• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

First Precision Rifle

Skeld1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2010
Maine
Nothing special yet. An SPS Tactical in .308, Harris Bipod, 15 MOA EGW base, and a Bushnell Elite Tactical 5-15X. Haven't fired it yet, will soon. I see what everyone means about the stock touching when it rests on the bipod. Might not touch on mine but it's very close. A stock upgrade will be in order at somepoint...not sure what though.

DSC04016.jpg

DSC04018.jpg

Re: First Precision Rifle

Looks good, now go give us a range report. lol

As for not being special, it will always be special, it's your First Precision Rifle..
wink.gif

mine looked something like this at one time also!

Cangrats Im sure youll love it!

great start! Have a great time shooting it for the first time

Great starting rifle.

Some common things I notice...

Make sure the rear of your bolt handle doesnt touch the stock. Its common on those. If it is, use a file or small rasp to relieve it(remove stock material, not bolt handle material.)
Also make sure the barrel is floated all the way out like you mentioned. If you notice somewhere its touching, try to relieve it by filing or sanding that part of the stock away.
Dont over tighten the action screws. 45 inch pounds is plenty for that set up.

Get a bolt knob so you can work the bolt easily and get quick at bolt manipulation
grin.gif

Good luck and happy shootin!

Ok thank you for the tips. It looks good where the bolt handle is I think.

I have a question. I have a Yukon NVRS-F Gen. 1 night vision scope that I bought. Kind of cheesy I know. Unfortunately I found that when I mount it to this gun I can't open the bolt enough to bring it back. It is very close but not quite enough to get it open. What could I add to this gun to remedy this problem? Another bolt seems like the only thing that would allow me to use the night vision scope.

Also, if I wanted to add a suppressor what would be the best way to go about that? Get the current barrel threaded or buy another? I'm not sure I have any gunsmiths in my area that could do that work.

Now that I think about it I could get some sort of picatinny rail riser that attachs to my picatinny base and then gives me a little more height. That would probably solve that problem.

Here's a group I shot yesterday...I'm not that experienced and I don't have any bench rest equipment so I was pleased. I was actually laying in the back of my truck on the bipod and the target was at 100 yds.

216414_1873313280231_1463132220_1966187_2442692_n.jpg

If you've got a drum sander, those are great for sanding the stock. Use the correct size drum (slightly smaller than the profile of the stock) and it's a breeze to remove the material to free float the stock. Just use a fine grit sand paper on the drum.

Not sure what twist rate the sps is but I think it is 1:12. For shooting surpressed with subsonic ammo 180 gr a 1:10 twist rate for subsonic...By this shooting a slower heavier bullet need a quicker twist rate...I am still researching this myself but this is what I have found so far....
Enjoy the new rifle...

Certainly the advice of shooting more is noted. The ammo I used is Federal 165 Gr. Vital Shok. I know the FGMM would be better for target practice but I may be doing some hunting with the gun so I thought I would stick with hunting ammo for now.

Yes, I believe it is a 1:12 twist. Would that be bad for a suppressor? I would not be shooting subsonic ammo if I had a suppressor.

You could also try the Federal 150grn soft point. Ive had great success with these in my sps tactical if your planning on hunting.

Just an update...tried shooting at a "longish" range (425 yds) for the first time. It was windy (10 MPH, maybe more at times at 10 o'clock) and I didn't have a good point of aim on the plate as the paper target blew off on the first shot. But I was pleased I hit the plate 10 out 10 shots. It is a rather large plate I know, but still I was happy to hit it! Next time I will paint a small dot on it since apparently when the bullet shatters it shreds the hell out of the stick on type target.

SteelPlate.jpg

Glad to see you are out enjoying your rifle. Before you know it, "longish" distances will be much farther than 425 for you!
smile.gif

Yes, I will be working further back for sure in the near future. I don't have all the tools to do a really good job figuring ballistics. My program told me to do 6.9 MOA but it ended up being closer to 6.25 MOA. It was close enough to hit on the first shot at that distance though. The margin of error will be much less further back so I will work up to it. Also wind is a mystery to me, but I imagine it takes awhile to acquire that skill and even then it isn't a sure thing.

That's the exact setup I went with(Different Scope though). Now it's time for you to start handloading some ammo. If you need some tips on the most inexpensive route that will yield the best results without breaking the bank just PM me.