• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First shot precision

Matteman

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2021
Sweden
I was at the range the other day, and met a few hunters that talked about the first shot often missing due to oil/solvent being left in barrel. And if shooting a few shots in quick succession they experienced the shots to start deviate due to rising barrel temperature.

I have heard this before, but never experienced it my self. I tested with two quick 5 shot groups at 300 meters with my Tikka, cold barrel(barrel cleaned a week before with CLP, didnt do any thing to get rid of the CLP afterwards), but i couldnt se any problems(other than over compensating for wind in the last series).

Is the cold bore shot accuracy a missconception, Or is the problem barrel/manufacturer specific?

shots.jpg

I'm not an expert. I don't compete either.
I have shot animals and steel with a cold bore though.
I believe you just have to make sure you have a good zero and learn your rifle.
My mini 14 was dead nuts for the first shot. After that not so much.
Thinner barrels may wonder when they heat up. Hunting shouldn't be an issue unless shooting prairie dogs?
Just my 2 cents.

Its not so much cold bore as clean bore. I clean my rifle before a match then shoot 10-20 rounds so its fouled. If i strip all copper i like to shoot more. I have noticed that the first shot of the day is either way slow or 2ay fast by like 20-30 fps out of multiple rifles.

Reactions: Marine52
If you don’t clean it, the first shot of the day should be just like the last shot of yesterday. Cold bore, in that regard, is a myth.

If you deep cleaned and or left solvent in the barrel, who knows what you get.

Thinner barrel profiles can wander as they get hot from long strings of fire. Not all do. It’s part of the reason that various competitive disciplines tend to favor heavy barrel contours.

Reactions: Marine52