• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First PRS Rifle

Dakota24

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2021
SD/CO
Hello everyone, done a lot of reading on the Hide but just recently joined. Am looking for a rifle to get into PRS-type shooting with (already have a hunting rig so this will be strictly competition) and have a few options that I am having trouble deciding on.

First off, the decision of whether to build or to buy. Were I to buy, it would likely be the MPA BA PMR Pro. If I were to build, however, I have enough of a budget to splurge on the action and barrel or the chassis/stock, but not both. I have been looking at the Lone Peak Fuzion barreled action from Blue Mountain Precision as well as the Impact 737r with the pre-fit Stuteville barrel off their website. Both cost roughly the same and would allow me to save money by not involving a smith. In these cases, I would probably end up getting a KRG Bravo or something a little more cost-effective.

So my question is do I go with the MPA BA PMR Pro and have a top-notch stock and then upgrade the action and barrel eventually while saving a little money up front, or do I go with a premium action/barrel with a temporary Bravo until I find out which stock/chassis system fits me best down the road?

Another option would be TS Customs due to my location. Would this be worth doing or would a build through them be overkill/out of my price range (~3k not including optics)?

Thanks!

Id build on the bravo and go from there. If the bravo suits you can really kit it out and you will not loose your investment if its not for you.

Right now im looking at actions and the LP is what id go with if i do 90 deg lift. 60 deg would mean terminus for me.

Id build on the bravo and go from there. If the bravo suits you can really kit it out and you will not loose your investment if its not for you.

Right now im looking at actions and the LP is what id go with if i do 90 deg lift. 60 deg would mean terminus for me.
All of this. Had a Manners ($1,300+) and a Bravo ($380) fits me better in the grip to trigger reach. I am also running a Terminus Zeus with the quick change barrel.

In my limited experiance the only problem with the bravo (considering its price range and features) is that every other guy is running one! Great stock. Easy to fit accessories and they are readily available.

I have recently gone to an MDT ACC and I like it much better but its $1000 dearer..... the bravo wins the entry, econony and simplicity stakes.

Also keep an eye on the PX here. You can get a great price on a chassis used

Reactions: Dakota24
Take some of that money and get a good scope. $2,000 minimum. Mark 5, ATACR, razor Gen ii, etc. You’ll kick yourself in a year if you skimp on glass.
This.

I bought a $2500 scope and put it on a $700 rifle. Added a bravo with ARCA and spigot a little later. Then bought an action, and a barrel, and a trigger over the better part of a year.

When the barrel was shot out of the original rifle I swapped in the custom, and had that original action rebarrelled. I'll keep rotating through them as I need barrels, and probably keep collecting actions and barrels in other cartridges that catch my attention. Same goes for chassis and glass. As I see the need, I'll grab a new scope and put another one together.

Take some of that money and get a good scope. $2,000 minimum. Mark 5, ATACR, razor Gen ii, etc. You’ll kick yourself in a year if you skimp on glass.
I have some separate money set aside for a razor gen ii as I get the mil/leo discount with vortex. Thank you for the input!

So my question is do I go with the MPA BA PMR Pro and have a top-notch stock and then upgrade the action and barrel eventually while saving a little money up front, or do I go with a premium action/barrel with a temporary Bravo until I find out which stock/chassis system fits me best down the road?

I say option B. Both the Blue Mountain Precision/Lone Peak or Impact/Stuteville builds are going to be stellar options, and something you can run long term no matter how many times you change other components of the build. If you go Impact that does open up more options for the second hand market if you were to consider pairing it with a Foundation stock (another popular and excellent choice) as the Impact inlet on those is more common. For a chassis system like MPA/MDT it wouldn't matter since the inlet is the same (generic R700 pattern vs CNC custom fit).

He said ~3K, not including optics... so I'm assuming he's already budgeted for optics. (I do agree Scott @LibertyOptics is great to work with)

If you have 3K, buy a barreled action that is going to last you awhile and you aren't going to be wanting to upgrade in a few months. (Buy once, cry once). It's EASY to swap stocks... swapping actions is a bigger deal.

That said, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the MPA BA PMR Pro... That is a Curtis action I believe... There are also plenty of other great actions out there, some might be a little less expensive even (TL3, Defiance, etc.)

Hello everyone, done a lot of reading on the Hide but just recently joined. Am looking for a rifle to get into PRS-type shooting with (already have a hunting rig so this will be strictly competition) and have a few options that I am having trouble deciding on.

First off, the decision of whether to build or to buy. Were I to buy, it would likely be the MPA BA PMR Pro. If I were to build, however, I have enough of a budget to splurge on the action and barrel or the chassis/stock, but not both. I have been looking at the Lone Peak Fuzion barreled action from Blue Mountain Precision as well as the Impact 737r with the pre-fit Stuteville barrel off their website. Both cost roughly the same and would allow me to save money by not involving a smith. In these cases, I would probably end up getting a KRG Bravo or something a little more cost-effective.

Another option would be TS Customs due to my location. Would this be worth doing or would a build through them be overkill/out of my price range (~3k not including optics)?

Thanks!
The KRG Bravo will not fit actions with trigger hangers unless you do modifications.

I have some separate money set aside for a razor gen ii as I get the mil/leo discount with vortex. Thank you for the input!

