• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First round "flyer" on CZ 455 Tacticool

Slateman

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2013
Okay, so noticing this issue with my CZ455. The first round fired always seems to be one furthest from the point of aim. Just shot 20 five round groups and in 18 of them, the first round is the furthest. Usually to the left, sometimes left and up.

For all the groups I adjusted the action screws. I found that the least amount of distance between the flyer round and the rest of the group when the screws were set to 24 lb/in. But still, with that setting, it was repeatable.

I did NOT see the same pattern with my AR.

I used some good .22 ammo (RWS R50 and Midas +), and I found it interesting that it was so consistently the first shot.

What can I do to fix this?

Your barrel suffers from cold bore fliers. This is mostly common in hammer forged barrels in my experience. Never had a match barrel suffer from this issue. You can try cleaning the snot out of the leade that some swear it works but in my experience it isn't worth the time or effort. If it bothers you I would just get a new barrel.

Is it only happening on a clean barrel? Even with my precision match gun, I needed a couple of fouling shots before it settled in.

Is it only happening on a clean barrel? Even with my precision match gun, I needed a couple of fouling shots before it settled in.

Define a dirty barrel.

I started today with a clean barrel. I would assume that after 50 or so shots, it's no longer "clean"

I was getting these flyers throughout my groups, up until the last one..

Define a dirty barrel.

I started today with a clean barrel. I would assume that after 50 or so shots, it's no longer "clean"

I was getting these flyers throughout my groups, up until the last one..

Usually 3-4 rounds is enough to foul a clean barrel and settle it down. Doesn't seem to be the problem then.

If it were my CZ455 Tactical I would blame it on suppressor gassing because I never take it off.
I don't know what Im talking about but, in this case, I will go ahead any way. Are you using the original 5-round mag?
Try the same test but load four in the mag and the fifth round straight into the chamber. I'm thinking maybe the magazine pressure on the bolt could be the issue.
I'm sure some expert will laugh this off but they really should explain why it couldn't happen.

My 452 Varmint has always done this, high and left. I just picked up a cheap 455 Precision Trainer that has only had one range trip. I tried CCI SV and Automatch as a cheap ammo to burn through hoping that it would like one of those since they're cheap and I have quite a bit of each, but it didn't shoot them well at all. I moved over to Wolf as a next step up and it calmed right down. I didn't notice the 1st shot flyer once I found ammo it likes.

I've fired at least 500 rounds through it. I've gotten some really tight groups with RWS R50., particlarly if I ignore my first flyer.

I'll try that magazine thing.

I had the same problem with my CZ 455 Varmint. I had the barrel lapped by a smith, which helped the problem a great deal. Using RWS Rifle Match I went from a 3/4 inch flier high and left on the cold bore (clean or dirty) shot to one that was between 1/3 inch and 1/4 inch high at 50 m, and repeatable. Then I got a Lilja barrel and the problem resolved itself.

I've heard of some guys getting new guns with the barrel threaded in slightly crooked into the reciever. Take a look down the barrel with the scope off. I personally clean 22s as little as possible, mine shoot best after abut 50-100 rounds after a cleaning, then they stay that way until about 7-800 rounds.

Ive got a markii savage that throws the first shot on every new string of fire when shooting groups. High and left. Im going to try that nylon brush and jb paste trick from the link you posted. Thanks for that.

Any chance it's you getting settled on the gun that first shot? If you're breaking position only to reload a mag, that might be it. If you want to test, shoot some groups where you stand up between shots.

The 22rf rifles I shot most often are my 40X/XB repeaters, one with a Benchmark 3-groove, the other with a Lilja tite bore, both fitted & chambered by me with a PTG EPS reamer. I shoot them about 99.9% of the time with a SWR Spectre II can, and usually put a couple of patches wet with Ed's Red through the bores after 150rds or so. Very seldom use a bronze brush after the first couple hundred rounds through a freshly chambered bbl., only when I feel unusual resistance to the first wet patch through a bore, or find little slivers of lead on that first patch. Same goes for a couple of Krieger bbls I've had on a Stiller 2500XR & the 40XB before I put the Lilja back on it. Most of the shooting I'm doing is with SK Rifle Match.

Last week I was doing some shooting on some targets I downloaded from tacticalprecisionrimfire.com, including one with a separate coldbore bull. That Lilja titebore bbl put the 1st round dead center in the CB bull, which pleased me no end, while the Benchmark put it dead on for elevation, but 1-1/4" out to the left. I have no idea yet how much effect a cold suppressor has on this 1st round coldbore thing, but intend to keep track of the 1st round fired out of each of these barrels from now on so I'll know how to compensate when I get to a match. I'm hoping the can has little to do with that first round; just need to record results out of both rifles so I'll know what to expect. I do have a Hawkeye borescope, so will keep checking the chamber/leade area for carbon build-up.

If cold lead is causing the problem, then it's most likely a velocity variance. That could easily be confirmed with a chronograph. The first round may not necessarily be slower. It may be faster as the lead ring acts as a wadding and increases pressure slightly.