• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First stuck case!

Jayne

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2006
RTP, NC
Been reloading for 10, err, make that 15 years now and tonight I got my first stuck case. A friend asked me to make him some .416 Rem Mag so he got me the components and a brand new set of Hornady dies.

Lubed the cases like I do my .308 with Hornady one-shot on all sides and went to sizing. Case #78 stuck and ripped the base off before I even noticed anything was wrong. I thought I could tap it out so I loosened the decap (you can see where this is going) and tap, tap, tap... now I have a stuck case and a bent decap rod. f**k.

Guess I'll contact Hornady and see how much my stupidity will cost me.

Re: First stuck case!

Use Imperial sizing wax or Hornady's similar product and you will probably never have a stuck case again. I use the Hornady paste/wax product unless I am resizing over about 100 cases at one sitting.

When I go to volume I put a little lanolin in vibratory cleaner throw a couple hundred cases and let them vibrate awhile and then resize. A little lanolin goes a long ways.

+1 on Imperial or RCBS lube (my choice). On-shot screwed me once and it won't happen again.

I've used Lee, Midway and the Hornady one-shot stuff and none of it has let me down for .223, 30-30, .308 and .50bmg.

I don't think I cleaned the new die out well enough and I was moving kinda fast, maybe I heated it up too much? .416 is all new to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Match308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on Imperial or RCBS lube (my choice). On-shot screwed me once and it won't happen again. </div></div>

+2 I use the Imperial die wax because the Hornady "one shot" over-worked and stuck .308 brass that was "once mg-fired" surplus. I'll never go back after using the Imperial.

If you have been reloading for that period of time and this is the first time sticking a case, then you are lucky. That, or you have been reloading for handguns w/carbide dies only
grin.gif

Two things you can do. One is to send the die back and they will fix you up no questions asked, but you are no more prepared than now for the next time (which there will be unless you are just doing handguns, of course). The second will serve you better. Call Hornady and tell them you bent the stem and they will ship you a new one, and then call whatever reloading supply you wish and get a stuck case remover and a tin of Imperial wax. I prefer the RCBS remover, but have the Forster kit too. Now you are prepared in case the first time ain't the only time you stick a case
wink.gif

Shit happens, and no lubricant is perfect. I did a lot of reforming for a rifle I have and I can really appreciate the Imperial wax. Even using the Imperial, I had to anneal first, then go slowly.

YMMV, .02, and whatnot..............

I have been reloading for 20+ years and have stuck about 20 cases. You are doing OK. One particular set of dies I stuck 6 cases out of 100 cases sized. Needless to say I got rid of that die.

The best way for me to remove cases is to:
1) loosen or remove the decap stem
2) turn the die upside-down in a vice and drill out the base of the case
3) run and easy-out into the base of the case
4) within 1-2 turns the case will start backing out
5) with the case now stuck on the easy out, clamp the case in a vice
6) turn the easy out the opposite way and everything comes apart.
7) reassemble you die, put your tools away for next time, throw the case in your box of scrap brass for recycling.

I have tried the "drive it out from the top" method and it always results in something getting bent or broken.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I should invest in a set of easy-outs in various sizes anyway since I seem to be getting myself into more trouble these days trying to 'fix' stuff. If it works I think it will be a better multi-purpose tool investment than just the stuck case remover.

I'm just about out of that can of one-shot and I have two cans of the frankford arsenal lube on the shelf. Maybe I just under-lubed for the .416.

BTW why don't they make carbide rifle dies? That's all I buy for pistol, someone must have figured out how to do ti-nitride or whatever in a rifle sized die by now?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the advice. I think I should invest in a set of easy-outs in various sizes anyway since I seem to be getting myself into more trouble these days trying to 'fix' stuff. If it works I think it will be a better multi-purpose tool investment than just the stuck case remover.

I'm just about out of that can of one-shot and I have two cans of the frankford arsenal lube on the shelf. Maybe I just under-lubed for the .416.

BTW why don't they make carbide rifle dies? That's all I buy for pistol, someone must have figured out how to do ti-nitride or whatever in a rifle sized die by now?

</div></div>

You still need to lube rifle cases even when using the carbide rifle dies such as Dillon's 223 and 308. The carbide ring only aids them in longevity for mass reloaders, it's not a 'lube or no lube' situation.

