• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report first run of reloads - Marlin XS7 308

jayd4wg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2009
Steel City
Ran my load tests today, 3 rds each weight using varget starting at 44.0 and ending at 47 - half grain increments.

I was just happy to get out today, the range was fairly quiet, it was still snow covered and sloppy, but the wind was calm and the air crisp.

according to www.wunderground.com:

39 degrees F
Winds Calm
31.17 in Hg
1275 elev.

Reload info:
Winchester brass
Varget powder
CCI lg. rifle primers
Hornady 3031 SP 150gr
2.770 OAL

after 2 shots (CB+1) with the federal factory loads I usually use, I printed a shot 1.5" high, just right of center, about an inch across. First shot landed just to the left of center, second was right about .75 inches, and slightly lower. Moved scope down 1.5" and started firing my reloads.

All but the 47gr loads showed no signs of pressure, and the difference in felt recoil from 44 to 47 was amazing...I had NO clue that just a few extra little pieces of extruded powder could affect the velocity so much. Though I didn't measure velocity, the vertical POI delta between loads was 1.5" at 100 yards

44 gr, = 1.329" with a called flyer. Two rounds nearly touching, one high and left. I will shoot this load again just to see if they tighten up. This was a VERY low recoil load.
44.5 gr = .413" with group centered .856" low and right from POA
45 gr = .172" and the picture looks like only two bullets. I'm still puzzled as to where the third shot is. My targets were placed on a clean piece of cardboard and there are no other hits anywhere near my target...at first I thought the bullet misfired and did not leave the barrel. I checked for obstruction and have to conclude that it went thru one of the other holes.
45.5 gr = for some reason this load moved POI SouthEast about 2 inches and will need to be re-shot (heat maybe??? I let barrel cool 4-5 mins between 3 shot groups). i printed a group about 1.2" and I do not trust these results.
46 - 47 gr were unimpressive. groups were pushing the 2" mark and at 47 I started showing primer flattening.

here's the photos of the two smallest groups...again, take the 45 gr pic with a grain of salt. I have stared at this pic with a magnifying glass to see ANY sign of the third bullet OTHER than it going thru EXACTLY one of the other holes...and i'm at a loss. I'll upload a closeup for you guys to look at. one of the holes does indeed look darker than the other..and possible a little oblong? I've never robin-hooded a bullet before - this could be a first.

4418967650_cc06ae3a93.jpg

4418967400_de8e3afdd4.jpg

regardless, i'm thrilled with either load. Both are VERY light recoil, and hopefully they will be decent loads out to 3-400 yards. After that I guess I'll more than likely have to go with a BTSP or BTHP. I know these results are less than conclusive, and I look forward to doing it all over again with the other brass (plan on using CBC brass from Magtech ammo - I have a good bit of it) and will likely run from 44 up to 46 again in half grain increments...hopefully I'll duplcate these results with the new brass, and will then bracket the 45gr load by .2 gr increments just to see if the groups tighten up. after that i'll only post pics of 5 shot groups. I'm just a little too geeked about the money invested vs. the results initially observed. We'll soon find out what this little $300 rifle can do.

here's the closeup of the 45gr load group. You be the judge. Again, my targets were placed on a large clean piece of cardboard and there were no other impacts at all...so the third bullet either did not hit within 2 feet (highly unlikely IMO) or it's tucked into the bottom left hole...the lead mark looks a little darker to me. Either way, i'll be shooting this load again and will post some 5 shot groups.

4418300611_e56889302b.jpg

Re: first run of reloads - Marlin XS7 308

Noone wants to comment? I know...noone wants to say anything until we take the "lucky bastard" variable out of things...I'll post again in a couple weeks and hopefully this little $600 setup (gun, optics, RL gear) will be a consistent sub 1/2moa performer (at least for the first 5 rounds...after that the barrel heats up and throws things a little)...HOPEFULLY. no matter the outcome, groups like this will put me minute of deer any day of the week, and for that i'm happy.

Re: first run of reloads - Marlin XS7 308

Maybe a little late on the post but I am looking at getting one of these and am anxious to try the load.