• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Shot with AI Arctic Warfare

Known

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2007
Cascade Mountains
Folks,

My first 5 rounds EVER with my new AIAW. I was standing using my Hog Saddle shooting out my home office window. 30P-1 supressor. Distance 40 yards (because I was sighting in).

1st shot - 1.5 mils low from orange dot. Used reticle to correct elevation.
2nd shot - Adjusted 1.5 mils up and blew off the orange dot
3rd - 5th shot - picture tells all

I only needed to come down 1mil from the factory Night Force scope setting. Windage was perfect. I have a Spuhr mount.

175 SMK, 44.0 Varget, Lapua Brass, CCI BR2

I believe I have an accurate rifle.

Attachments

• Picture 704.jpg
    Picture 704.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
They are spot on for sure. Bout time for a new target backer ya think? Enjoy the AW...

I cleaned the barrel with some Sweet's 7.62 and didn't see any copper. Went to fire my next 5 shots at a plate I have set up at 135 yards. I'm not claiming this is a super group, but at 1" center to center that's sub-moa. If I can do this standing using my Hog Saddle while I'm still getting familiar with my rifle, I'm happy.

Now when I miss I'm out of excuses.

Attachments

• Picture 705.jpg
    Picture 705.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
So you were shooting your AI off of your Hog Saddle from your office window? Sounds like you lead a rather damaged life ;)

Forgive me, my jealousy precedes me...

You normally use Sweets as a maintenance barrel cleaner?

TTR

No - but the break in procedure calls for using a strong copper solvent and nothing removes copper like Sweet's. I normally use Butches Bore Shine or plain old Hoppes.

When I clean with Hoppes and swab the bore dry, I notice very little if any change in cold bore impact.

So you were shooting your AI off of your Hog Saddle from your office window? Sounds like you lead a rather damaged life ;)

Forgive me, my jealousy precedes me...

When my work moved me up to WA State my awesome incredible wife supported me in finding a property that I can shoot on. Most of the neighbors shoot. It's the sound of freedom.

I do miss the long range shooting at Sacramento Valley when I lived down in CA - one of the best ranges in the country.

Here's my setup (showing my Rem 700 in AICS):

Attachments

• Picture 639.jpg
    Picture 639.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Absolutely awesome. Would love to get sick of work and walk across the room and shoot a group! Nice looking 700, how bout some specs/groups on that one too. Also, pics of the new rig wouldn't hurt...

Absolutely awesome. Would love to get sick of work and walk across the room and shoot a group! Nice looking 700, how bout some specs/groups on that one too. Also, pics of the new rig wouldn't hurt...

It's a Remington 700 LTR Left Hand with barrel threading by Tornado Technologies. Timney trigger with the flat shoe. Scope is a Leupold Mark IV 6.5x20 with Badger rings and base. For the money, a Remington 700P is hard to beat. Just add some Badger bottom metal or equivalent and you are good to go. The center feed setup with the AI 5 round mags is just bomb proof.

I plan to put this rifle back in the original HS Precision stock with Badger bottom metal to make a light weight walking around rifle. Might unload the left hand AICS as I purchased it to see if I would like the ergonomics before I took the plunge on the Arctic Warfare.

I manage a group in India (hence the home office - I work very early and very late) and I frequently demonstrate my firearms via video conference. Needless to say they believe I live on another planet.

Last edited:
Here are shots 16-25 shot from prone with a bipod at 100 yards. Between the 5th and 6th shot I walked 100 yards and back to check on my group but decided I would go for a 10 rounder. I know I can do better with practice, but damn I'm happy if I can shoot a 10 round group like this.

It's hard to describe, but the rifle just shoots effortlessly. The recoil is mild and straight back. I think these rifles cost so much because they include some technology to guide the bullets for you. They just don't say anything because of ITAR regulations. They should rename the company to EA - Effortless Accuracy.

Attachments

• Picture 706.jpg
    Picture 706.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
No - but the break in procedure calls for using a strong copper solvent and nothing removes copper like Sweet's. I normally use Butches Bore Shine or plain old Hoppes.

When I clean with Hoppes and swab the bore dry, I notice very little if any change in cold bore impact.

Ok. I was just curious. Can't find any fault in that logic.

TTR

The hits just keep on coming - these are all 5 shot groups at 100 yards with a bipod. I decided to give 43gr Varget behind the Sierra 175s a try and it seems to be a tad more accurate. It chronographs at 2615.

Now that I have an accurate rifle, I have noticed how the angle of the sun moves the groups around during the day. Most of the time it's overcast in the Pacific Northwest so the fact that my range faces south is not a big deal. But on warmer days with cumulus clouds and high humidity the groups shift noticeably. I'm told benchrest shooters know all about this - they even have a saying "sun up bullet up". Reference is made to this in the U.S. Army Sniper's manual and they tell you to refer to your log book for similar conditions and correct accordingly.

On an unrelated note, this little rabbit really digs my AIAW - he gets within 4 feet of me and just nibbles grass as I shoot. Advantages of using a suppressor I guess.

Attachments

• Picture 723.jpg
    Picture 723.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 8
  • Picture 724.jpg
    Picture 724.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Picture 725.jpg
    Picture 725.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Picture 727.jpg
    Picture 727.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Picture 726.jpg
    Picture 726.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Great groups, think you may have the load for it. That is some fine shooting, but it wants to be stretched out. I would like to see some shots at long range, when you get a chance. Nice pet rabbit as well.

Great groups, think you may have the load for it. That is some fine shooting, but it wants to be stretched out. I would like to see some shots at long range, when you get a chance. Nice pet rabbit as well.

Last weekend I shot out to 750 yards, but it was on a steel plate with other shooters hitting the same plate. I'm going to bring out a target board so I can record my groups.

Folks,

My first 5 rounds EVER with my new AIAW. I was standing using my Hog Saddle shooting out my home office window. 30P-1 supressor. Distance 40 yards (because I was sighting in).

1st shot - 1.5 mils low from orange dot. Used reticle to correct elevation.
2nd shot - Adjusted 1.5 mils up and blew off the orange dot
3rd - 5th shot - picture tells all

I only needed to come down 1mil from the factory Night Force scope setting. Windage was perfect. I have a Spuhr mount.

175 SMK, 44.0 Varget, Lapua Brass, CCI BR2

I believe I have an accurate rifle.

If you run out of reloading components(or just get tired) you need to try the 175 Buffalo bore sniper ammo. I was shooting the same rig (AI artic wf) and it shot like the hornady 140 amaxs out of a 6.5 creedmor. Shot better than fgm and alot faster. Here's the link.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=42