• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First rangefinder

Photobug

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2021
Jackson, WY
I have a number of binocs from Nikons to Swarovski and a Viper 20-60x85 spotting scope. I am considering adding a range finder to my optics.

Could a good quality rangefinder be used in place of a binocular for field use? I am wavering between Vortex Ranger and the Razor.

What's your budget?

Yes a monocular could be used in place of binoculars but why? What are YOUR needs and wants?

This has been beaten to death and it usually comes away with a good set of ranging binos > two devices. I'm moving in this direction and will be better equipped, punny 😁, to give a better answer next time. 🤠

Price no object = Leica 3200.com binoculars.
Best value = probably Sig Kilo3000BDX binoculars.
Monocular = best deal you can find on a leica unit. The farther it can range, the better. There's often deals to be found on these in the PX.

There are excellent options in rangefinder binoculars and this weekend the Super Sale Weekend at Camera Land Returns Today - Monday April 19th and we can save you some good $$$$

Take a look at our site or give us a call. As a longtime supporting vendor here on the forum it would be my pleasure to assist you with this. Please give me a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss it. Have a great day,
Doug

Reactions: iceng
I have a number of binocs from Nikons to Swarovski and a Viper 20-60x85 spotting scope. I am considering adding a range finder to my optics.

Could a good quality rangefinder be used in place of a binocular for field use? I am wavering between Vortex Ranger and the Razor.
Razor work great. Gotten out to 1200 on trees without actually testing very seriously. Battery life is pretty good also.

What's your budget?

Yes a monocular could be used in place of binoculars but why? What are YOUR needs and wants?

This has been beaten to death and it usually comes away with a good set of ranging binos > two devices. I'm moving in this direction and will be better equipped, punny 😁, to give a better answer next time. 🤠

Price no object = Leica 3200.com binoculars.
Best value = probably Sig Kilo3000BDX binoculars.
Monocular = best deal you can find on a leica unit. The farther it can range, the better. There's often deals to be found on these in the PX.
I can't rationalize a pair of $1000+ dollar binocs. I usually don't carry binocs because of the weight/size of the ones I own. If I am hiking in a scenic area i might be carrying my camera which might have a big lens.

So I was considering a monocular range finder to get me some magnification in a small package with the bonus of rangefinding capability. I lean towards Vortex because of past luck with their product, and the price is right, $440. I am in no rush to buy one but it is next on my list of toys to buy.

yeah, if there is something out there that you just want a closer look at, a rangefinder will work.
if you want to scan the horizon for something, it would work better than nothing, and that's about all i can say about that.

Just ordered a Leica 3500.com. I was leaning toward the 2800.com but when Steve from CameraLand confirmed the new Leica warranty covers their LRF (10yrs) I couldn't pass it up. My past experience with Leica has always been positive.RZR 4000 was nice for the price but I like the ability of Leica to link to my phone.

The leica rangefinders have very nice glass. I'd intended to get lrf binos but decided after looking through the range finder to get separate units. I have the 2800 and its tiny. Not as useful as a good bino but for something to throw in your pocket its great.

The leica rangefinders have very nice glass. I'd intended to get lrf binos but decided after looking through the range finder to get separate units. I have the 2800 and its tiny. Not as useful as a good bino but for something to throw in your pocket its great.
I kinda like the monocular range finders as they are pretty useful for spotting when compact and a lower magnification are assets

The problem I've found with my Geovid is their bulk makes it difficult to push the button to range and at the same time hold steady for an accurate distance reading. Great class.

yeah, if there is something out there that you just want a closer look at, a rangefinder will work.
if you want to scan the horizon for something, it would work better than nothing, and that's about all i can say about that.
I guess it is time to admit my eyes aren't what they used to be. I was at the range about 2 weeks ago and was marveling at the huge heard of deer(over 50) at the outer distances and even 3 elk just up the hill. I watched them for an hour never realizing there were another 100 head of elk further up the hill until someone else pointed them out.

I am getting that the consensus is to wait till I can afford Leica glass. Since I have no immediate need for a range finder I will hold off until I can spend that kind of money and hopefully get to try some out in the meantime.

The .com feature of the Leica seems to get praises with the ability to export info to a phone app. Does anyone not use an app or a ballistic computer? Are there any competitions that prohibit use of electronics like RF and ballistic computers?