• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

first rem 700 many choices plz help me, long read

murtaughf3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2012
Abilene Tx
I had never considered the Rem 700 until last night, not sure whey just didn't. I know they have many choice and I have it narrowed down a bit and could use some input. I know the tactical version is popular but not the direction I want to go. Below is a run list of what I think the most needed info to help make suggestions. Also forgot to mention this is a budget build, the lower the better.

Use- big game hunting up to elk/bear, don't have access to long range shooting but want to try(closest place about 2.5 hours), and this one I'm sure to get mixed input and don't think I'm crazy but I would like to create something similar to the USMC M40 series rifles(not looking to clone, or be exact, just that direction)

choices, I'm thinking either 7Mag or 30.06 (I know doesn't really fit the m40)

ADL $397(has cheap scope)at walmart(7mag in stock and very smooth bolt)
SPS $600 at bx on base no sales tax, have to order
SPS w/stainless $680 at bx, above notes

list of upgrades
stock- bell and carlson(medalist hunter or medalist varmint/tatical)

scope-start with vortex diamondback 4-12x40 AO(have one on.243 and really like it) upgrade to viper pst or equal leupold after rest of rifle complete.

base/rings- not sure

trigger- not sure

barrel- schneider once the factory is shot out

This build will probably take some time if I go with one of the SPS models, I'm thinking if I go with the ADl I can almost upgrade the stock right away and steal the scope off my .243 along with rings, then I just need the base and I can start shooting and upgrade down the road. If I go the sps route I'll just take the scope from the .243 and the stock will stay factory for awhile.

So please let me know what you think.

Also as a side note, the pawn shop has winchester model 70 xtr for $420 I know it's used, not sure how used though. And I know it's been on the shelf awhile the tag was dated early 2009 don't know exact month, would this be a better option than than the 700?

Re: first rem 700 many choices plz help me, long read

Go with the ADL. I am currently helping my brother build a rifle very similar to what you are describing for big game hunting.

He is going to use the medalist stock with a PTG bottom metal to convert to BDL configuration.

As far as caliber goes, the 7mm is more than enough bullet to hunt anything in North America. I use the 30-06 as a hunting rifle for deer and elk, and I have been plenty pleased with the performance.

As you mentioned this will be a budget build, I think I would recommend the 30-06 because it will be significantly cheaper to shoot when compared to the magnums.

Any way you choose, good luck to you, and enjoy building the new gun.

Thanks for the info and advice. After doing a little more looking and some more research on the 30.06 (I've done alot, almost bought one before), I think I will go that route.

While don't have any intentions of competing anytime in the near future, I'd like to give it a go just to try, but mainly to push myself to be a better shooter. And after looking at one of the NRA rule books, magnum caliber isn't allowed so all the more reason to go 30.06. I know the .308 is popular but this will be a hunting rifle first and I feel the 30.06 would be just a little better in that area.

The .308 I think would be just about as good as the .30-06, maybe you couldn't take quite as long of a shot, but it would be perfectly adequate. Just my opinion, I like the .308 more. If you don't reload, .308 may be a little bit less expensive and easier to find in the exact round you want, just a little bit though, not a huge deal.

The ADL would be a fine choice, especially if you're going to put a new barrel on the gun after a little while. I think you will definitely want to change the stock and trigger almost right away though. I would say a timney for the trigger and the B&C stock would be great. Some guys may say jewell for the trigger, but they require a little bit more maintenance and I wouldn't say they're hand over fist better.

chase- thanks maybe i'll take a little closer look at the .308.

I don't currently reload, but after this next rifle purchase I will be saving for reloading equipment. In the mean time I have a friend who said he would teach me I just need my own supplies and dies because he currently doesn't shoot what I shoot with the exception of the .223/5.56

You can re chamber a 7mm RUM to 7mm STW, have to hand load but it does shoot flat and hard. Look into a Sendero if you can find one.

Buddy of mine has a re chambered sendero that is shooting 4" groups @ 1000 yd with 12' of drop.

Nothing wrong with the SPS, but my SPS in .308 gets .450 and my Sendero in 300wm gets .250