• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns First range day with my Combat Precision Commander

Bruiser_Joe

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2009
Hell
So finally made it to range today to break in the new commander built by Chris. I approached Chris James of combat precision about a year ago to build me a good solid carry commander. I have certain things i like on my 1911's (flat trigger, wilson bulletproof ambi, tritium front and black rear sights, chen magwell), he was more then happy to do that and work with me.

Initial impressions of the gun is the fit and finish is really good, grip treatment is awesome, he did a great job with the dehorn i asked him to do. He used his proprietary rear sight which i really like. Trigger break is super clean and right at 3.5lbs. Magwell was fit really nicely. Very impressed with the build. True test was getting to the range.

Got it out today shot about 300 rounds through it, only put slight amount of frog lube on the frame rails and went at it. Shooting winchester ball out of wilson and tripp 8 round mags. Not a single hiccup it ate everything.

POA/POI was right on at 10-12 yard line

2 mags offhand slow fire at 12-15 right tendency is from me and my trigger squeeze, its consistant so lay off me, lol.

sped it up for three mags and got this at 10

i'm not a huge group guy, i refuse to shoot off a bench. if it goes where i want it or where i felt it go then its good enough but i know people like group pics.

i'm very pleased with the gun, will continue to shoot it and get it to that 500-1000 round feel i like so much when everything is like greased ball bearings

He is a young smith and doesn't have quite the name as the bigger boys in the 1911 game but is putting out some top tier work.

Reccomended

Last edited:
Very nice 1911 and thanks for introducing a new 'smith. I know what you're saying about shooting groups, particularly with a handgun but that's some good shooting standing on your two feet from awful hand.