• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns First Revolver Advice?

Spicerack

Misanthropic Ginger
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2013
Green Bay, WI
Good evening Hiders,

I am looking for my first revolver and am looking for some advice. I am not a stranger to handguns and own a Kimber Super Carry Pro .45ACP and a S&W Model 410 in .40S&W. Previously owned a .44RM Desert Eagle (sold a few years ago to pay a mortgage note.. long story). I have shot many other caliber handguns and revolvers with some guys with whom I shoot almost every Monday night but no revolvers that really made me think I HAVE to own one. There are a few vague quasi-requirements that I have for my revolver. I would like it to be a .357 so I can also shoot .38, big enough to be comfortable shooting a box or two through it in one session, but maybe small enough to carry concealed. I currently carry the Kimber and have carried the .40 which I think are about as big as I want to go for a carry weapon. So I am thinking of the Ruger SP101 or similar, unless someone talks me out of it, or into something different. I know that isn't much to go on, but maybe it will start a nice discussion for this type of sidearm. I am really open here and not locked into anything so what do you have for suggestions?

Semper Fidelis,
Aaron

Long time revolver guy, but I am used to carrying heavy framed snub noses, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Good modern 357 - 3" barrel S&W 686+ (7 shot)

Light and handy - S&W model 13 (the only FBI 357 magnum K frames) (6 shot)

Thin but heavy enough to be a shooter - Ruger SP101 (5 shot), if you want to shoot for fun with it, I would opt for the 3" barrel model

Have you looked into the S&W R8?
Might suit your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate, or at least have always hated, shooting revolvers, but I need a big bore one for a 10 day camping trip in bear country. Any suggestions as to the easiest to transition to for a semi auto handgun shooter?

The Ruger SP-101s are nice, once someone works them over and smooths them out. I can't recommend them in .357 Magnum. The 3" barrel recommendation in .38 Special is where I'd be, which I think was a first-year-only model.
S&W K-frames are fine. I have a chopped-down Model 65 Robar'ed stainless with a round butt and a 3" barrel that would fit that bill handily.
Never had much use for the 3" L and N-frames. I did have a 2¾ Ruger Six (Speed?) that I carried in a Berns-Martin-type shoulder holster back in the day. That was bad-ass.

Choid: Look for a Ruger Redhawk, if you can live with buying Ruger, or drop some serious coin on a S&W 610 or some variant of the S&W 29.

I hate, or at least have always hated, shooting revolvers, but I need a big bore one for a 10 day camping trip in bear country. Any suggestions as to the easiest to transition to for a semi auto handgun shooter?

Glock 20 10mm with hardcast lead loads or a shortish barreled 12ga with slugs, imo. Better yet, 22lr derringer to shoot one of your fellow campers in the knee so you can get away from the bear and he'll be preoccupied with said camper...ha

I'd get bear spray too.

Good evening Hiders,

I am looking for my first revolver and am looking for some advice. I am not a stranger to handguns and own a Kimber Super Carry Pro .45ACP and a S&W Model 410 in .40S&W. Previously owned a .44RM Desert Eagle (sold a few years ago to pay a mortgage note.. long story). I have shot many other caliber handguns and revolvers with some guys with whom I shoot almost every Monday night but no revolvers that really made me think I HAVE to own one. There are a few vague quasi-requirements that I have for my revolver. I would like it to be a .357 so I can also shoot .38, big enough to be comfortable shooting a box or two through it in one session, but maybe small enough to carry concealed. I currently carry the Kimber and have carried the .40 which I think are about as big as I want to go for a carry weapon. So I am thinking of the Ruger SP101 or similar, unless someone talks me out of it, or into something different. I know that isn't much to go on, but maybe it will start a nice discussion for this type of sidearm. I am really open here and not locked into anything so what do you have for suggestions?

Semper Fidelis,
Aaron

7 shot S&W 686 with a 642 as backup on the weak side. If you hand load look at the 105 gr Lehigh for 38's and the 148's in the 357, either loaded to +p+ will punch barriers an leave a wound canal that far exceeds most all other ammo.

Thanks for all the replies... lots of fodder to look over. That R8 looks like a might sweet shooter but a bit long in the barrel for carry (maybe?). The other one that piqued my interest was the Model 610 that Veer suggested for Choid because of the size and the fact that I wouldn't need to add another caliber to the arsenal. I think the 686 might be on the large side for my wants, but I'd have to fondle one for a while to be sure. The choosing process and saving up may take a few months but I will try to keep this thread updated for anyone else that may go through the same conundrum.

