• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First real build, my Black Rain mini-SASS lite

Badlands

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2011
Casper/Worland WY
Well, where to start...
I'm new to this forum(obviously), but in no way am I new to guns, shooting, hunting, etc. I'm in the process of getting my FFL and hopefull class 3, since wyoming is greatly lacking. I've had some very nice long range sticks, but never joined here before selling them(Barrett 82A1 and Whitefeather) for a diamond ring(a very large one at that ahahaha!). Things guys will do for a woman(in this case,.....the right one
grin.gif
)

So I'd been looking at what to buy for the longest time. the problem I was having, is that I never keep anything normal. So I decided to build an "SPR". I was leaning toward a Navy MK12 build, but really didn't like upper rail for stiffening. I liked that Mini-SASS, but I would have to change a few things, and it weighed a ton. So I came up with my own version of the SASS, I call it my sass-lite. Since the whole rifle weighed in at under 8lbs(not including scope) compared to the near 10 ACTUAL empty pounds of the dpms.

sorry, but for some reason I can't get the pics at a better resolution from my compter, and they're cell phone pics to boot.
l.jpg

l.jpg

Build Sheet(probably forgetting a lot)
Black Rain Ordnance matched upper and lower
BRO Charging handle(serious meat on it)
BRO NiB BCG
Black Hole Weaponry 18" Mid 1:8" 5.56 barrel
Centurion Arms C4 12" rail(super-lite weight)
Timney skeletonized 3lb trigger unit
KNS Gen 2 mod 2 anti-roll pins(not needed, but wanted)
Wilson Combat LPK, UPK, and Gas Tube(yes, I WANTED gas)
Vltor SS low-pro Gas Block-Black
Gemtech/Vortex QD Flash hider(in conj. w/my Quicksand)
Magpul UBR stock w/strike plate and ext. butt pad.
Spikes T2 Heavy Buffer(very different feel, undecided still)
Troy front and rear BUIS, M4
Larue Tactical adjustable bipod
LT SPR mount
Nightforce ZeroStop w/NP-R2

I really love this gun, I couldn't be happier with the build(still undecided with the Spikes T2), it was very simple to make this weapon. I can't wait to get out and get a full range report when I can!!!

Badlands, AT1(AW) USN

**Note about the BRO upper, it will work with the BAD lever....but, and that a BIG BUT, it will contact your receiver everytime, I noticed this while assembling the rifle, and took it off for future use on something else. Not a big deal, but just FYI

Re: First real build, my Black Rain mini-SASS lite

Nice looking rig. I agree it feels a little different, but I actually like the T2 buffer

Nice looking build. I have heard good things about black rain. Can't wait to see the range report.

I just wish I had better pics, the pics do not do this girl any justice. As soon as I get back I will get out throw some weight down range. Got to get ready for the Yote's!

I have a DPMS Mini-SASS and you are correct it does weigh allot for what it is but it is a shooter. When I add a suppressor to it is even gets heavier - definitely a prone rifle.

I like what you built but do need some pics of it in action.

I built a SPR on a BRO set that I purchased from a member here. Couldn't be happier with how it looks. I haven't been able to shoot it yet, but it sure does make my safe look pretty.

I own a DMPS sass ar10, I love the gun but am thinking of selling it due to weight. On the base gun not including optics , what can really be done to dump a ton of weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a DPMS Mini-SASS and you are correct it does weigh allot for what it is but it is a shooter. When I add a suppressor to it is even gets heavier - definitely a prone rifle.

I like what you built but do need some pics of it in action. </div></div>

Will do when I get back from Det!
So please, don't take it as I don't like the SASS or mini-SASS, I LOVE THEM!!! just didn't care for the weight of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GMR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own a DMPS sass ar10, I love the gun but am thinking of selling it due to weight. On the base gun not including optics , what can really be done to dump a ton of weight. </div></div>

Well, the big difference is the the barrel, forearm, and stock weight. The barrel i used is a Black Hole Weaponry, it's not at big of a bull as the SASS series, but will hold, if not better due to the P3 profiling. The forearm I used was super lite, not sure the weight of the SASS ones, but I know it's heavier. The stocks I know are pretty comparable, but the UBR beats it out. That being said, I probably shot myself in the foot adding the Spikes T2 tungsten buffer to the set up.

I like it

Well, you will certainly be safe when the zombies finally show up! Nice build buddy.