• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing First Rifle Build - Success!

wtopace

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2009
Wylie, TX
Hey guys, thought I would check in with some pictures of my first completed rifle. It took a few months working on it nights and weekends (and even then only when I could squeeze some time in). Thanks for all of the valuable information you guys provide! If you would like to see more (excruciating detail), feel free to click my blog in my sig.

I had no formal education (in machining - I do have a BS in computer science engineering so I am very math oriented) and have never even seen a lathe before January 2011. The internet seems to be a wealth of knowledge (both correct and incorrect) on machining and I found learning a lot of machine work to be quite fascinating. Thanks again for all the help via PM, post or phone calls, you guys have been super helpful!

Started with an ADL in .243
DSC_0308_resized.jpg

Indicated the receiver in a home made jig, using home made bushings and a drill rod (I was able to dial the run-out down to 0.0002).
DSC_0317_resized.jpg

DSC_0006_resized.jpg

Picture of the finished receiver, nice and shiny.
DSC_0047_resized.jpg

Next up was the recoil lug work, I had to open it up to match the new barrel tenon - 1.075". Again, I used a home made jig to hold the recoil lug in place.
DSC_0010_resized.jpg

DSC_0013_resized.jpg

I figured I would use a little practice on reaming the chamber before the real one, so I made a go-gauge out of some of the muzzle-end leftover.
DSC_0030_resized.jpg

DSC_0039_resized.jpg

And finally, the actual chamber.
DSC_0179_resized.jpg

DSC_0168_resized.jpg

Re: First Rifle Build - Success!

Completed Rifle. I still plan to Cerakote the rifle and turn a custom bolt knob in the (near) future.

DSC_0402.jpg

I got to the range today and the rifle shot amazingly. I didn't bother to trickle-charge the cases and just tossed the powder with a Redding BR3 measure. The cases were necked down Lapua .308s and I was running 34gr Varget.
260FirstTargets.jpeg

Looks like it is a shooter for sure. Congrats on the build.

Good job, man.

It takes a lot of time and money to get the first one up and running. For me, it took more determination than anything else I had ever done up until that point.

Welcome to the addiction.

Very nice to hear your success. Getting ready to do my first n gives me confidence to do mine

Very cool.

I'm impressed you went from never seeing a lathe before to using one well so quickly. Nicely done!

Nice! I have been looking for a lathe myself. I have been watching videos, reading and checking out this section a lot to learn. Someday I'll give it a try also. Good job I would be very proud!