I'll mention the Ruger GP-100. Mines a 4" and I got the trigger worked over. It's a shooter. It's a medium frame so it's on the larger side, but you can shoot it all day with full house loads.

Occasionally I'll carry it concealed in a Bianchi pancake holster when it's jacket/coat weather. It'll print under a T shirt. Some body types can hide it better than others.

Reactions: vwhugger
The 610s are built on the N-frame, so they are larger than the 686. They are also out of production and when nice examples pop up they tend to go in the 1200-1500 range. But they are nice. =)

*edit* N-frames are not horrible to carry, but you need a good holster and be used to carrying wheelguns. The besides the physical size or weight of a revolver, they carry differently in that all of the weight seems to concentrate on the fat cylinder pressing into your side. Not horrible, just different.

I agree on taking a look at the GP100. I think mine is 3"+. It's the only 357 I have that I'll carry concealed due to it's smaller size.

As others have suggested, II would look at the GP100 with 4 or 6" barrel. Older 686s are nice but harder to find. G20/G40 is not a bad choice if you are used to glocks and dont mind the large frame grip

Here's a few I carry, either on the hip OTW or front pocket. Not mandatory, however those with lasers can be handy at times. The Ruger LCR 9mm has surprisingly good terminal ballistics out of a very short barrel and easier to shoot than the larger calibers. The chrome is a S&W 640-1 ported .357 mag; the S&W MP is a scandium framed .357 /.38 both with Crimson lasers. Lots of holster choices; Safariland #25 front holster designed specifically for the Ruger LCR shown; some Safariland Level 2 for the J-frames shown. It takes thousands of rounds to present a snub nose from concealment to consistently get on target at 7-12 yards; I don't carry any J-frame size unless I have at least 1,000 rounds of experience from the holster on the range with a specific gun; double action triggers still run 8-9 pounds; the LCR has a double cam sear to smooth out the force of the trigger pull just before it breaks. I use the XS Big Dot sights on some shown.

Many good indoor shooting ranges have a selection of revolvers to "rent" and get a feel for them; probably the best manner to select one you like before purchasing; "feeling them" at the counter and shooting them on the range are usually two quite different impressions. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1227.photobucket.com\/albums\/ee424\/veryeasy4me\/IMG_1936_zpsm1u56kwv.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1227.photobucket.com\/albums\/ee424\/veryeasy4me\/IMG_1942_zpsyw4svazu.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Elite Survival holster on top; Safariland #25 on the bottom. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1227.photobucket.com\/albums\/ee424\/veryeasy4me\/IMG_2870_zpstblh3csn.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Secured / non-secured holster choices. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1227.photobucket.com\/albums\/ee424\/veryeasy4me\/IMG_2876_zpsis8tb6sm.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1227.photobucket.com\/albums\/ee424\/veryeasy4me\/IMG_2880_zps6zga9dk4.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:

There's 3 in my stable I consider; I usually take the .44 in a nice holster on the hip; for cross-decking from a semi-auto I'd take the 10 mm all day long. Love the Desert Eagle, just too big even with the correct cross-chest holster.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1227.photobucket.com\/albums\/ee424\/veryeasy4me\/Screen%20Shot%202017-02-17%20at%209.27.29%20PM_zpsshcdbklt.png"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1227.photobucket.com\/albums\/ee424\/veryeasy4me\/Screen%20Shot%202017-02-17%20at%209.27.57%20PM_zpsls23qy2k.png"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
Check out the new Smith & Wesson Model 66 (it is stainless), I am still waiting for the blued version to come back out (Model 19). The ergonomics are hard to beat and it has a classic look.

Reactions: abizdafuzz
With MSG duty the State Dept issued us S&W Model 19s (.357 chambering) and we carried Nyclad .38 Special.

Revolvers are bulkier but great shooters and reliable. I see shelves of older bed stand Smith and Wesson revolvers in absolutely fantastic shape. No safety lock mechanism, beautiful bluing and comfortable shooting steel construction. Sights on a S&W are fantastic.

For comfortable shooting I like steel frames. The carry weight penalty is worth the shootability.

I load up 148 hollow base wad cutters for a S&W 52-2 and use them for practice in my revolvers. Cheap and accurate. Shoot all day long.

