• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Rifle, Advice Needed.

SixtyLion

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2023
Queens, NY
Hello everyone,
My first post, I’ll try to keep it short. I want to try long range shooting and possibly compete at club/local level. I am planning to get MPA BA PMR Pro 2 rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor, however yesterday I found Surgeon Scalpel 591R chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, 24” barrel and Magpul Pro stock. So I was wondering which rifle would you guys recommend? Are there other options, something readily available or with short wait/turnaround time and priced under $3000. Looking forward to reading your responses! Thank you very much!!!

Define long range.
Factory ammo or reloads?

Don't forget any additional items you may need, brake, bipod, rear bag, magazines, optic, scope rings, cleaning rod, bore guide, etc.

The American Rifle Co Mausingfield is available in 1 week but it is over you budget.

Reactions: Johnerz
Define long range.
Factory ammo or reloads?

Don't forget any additional items you may need, brake, bipod, rear bag, magazines, optic, scope rings, cleaning rod, bore guide, etc.

The American Rifle Co Mausingfield is available in 1 week but it is over you budget.
Thank you for your response! So long range, 300-600 yards, and occasionally 1000 yards. Paper targets and plates. Factory ammo. I put aside another $3000 to cover scope, rings, bipod, and other accessories.

Reactions: AllenOne1
Why are you wanting to drop $6k on trying something? Why not pick up a complete used rig for $2k and see if its for you?

I'm all for high zoot gear and if that's your thing, then more power to you. And I know it doesnt directly address your original post, but I'd be dumbfounded if you couldn't find something in the PX that you could have in-hand, and on the range with it within a week.

Hell, for $6k you could buy a killer set up, fly to scenic TN and get one-on-one training at K&M Precision, with ammo, food, lodging, souvenir t-shirt, and still have plenty left over to place bets on a heated MIL vs MOA discussion.

Last edited:
Id put my hands on as many different rifles as I could at the range ask as many questions as I could as well make lists look online compare travel around to physically touch the guns run the action try the trigger then buy buy buy . shoot and enjoy get tired of it but another all while refining what I liked and what I did not like until I saved enough and learned enough to know what it was I wanted then buy it and repeat the process all over again oh and as you shoot further and further out your going to have to buy bigger and more expensive calibers yea the cycle of never ending gun buying .best of luck to you .

Thank you very much for your replies!!! I will definitely try different rifles before buying one. What do you guys think about Surgeon rifles, is it a good option?

Surgeon rifles are good, older is better, & depending on how & how many rounds of 6.5CM have gone through the barrel.
For 6K the sky is the limit. Buy a new setup from Chad at LRI, it will be good. Good Luck

Reactions: SixtyLion
I also agree to shop for a used rifle on here.

Being new, it's impossible to know what you like and dislike in a rifle. My main rifle went through many iterations (and thousands of $) before I landed on my setup that I'm 100% happy with.

I wish I had tried out more rifles before buying. I was so excited and enamored with the whole idea of LR shooting i bought what I though was cool before knowing what would really be best for my purposes.

Gamer rifles are so purpose-driven right now vs a modified hunting rifle vs a simple LR plinker, and the technology keeps inching incrementally forward that knowing what you want to do with the rifle will truly lead you down subtly different paths the longer you experiment.