• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors first round pop

Ruslow

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
AR
what cause the first round pop on cans? i know it is vague question. But shooting my 300blk and I get a pop on the first round then quiet after,till mag change.i have trieds reducing the load[220 berry bullets running rite at 1k] i think can is the cause but am hoping for other ideas too. Stan

I’ve seen a bunch of different explanations, some agree and others diverge, but if it truly is from unburned powder igniting upon contact with oxygen, you should theoretically be able to reduce FRP by going to a faster powder.

Or so my untested theory goes.

Using a teaspoon of water or wire pulling gel in the blast chamber can help a lot. FRP is mostly an issue with subsonic ammo in pistol and rimfire cans. 300 blackout subsonic is essentially a pistol round.

Reactions: camocorvette
The level of FRP is heavily influenced by baffle/stack design also

Yep. A big ol' blast chamber full of fresh air combined with a free-flowing stack is likely to cause noticeable FRP with a subsonic round.

My wife is apparently much more sensitive than I to this phenomenon, because she's constantly pointing it out when I'm shooting off the porch.

So far the fastest burn powder i have used is 4227 and still has it. may turn and decrease the load. But still need it to cycle the bolt. I can live with the pop IF I have to but really would like to eliminate it. Saw lilgun is faster may look for some and try it.

Suppressor design can influence frp heavily. If you build a can for strickly subs having the first baffle like 1/4" from the muzzle mitigates it very well. Unfortunately that makes for a shitty supersonic can and leads to quick erosion.

So far the fastest burn powder i have used is 4227 and still has it. may turn and decrease the load. But still need it to cycle the bolt. I can live with the pop IF I have to but really would like to eliminate it. Saw lilgun is faster may look for some and try it.
I would be very surprised if a faster burning powder reduced FRP. Even if you reach 100% burn there are still by products from the powder than can ignite. The only way to control FRP is to have a suppressor that is designed to not have it. Pistol and subsonic cartridges may be more prone to FRP, the difference in FRP to a shot without FRP is definitely more noticiable with smaller cartridges. We tend to obsess over FRP, for many of our customers the first shot is the only shot taken so it should be as quite as the second :)

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
Anyone light a match or lighter, then place in the can vertically so to “burn up the O2”?

I’ve thought about it but never tested it.

Discreet Ballistics has a different approach to the same effect:

Your first thought goes to sphincter 🤔
Because it’s the only thing that makes sense for the joke dummy “Because it didn’t close it’s mouth” or pinch it’s nostril shut” sounds stupid. Also it’s the body part most similar to a suppressor wipe.

Also I only think about the memory of yours. 😆

• Haha
Reactions: roostercogburn98
Because it’s the only thing that makes sense for the joke dummy “Because it didn’t close it’s mouth” or pinch it’s nostril shut” sounds stupid. Also it’s the body part most similar to a suppressor wipe.

Also I only think about the memory of yours. 😆
I guess both do require wipes at times. 🤔

Well did some testing over the weekend to see if poss to eliminate or atleast decrease the report. Ammo loaded from 780fps to 1000fps and all had it. Was alittle better with the slower speed but accuracy was terrible! 1000 was decent so will live with the pop and better accuracy with the 1000fps. Stan

Inert is the way to go - CO2 is fine for this purpose. N2O would be way more amusing :LOL:

Not sure how whipped cream would work as an ablative substance, but I now see a testing opportunity.

Reactions: 6/250/40