I've had Scott actually beat the Vortex Mil/LEO pricing before (when you tally up shipping, taxes, etc)... especially if he's going to run a July 4th sale (I suspect he will).. so it's worth price checking.

Have you tried a chassis yet? I bought one and sold it... figured out I'm not a "chassis" guy... just didn't "feel right" to me... I tend to like the Manners with the integrated DBM and internal chassis... that way it "feels" like a traditional stock, but I get the benefits of not having to bed actions and all that mess.

This may sound weird, but if you haven't gotten to play with a lot of different actions and stocks, I'd recommend maybe showing up to a local PRS match... you'll see a bunch of different stuff and my experience is that PRS shooters love helping people get into the sport.

I've had Scott actually beat the Vortex Mil/LEO pricing before (when you tally up shipping, taxes, etc)... especially if he's going to run a July 4th sale (I suspect he will).. so it's worth price checking.

Have you tried a chassis yet? I bought one and sold it... figured out I'm not a "chassis" guy... just didn't "feel right" to me... I tend to like the Manners with the integrated DBM and internal chassis... that way it "feels" like a traditional stock, but I get the benefits of not having to bed actions and all that mess.

This may sound weird, but if you haven't gotten to play with a lot of different actions and stocks, I'd recommend maybe showing up to a local PRS match... you'll see a bunch of different stuff and my experience is that PRS shooters love helping people get into the sport.
Thanks for the heads up about Scott, I’ll definitely check that option out and contact him.

I have not had the chance to check out as many chassis and stock options as I’d like to, so that is a great idea. I’ll have to see if there’s one nearby I can make.

Thanks for the heads up about Scott, I’ll definitely check that option out and contact him.

I have not had the chance to check out as many chassis and stock options as I’d like to, so that is a great idea. I’ll have to see if there’s one nearby I can make.
Where are you located?

If you can qualify for vortex mil/Leo discount, sign up for the leupold one and get a mk5hd in the new pr2-mil reticle. I'm just not a a fan of the big razor. The glass is so so, reticle is a mess, turret zero stop is a pita to set. It's weight is ridiculous and makes rifle top heavy, means when working the bolt more chances of moving your rifle off target on barricades and props. Or nightforce! The atacr 5-25x56 with mil xt would make a hell of a prs scope too.
😄 🤣 😂 😆

Wonder why in the world its the most popular scope across the board...by a massive margin

OP, here's a solid deal on a chassis:

OP, here's a solid deal on a chassis:

Not a great PRS chassis considering there are BA Comp in the PX for not much more

Sounded like funds were limited, thought it might serve as an intro chassis if it squeaked in under budget. Up to the OP, but yeah, BA Comps are often up for grabs in the $750-$800 range, some for sale now.

Not a great PRS chassis considering there are BA Comp in the PX for not much more
Speak of the devil:

OP, I don't know if this helps, but I live in the Denver area and have a Bad Rock South Fork. It is a Defiance action with an MDT LSS-XL Gen2 Chassis. The LSS-XL is very similar to the ACC chassis so it might give you a feel for the ACC if you're leaning that way. PM me if you'd like to meet up and put some shots downrange.

Remember, it's the "Indian" not the "arrow" as they say...

I have to disagree with the guys who said you have to spend $2k on an optic too, maybe a couple years ago, but not these days, no way.

If you value having fun and becoming a better shooter more than you care about having the coolest rifle you can afford, take your budget and subtract how much $$$ it'll cost in ammo/components to burn out a barrel... and make that your real budget. Surprisingly, these days that doesn't mean you'll have to shoot something that's total crap either.

You'll end up a far better shooter and will know exactly what you want when/if you choose to upgrade your rig down the road.

I love my KRG W-3 w/ Bravo butt. That being said, my Manners CS-2 has got to be my favorite platform so far. It’s all in the design…it’s actually wider than the Bravo/W-3, but feels much better in the hand for anything that isn’t riding a bag or bipod. It’s adjustable for LOP if you want that and you can get it with an adjustable cheek piece. Add the mini-chassis and you basically have a Manners chassis system.

I currently have a few manners, few Mcmillan’s, krg whiskey 3 ans bravo, and mpa ba comp. I have 6 different custom actions and honestly all I can tell you is not too cheap out. The stock/chassis is where I’d “cheap out on” and get the barreled action exactly the way you want it. Weather that be the Curtis in the mpa, or terminus (I prefer terminus over Curtis 100 times over), or going with the lone peak or impact. In the end it’s easier to upgrade just the stock then entire barrel and action as even if you keep same caliber, head spacing is different and brass might not work.

The bravo is simply awesome! There’s stocks/chassis I prefer but not by a lot. When your talking the price of the bravo it simply can’t be beat.

Last edited:
id much prefer a TL3/Impact/Lone Peak/Mausingfield/Terminus and using a Bravo for a bit until i REALLY found out what i liked than ever run a curtis action

same with the razor. at $1600 NIB i still dont know what beats it, even at $2k or $2500. maybe some day you want to get a 7-35 atacr or a ZCO or TT, but it'll be a long time before a RG2 is ousted from the sub $2k pricepoint

the action is gonna last forever (or at least until you upgrade to something new and hip like everyone did when impact came out)
the barrel might last a season
the chassis/stock market is exploding right now