• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First reloads through my .308

Metalhead0483

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2008
Brunswick, GA
Well I've had my .308 for about three months now and have been skating through on a case of Hornaday match ammo I got a smoking deal on. The rifle is an SPS tactical that I dropped in a B&C Light Tactical stock with a Bushnell 4200 6-24 tactical on top.

With the Hornaday ammo my groups were uninspiring, consistently around 1 MOA which I was a little disappointed in to be honest. My other remingtons (a .223 and .243) have both shot better than that out of the box. So when I ran out of the factory stuff I was looking forward to seeing if the rifle would do better with some handloads. So I ordered 250 Nosler 168grn BTHP Custom Competition rounds and sat down for some serious reloading.

The first load I tried used 44 grains of IMR-4064 with CCI 250 primers, and was a total flop. My groups opened up to about 1.25 MOA. So I went back and upped the powder charge to 45.5 and tried again. I printed 3, 5 shot groups with that load and low and behold, my groups measured 0.65", 0.60", and 0.50" respectively. Success!
grin.gif

Re: First reloads through my .308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalhead0483</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I printed 3, 5 shot groups with that load and low and behold, my groups measured 0.65", 0.60", and 0.50" respectively. Success!
grin.gif
</div></div>

Hovering around .5-.6" from a 5-shot... I would say you found the groove!! Congrats!!

DK

I read a couple posts (here and elsewhere) where people had good luck with 44 grains, and also with the 45.5 grain load. So I tried the 44 first, and when that didn't work went on to the 45.5, which obviously did work. It's not quite a max load, but it's close (max load according to Hodgdon is 45.9 grains)

As to how many times I can reload the brass, I'll tell you once I've had to do it more than once. I've got a case worth of once fired match brass to go through first
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalhead0483</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The first load I tried used 44 grains of IMR-4064 with CCI 250 primers, and was a total flop. My groups opened up to about 1.25 MOA. So I went back and upped the powder charge to 45.5 and tried again. I printed 3, 5 shot groups with that load and low and behold, my groups measured 0.65", 0.60", and 0.50" respectively. Success!
grin.gif
</div></div>

I really HOPE that you did not just jump from 44 to 45.5 with no steps in between (to watch for pressure signs). VERY DANGEROUS.

45.5 isn't a maximum load. Why would I be overly worried about pressure signs? Not being a wise-ass, I just don't understand...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308sako</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been loading the .308 since 1965, a few years all and all.

The point is that pressure that is dangerous can occur suddenly.

Try to use as a rule 1% of the charge weight as the increments you move up in. That would be 4/10's on a 40 grain initial charge call it a half grain on the 44 grain load. In the long run you will still
be able to count to ten using all your fingers. </div></div>

I completely agree. Max charge varies from on barrel to another. I usually go in .3 inccrements while using the OCW method. Especially when you KNOW your getting close to max, go in small increments.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make sure you try some Varget in that rifle too. It tends to be even better than IMR4064 under 168s and 175s in the .308Win. </div></div>

Damn skippy it is. 175SMK/Fed 210M primer/44.5 gr. Varget & Lapua brass works in almost every .308 I've tried it in.

^^ +1. I've settled on 45.0g Varget with the 175g SMK and 46.7g with the 155g Scenar. Very good velocity, low extreme spread, very accurate, no pressure signs, clean burning.