Good on you going wheel gun. It will make you a better shooter.

K frames tend to be more svelte than N frames. If you go N choose an appropriate barrel to cut back on size.

Love my classic S&Ws fun to shoot

A K-22 for practice/fun

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/SW002.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Smith 27-2, Pinned Barrel, recessed chambers, fully checkered top. Similar to Pattons registered magnum "Killing Gun". A big piece of steel, not really a concealed carry gun for my body type.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/SW007.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Thought I had pics of the 5 shot .38 Chiefs special and the .38 Colt Police Positive but I guess not.

Last edited:
I went to the LGS and got to put my meathooks around a few of the suggestions. Both Rugers, SP101 and GP100, were bigger than I thought. For me, the SP101 seemed barely small enough to carry, right on the verge of being to big or bulky which would be perfect. But the GP100 sure was nice with the adjustable sights and not being obnoxiously huge. The rosewood inlaid rubber gripped model was particularly handsome to my eye. The S&W performance center models did have better fit and finish like was mentioned and the triggers were nicer than the Rugers. They seemed a bit bulky for carry with the eight round cylinders. The 627 wasn't too bad but the one they had in the shop had a longish (6"?) barrel. I suppose now it is up to me to decide if I really want to carry one around. I am leaning toward the GP100 right now, for price point and entry into the wheel gun arena. That 27-2 sure looks like it would fit in my safe just fine! Good looking piece right there. Maybe I will get lucky and find one at a gun show or something.

Thanks to all for the solid advice and suggestions... Will follow up in a few weeks when I go to make the purchase.

The 27-2 is a beast of a gun. Fun as hell to shoot and accurate. Its capacity is low but if hits are what counts Id rely on it.

For most carry I switch between two Colt Commanders - one light weight from 1968 the other a 70s steel Commander.

In the summer I can carry a S&W model 36 in a pocket holster in the front pocket of my cargo shorts or on an outside the waist band belt holster. 5 rounds of .38 special that I can easily forget is even there.

The 36 is not a target gun but I don't feel exposed with it in easy reach.

Its all about last ditch anyway. I consider myself a runner and a living witness.

Last edited:
The 27-2 is a beast of a gun. Fun as hell to shoot and accurate. Its capacity is low but if hits are what counts Id rely on it.

For most carry I switch between two Colt Commanders - one light weight from 1968 the other a 70s steel Commander.

In the summer I can carry a S&W model 36 in a pocket holster in the front pocket of my cargo shorts or on an outside the waist band belt holster. 5 rounds of .38 special that I can easily forget is even there.

The 36 is not a target gun but I don't feel exposed with it in easy reach.

Its all about last ditch anyway. I consider myself a runner and a living witness.

OK OK, I am convinced I need to get two revolvers (at least). One to carry and one to shoot. ('up to no good' smily face thing here)
That makes it much easier: a 686 and a 637 maybe.

I live in a conflicted area - anti gun yet all the manufacturers were or are here.

I am spoiled because I have my pick of two digit Smiths, lightly if at all used and likely to be hand fitted by some hunched over Italian Artisan.

Don't overlook the used gems that unthinking family members let go after granpa passed.

My kids will suffer the fate of never getting a Glock handed down when I give up the ghost. Im just too untacticool.

Last edited:
OK OK, I am convinced I need to get two revolvers (at least). One to carry and one to shoot. ('up to no good' smily face thing here)
That makes it much easier: a 686 and a 637 maybe.[/QUOTE]

When you included the "at least" qualifier your statement became completely accurate. The most versatile revolvers in .357 are the bigger mid-frames like Smith L frame, Colt Python and Colt Trooper. They are concealable in 4" or less guns but not ideal. As a belt holster gun they are stout enough enough to take lot's of .357 and are absolute pussycats with .38 loads.

The K frame guns come the closest to your original description. They are a little on the light side for continuous use with .357 loads either in terms of longevity or comfort. They are perfect with .38 loads. In a four inch barrel either a 19 or 66 would be great. My favorites are the 2 1/2" guns and they are easily carried concealed.

Give some thought to pmclaines' recommendation, the man has superb taste, about some of the earlier guns. Blued steel guns are a bit harder to care for but if you give them the same care you should with a stainless they will serve you forever. Take a 19 or 586. put Spegel grips on it http://www.craigspegel.com/. , buy a Tom Threepersons holster with some carving from somebody like El Paso Saddlery and what was a duty weapon becomes a "barbecue gun". If your friends don't envy you, well................

