want to telescope freely and it is possible to accidentally actuate the button and drop a leg or both by loading into objects you are shooting over. They aren't as robust as some others but they aren't fragile. Their greatest advantage is the speed with which you can deploy or stow them due to being spring loaded but that design also makes them less than ideal for high angle up hill although it's rare you need to do that. There are definitely better designs but I still use them from time to time in matches and they are still issued so I use them at work all the time and they get the job done.

I have participated (shooter and RO) in upwards of 60 matches and I've never seen a Harris give up the ghost in the middle of a COF. I've also carried them all over the world without breaking. Without maintenance the legs don't always want to telescope freely and it is possible to accidentally actuate the button and drop a leg or both by loading into objects you are shooting over. They aren't as robust as some others but they aren't fragile. Their greatest advantage is the speed with which you can deploy or stow them due to being spring loaded but that design also makes them less than ideal for high angle up hill although it's rare you need to do that. There are definitely better designs but I still use them from time to time in matches and they are still issued so I use them at work all the time and they get the job done.

I've definitely seen them break.

- The legs are made of stamped metal, and commonly aren't square.
- Adjustment range is generally very limited.
- The bipod can collapse on you if you move it in the wrong direction.
- Not very feature rich, and once you are done spending money upgrading the Harris, you spent the same money on an Atlas, and you still just have a stamped metal bipod that isn't square.

To each their own, but there are much better options out there these days. A Yugo can take you from Point A to B, but I would rather do the journey in a Cadillac.

The atlas may be more hefty and solidly built than a harris but its also a fucking pain in the ass to use compared to the harris.

potato potato.

Reactions: moosemeat
A leg on one of Harris collapsed set on the third notch while "setting" the gun just a tad too hard at the UT hunter match this summer... Spring binded and locked the thing on the second notch for the rest of the match...

The "drop" was just a notch above "kinda harsh"... bomb proof they are not.

Not to be that guy, but I finished second with Harris bi-pods last year, in tough man division. It’s basically square range shooting with various problem sets attached. I love the Harris hate, lots of won matches and combat deployments with them.

edit: not trying to be pompous, or whatever, of course spend money on whatever bipods you prefer. There’s a lot of good ones. But Harris bipods will definitely not hold anyone back at Mammoth. That’s what I’m trying to say.

Last edited:
Not to be that guy, but I finished second with Harris bi-pods last year, in tough man division. It’s basically square range shooting with various problem sets attached. I love the Harris hate, lots of won matches and combat deployments with them.

edit: not trying to be pompous, or whatever, of course spend money on whatever bipods you prefer. There’s a lot of good ones. But Harris bipods will definitely not hold anyone back at Mammoth. That’s what I’m trying to say.

What height Harris did you use? 6-9 or 9-13?

What height Harris did you use? 6-9 or 9-13?
6-9 was my go to. However I will admit this year I am carrying the Ckyepod, I ended up training with the Ckyes all year since mammoth and they’ve really grown on me. For mammoth I’m using the PRS length. If I need to go higher I’ll transition to a tripod. That’s my plan this year. It’ll be a little extra weight.