• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft First review: Flashlights-5.11 vs streamlight

huntinstud101

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2010
I don't know about you guys, but I've found a good flashlight is hard to come by and is a priceless piece of equipment to have on hand when you need it. I was fortunate enough to buy one and get another for an early birthday present, so I would like to give a head to head comparison of these two lights. Both are single LED powered by 2 AA batteries. Duracells if it makes a difference to anyone.

First Impressions: The TMT out of the packaging is a pretty nice light. It feels solid and has a very positive on and off tail switch. It is grooved to increase friction and it has an anti roll rubber ring on the rear of the light. It also has a permanent belt clip as part of the housing.

The ProTac is a much lighter flashlight with a much thinner profile. It has a smooth housing with a little softer but still positive on/off tall switch. It feels a little better in the hand than the TMT despite the thinner profile. The ProTac does have a removable belt clip and no noticeable anti roll molding.

At 6" the 5.11 TMT A2 stands a hair longer than the 5.9" Streamlight ProTac 2AA. This is only because of the protruding tail cap that proved to be one of the few downfalls of the light. If you plan to carry it in a bag, the cap is easily hit in transport and you will reach for it to find it dead. The TMT had a brighter up close focus but at 50 feet, there was no noticeable difference. The ProTac had a little longer battery life than the TMT and I was pleased to see that they were both within 5 minutes of their "high" setting rating (1.75 vs 1.5 respectively). I preferred the protac because it is often in and out of my pocket at work (axle quality) and the ribbing from the TMT kept getting caught. They are both very slippery to the naked hand, and once a layer of electrical tape was added, they handled very well. I like how durable the TMT feels, but ultimately I don't see it as an EDC light. I think it will find a home in the truck's frequent used tool bag, and the winner for me is the Streamlight Protac 2AA.

5.11 Tactical TMT A2 Tactical Flashlight at Galls

Streamlight® Pro Tac® 2AA Flashlight : Cabela's

This is my first review so constructive criticism is more than welcome. If this goes well, I will try to get one up a week and possibly take requests for things to review.

I haven't used 5.11 lights, but I have a surefire G2 that is a great little light. I do recommend switching the tail cap out though, the stock twist style can be a PITA sometimes. My go to brand is Fenix. they have awesome lights and really good prices.