I just picked up a GP100. I "needed" it to fill a caliber void. I love everything about it however It is not something that I am planning on carrying. It is a range toy and a fun one at that. It is the brushed stainless with rubber grips and fits my hand nicely. I compared it to the 686 and preferred the looks and feel and the trigger of the GP100. Good luck with whatever you decide as others here have provided excellent options as well.

Looks like I will be waiting a little while longer on any of these revolvers. I was given a chance to buy my father-in-law's uncut Webley Mark VI for a very fair price and want to keep that in the family so the cash will go to him for that piece of history. I think that is an awesome first revolver and look forward to adding it to the collection.

Good evening Hiders,

I would like it to be a .357 so I can also shoot .38, big enough to be comfortable shooting a box or two through it in one session, but maybe small enough to carry concealed.

The 686 which you're thinking about is an L frame, larger than the K frame 19/66. If you want the other end of the Smith spectrum, I was going to suggest the J frame 60 3", 5 shot .357. It still has adj. sights but will fit in the front pocket of a pair of work pants. It's going to be a little more snappy with .357 weighing 23 - 24 oz.

Smith and Wesson

I looked at about everything out there when looking for a birthday gift for my mother a few years back and S&W was the best thing going that I could find. Got her a 4" barrel 7 shot 686. I don't know how it'd be for concealed carry, but it's a great shooting pistol.

The Taurus and Ruger offerings weren't as nice. Catches in the trigger pull & cocking, wiggles in the cylinder. Stuff that was either non-existent or significantly better in the S&W's I looked at.

Hey all,

Following up again... Ended up getting the Webley, as previously stated, and it is a very neat piece and am going through the process of finding components and data to reload for it. But that is for a different thread.

Then I ended up coming across a very gently used 4 inch barreled GP100 for $500. It came in the original box with the manual and four speed loaders. It is blued with the giant ugly rubber grip, adjustable rear sight, and fiber optic green front blade. It shoots well, better than I can do so far. We put a box of .38 through it and half a box of .357 and it definitely will make me a better shooter like pmclaine mentioned. It is not forgiving of any error in form and the best i could do at 12 yards was 4 shots in a ragged hole with two fliers about an inch and a half out, which I called as soon as the trigger broke. I think it shot a bit more accurately with the 357's than the 38's but that could be the shooter. It may be a bit large to carry on a regular basis but it can surely be comfortable to shoot out on the range all day without beating a guy up too badly. I am looking forward to shooting it again and learning about all my bad shooting habits and fixing them!

Thanks again for all the input, this forum is full of great people.

Semper Fidelis,
Aaron

I enjoy revolvers. My first handgun was a Taurus 65 that is still in the safe. I also have an affection for .41Magnum and have a 657 Mountain gun. But, by far, my favorite revolver is the 610. I can shoot plinker .40S&W loads up to full-house 10mm loads. It is accurate, soft shooting and a trigger that makes me smile. If you get a chance to pick up a 610 for a reasonable price, I would highly recommend you do so.

I carried a S&W 460 when I worked in the back country in AK for a few years, dropped a black bear in south AK with it and my buddy carried a 454 casull with a 4" barrel and I watched him drop a 600-700 pound Grizzer bear no problem that charged us up in the seward peninsula

I'm a big fan of SWs and Pythons and have quite a few.

I only have one Ruger. But it is what I'll join others in recommending. It's a 4" GP100 with a butter-smooth trigger and Wolf spring job. I only practice shooting it DA. Fantastic piece. It also sports night sights. If I could only grab one revolver with my arse on the line this would be it.

I'm partial to revolvers.
I have carried them in duty gear and as concealed.
A good holster makes all of the difference in the world. I have been known to carry a 4" Model 57 in a Kramer scabbard concealed.
I'm a big fan of the .357 mag and own several, I really like the 686+. When I was doing security work, I carried a taurus Model 66, also a 7 shot .357.
I've got a model 19, a couple of 686+, the 7 shot Taurus and an 8 shot Taurus.
The Smith model 625 is one of my favorites, as is the 657.
The Taurus revolvers are very well made, not as smooth as the Smith's and can't be tuned as well, but the price difference is substantial.
When you start talking concealed carry, many things come into play. The .357 magnum is a handful in a full size L frame, let alone a snubbie or K frame.
Smith has just released a 9mm revolver, I don't think they have a snubbie yet (Taurus has one as well)

