• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First set of 6.5 PRC loads, looking for suggestions

Wile_Coyote

None
Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2018
    Florida
    www.none.com
    I’m going to do my first set of loads for my Bergara 6.5 PRC. Limited supplies as I have what runs well in my Creedmoor’s and Grendel’s.

I picked up a pound of H4831SC and a pound and of Magpro to try out.

On hand I have a lot of Hornady 147 ELD match, 1 box of Hornady 140 BTHP and a lot of 120 ELD Match.

Any suggestions for a combination to start with. Was thinking the 140 or 147. Haven’t decided powder yet so I’m asking for info/experiences.

Thanks

I’m going to do my first set of loads for my Bergara 6.5 PRC. Limited supplies as I have what runs well in my Creedmoor’s and Grendel’s.

I picked up a pound of H4831SC and a pound and of Magpro to try out.

On hand I have a lot of Hornady 147 ELD match, 1 box of Hornady 140 BTHP and a lot of 120 ELD Match.

Any suggestions for a combination to start with. Was thinking the 140 or 147. Haven’t decided powder yet so I’m asking for info/experiences.

Thanks
    If this is also you're first run on a new barrel, I'd use the Magpro with the Hornady 140's to fire form you cases and get your barrel to 150 rounds (about where the barrel velocity increases and stabilizes). I had had a hard time finding a good load with my Magpro powder and only used it because it took me while to get the powder I wanted (Retumbo and N565). Once you get your cases fire formed and barrel, work on perfecting a load for your 147's with H4831SC. Save the Magpro as a backup for when you can't find the powder you really want or at a price that's reasonable.

If this is also you're first run on a new barrel, I'd use the Magpro with the Hornady 140's to fire form you cases and get your barrel to 150 rounds (about where the barrel velocity increases and stabilizes). I had had a hard time finding a good load with my Magpro powder and only used it because it took me while to get the powder I wanted (Retumbo and N565). Once you get your cases fire formed and barrel, work on perfecting a load for your 147's with H4831SC. Save the Magpro as a backup for when you can't find the powder you really want or at a price that's reasonable.
    Good advice. Had about 60 rounds down the pipe. Went with the 140’s and Magpro. It did pretty well actually. Stepped up in 1 grain increments. There’s a couple spots to look at.

One thing that’s certain, the Bergara trigger is not bad but I prefer a 2 stage… so is going to get swapped

How did Retumbo work for you? I couldn’t get enough in the case to get any kind of velocity. Maybe my lot is slow. H1000 has been great. What about the N565?

How did Retumbo work for you? I couldn’t get enough in the case to get any kind of velocity. Maybe my lot is slow. H1000 has been great. What about the N565?
    Am not sure what kind of velocity you're after. I use Berger 140 & 153.5 Hybrids and 142 SMK's and usually load them long for hand feeding and am able to get velocities at or a little over 3000 fps (the 153.5's are more in the mid to low 2900 fps. The 142's I load to magazine length and still get velocities at around 3000 fps. Yesterday, using 58.6 gr Retumbo with a COAL 3.085 in Lapua brass I averaged 3037 fps. With N565, I load at those velocities as well, but have gotten a little better performance on paper.