• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing First Stock Bedding Job...crap

Handloader

Minuteman
Jun 11, 2009
Lewisburg, Ohio
Did my first bedding job on a Savage 111 300 Win Mag with a Tupperware stock. If I can say so myself, it officially looks like shit. I was unable to find an aftermarket stock with that was for both a sporter weight barrel and a detachable magazine. I cut two pieces of 3/8 steel rod and put into the stock, milled out the plastic supports, installed a second stud, and expoxied with Devcon. Mistake number 1. I did not notice the work time until I started to mix the epoxy (Four minute work time is TOO SHORT); 2: did not notice the epoxy was cream colored when dry; 3: did not have time to grab more tongue depressors. The job came out functional, and I will test fire on Friday to see if I can get the groups less than 1.5inches at 100 yards. Next, will be to put some tip pressure on the barrel if needed.

I write this to not demonstrate ignorance, but to potentially help others avoid the error. I wanted a dry run before I attempted this on a Rem 700 SPS .308.

Re: First Stock Bedding Job...crap

There are several DIY's here with photos galore. Theres no reason for you to struggle with this. Search and you shall find.

You want the Devcon 10110 steel putty. Working time is 45 minutes.

Sounds like maybe you used the syringe shit found at walmart.

Google "Devcon 10110".

Bingo....The Devcon was NOT 10110. I pulled the "how-to" from a different web site. I will see how it shoots, but will end up grinding it back out, and staring over. I have tuned/tried many handloads until I thought my shoulder would fall off. Just trying to squeeze out a tighter group before I head to WY in a few weeks for a hunt (I may end up bringing the .308, but man is it heavy for the mountains).

even if the rifle shoots 1.5 or under it sounds like you are worried and unhappy woith the final result.
do yourself a favor and redo the bedding with devcon steel 10110 and get some piece of mind knowing it will be to your satisfaction.

At least you didn't glue the action into the stock. If you got the action sitting where it is lined up correctly in the stock don't completely remove the existing devcon. leave a couple points to help align the action in the stock for the next time. They don't need to be very big, but will save a lot of headaches.

Ordered the Devcon 10110 from Midway (and a whole bunch of other stuff). I will try again...Thanks for the help!

The first rifle I glass bedded 10 years ago had some problems:
1) epoxy ran out of rifle.
2) epoxy got on my pants.
3) epoxy got on the chair
4) epoxy got on the rug
5) some epoxy was still in the rifle, because I had to break the stock to get it off.

Now I use epoxy that is not runny or fast hardening.
I like Devcon Steel putty or Acraglas Gel.

I have also learned to store epoxy in the house, not the shop.
If the epoxy is cool when mixed, it never hardens.

I have learned that non magnetic stainless 3/8" tubing for pillars is too hard to machine.

I have learned that 3/8" brass tubing has a dissimilar metal problem with steel actions.

I have learned to pre compress 3/8" steel tubing in a mill vise, so that it will not compress .010" at the bur when used as a pillar in pillar bedding.

I have learned to get the masking tape, release agent, set up work, and a few practice assemblies before I mix the epoxy.

Clark,
I got a good laugh out of your lessons. My favorite, and I spilled a Pepsi after reading it, was #5. #1-4 I have done. I haven't broken a stock yet, but thought I was going to on a Ruger once. I don't own any Ruger bolt actions any more.

I've had Clark's 1-4 too and a variation of his #5.

I haven't tried it again. Everytime I hear Devcon I think of Uncle Remus' Briar Rabbit and the tar baby.