I've owned, carried, and hunted with revolvers for 40+ years. My favorite has always been N frame Smith and Wessons. I prefer 6" (6.5") barrels. My favorite holster is a shoulder holster. Easier to conceal and easier to handle. One nice thing about revolvers that's not readily apparent - you can make up some really nice light handloads for target practice. Hard to do with a semi-auto. I've got a load for my Model 29 that shoots like a 38 special.
The other thing I like about (good) revolvers is their fantastic single action trigger. Makes most stock semi-auto triggers feel like a cheap toy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Glad you picked out a revolver. For future purchases for ccw, I don't see how a discussion could be had without introducing the smith 640 or 649. A shrouded or enclosed hammer is the way to go. For a larger frame the the 696 44 special five shoot is cool.

Smith has also made 9mm, 40, 45acp, 10mm and 38 supers to compliment your semiautos if you don't mind carrying moon clips or speed loaders. The Ruger sp101 can also be found in 9mm.

i am of the school that believes for dependability, simplicity, accuracy, and a certain degree of "romance" metal revolvers are second to none.

i "winter carry" a SW mdl 60 gen 1 j frame .38 spec (passed down from dad years ago), swapped out the hammer with a bobbed one, added a hogue bantam. completely in love with it, except for the weight when using in the summer with lighter clothes. it resides in a bladetech klipt, desantis cargo pocket holster, or a desantis pocket tuck (depending on what i'm wearing or going). it's .38 special (not +p rated). i run underwood ammo xtreme defenders. with this "low recoil / high terminal perfomance" ammo, recoil is really not bad at all, nor do i feel undergunned.

in fact i'd rather it than .357 from the short barrel for the FPS produced and gel tests viewed on ytube. being a handloader, i've made my "range rounds" to equal the xtreme defender, feels about the same in recoil, and has the same POI.

also using 380 xtreme defenders through a kahr cw380 that i "summer carry" i don't feel undergunned at all with the 380 in this ammo, and recoil is extrememly manageable.

i understand the subject included using the ccw for quasi range gun use. but would interject to get one for concealed carry, the other larger framed one for the range.

if i had or wanted to buy another revolver for CCW, it would be a Taurus M380 $375ish. 5 rnds of 380acp, and using the same xtreme defenders - i would still not feel undergunned.

It's really not too bad...I personally carry either a 454 or 460 with heavy cast bullets (300-355 gr) in the 1400 fps range. Heavy frames are your friend, porting is up to you but don't carry the crazy high pressure rounds...will be far too loud. If that is too much step down to the hot loaded 45 lc...heavier bullets a bit larger than the 44 than are about equal in power. The first time try 45lc then work up...only load one the first few times you fire a high power round so that any flinch won't negligently fire the next cylinder. I carry center chest, assuming that is allowed. This all assumes big ass brown bears not black bears...those just go 357 or 44.

Yeah, I would go 686 + in 3 in if you want to skew towards carry or 4 in for overall use but rare carry. The 585 l comp is tempting me right now too.

I have shot revolvers over the years for fun and competitions. When I shot revolver class in IPSC I would place one or two under from my Limited class shooting a 5-inch 45 cal. With this said my carry revolver is a 44 special 5 shot, light weight, short barrel and nice heavy bullet. I also will carry a 45 cal revolver or 9mm revolver from time to time. Just my two cents but my 44 special is my go to for a backup gun also.

I haven't shot revolvers in a while, but I used to shoot and carry them regularly. I still , frequently carry a S&W lightweight model 49 (model 36 with shrouded hammer). It is an excellent pocket gun.
That being said, I have carried an N frame .41 mag concealed, using an excellent Kramer holster, but I prefer the .357 magnum.
I have an excellent, performance center 686+ with 2.5" magna ported barrel, which makes it very tolerable to shoot, but the concussive effects are extraordinary.
I really like the Ruger GP-100, though it is a bit large for a 6 shooter, the SP-101 is a bit dainty for full house .357 magnums and uncomfortable to shoot.
They used to make one in 9mm, which is an excellent option.
The S&W K-frame is a wonderful carry piece, but they do not handle a regular diet of full house magnum loads well.
I have several taurus revolvers, one a 7 shot .357, model 66. It shoots very well and I carried it for a while. I would rate it as a best buy.