Heck, even the Sig 357 needs to be lubed. Bottle neck cases (or even large non BN rifle cases) require a lot of sizing force, hence lube is needed, unlike smaller, straight walled pistol cases. It's just a 'physics' thing.

I'm about to do 500 RP 223s and I have a new can of One Shot, so I'm nervous. I need to dust off my old 70s, silver 'Thrill Seeker' helmet and get to work.

Fingers crossed, Chris

You can also drill out the primer pocket with the correct size drill bit for a 1/4"-28 fine thread tap. Run the tap down through the primer pocket. Get a 1/4"-28 fine thread bolt about 2 to 3 inches long. Run the bolt with a bunch of 1/4" washers down the primer pocket and slowly tighten the bolt untill it pulls the case out of the die. Hope that helps.
Trevor

"Shit happens, and no lubricant is perfect."

DHD, I understand what you mean but differ. I've used most commercail and a lot of non-commercial lubes and, at least in my experiece NO proper lube has ever failed me. But, boy, I have failed to use some correctly!

I like spray lubes for large volumes of handgun stuff but expect to use any of the wax lubes, finger applied, on rifle cases for the duration.

I dont mean to laugh but the first time i got one stuck, and i have been reloading for 10yrs as well. I went... awwwwwh F**K now what the hell do i do. Thank god for fathers who reload as well. All the times we reloaded together he failed to touch on this topic (or was that his plan all along HUMMM). But when i called him he was quiet amused. He came over with his stuck case remover and ta da...good to go. Needless to say i ordered a stuck case remover that day. I dont think it is the type of lube i think... no wait...i know i was the dumbass that did not put enough lube on it. I use Hornday one shot as well from 22-250 to 30-378 rounds and not a prob. when lubed properly.

About 30 years ago Hollywood (not the town of course) offered FL tungsten carbide bottle-necked rifle dies for their progressive loaders. I paid a small fortune in the 70's for one in .308, but you still need to lightly lube the case or it will stick. I don't know of anyone that offers rifle TC dies today, so the idea probably doesn't work.

Hollywood's progressive loaders which weighed about as much as a small engine block were less than wonderful too.

Use enough lube, apply with your fingers to the neck area as you place the case in the shell holder, and don't rush. You can feel if your getting too light with the lube, so use a little more on the next case. Use much more lube for resizing large magnum cases or for reforming.

Good Luck, Sherlok

I also found that if you use the thick lubes like the ones that come with the RCBS reloading sets you can actually over lube the case and it gets build up in the die and creates a vaccumm when it plugs up the vent hole in the side of the die.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Shit happens, and no lubricant is perfect."</div></div>

But some are closer to perfect than others. One Shot isn't very close.

I used Imperial wax for the first time today and it is the best case lube I have ever used. I resized a couple hundred cases and didn't have one case even come close to feeling tight.

Finally tried the easy-out method this morning, and other than some brass shavings and harsh language, nothing came of it other than scratches on my new tools.

Off to order a stuck case remover.

How did I know exactly what this thread was going to contain just by seeing " First stuck case "? One Shot is the problem, and more importantly Imperial Sizing Wax IS the answer. Whatever they put in that stuff, they don't charge enough for it. DHD's right. It is the "shizzle"

"...no lubricant is perfect."

Most lubes are near perfect IF they are applied correctly. Many users don't apply One Shot correctly.

The exact method I described in the PM I sent you is explained by Dave Scovill, in this month's handloader magazine. So it isn't only me who's suggesting it. Will you try it now?

You'll need:
1/4" X20 tap
13/64" drill
1/4" X20 bolt (1 &1/4" length should do fine)
4 or 5 fender washers of 1/4" or greater (the bolt must fit inside them)
Any socket, that will closely match the diameter of your die and allow the head of the stuck case in question to fit into it.

Chuck the die in a padded bench vise,
Drill out the primer,
Tap the hole,
insert the bolt in to a couple washers,
drop bolt into the drive end of the socket,
start bolt into primer hole and begin to tighten until it comes out.

Even a non construction guy can handle this HEHEHEHEHE!

Socket acts the same as the stuck case remover and saves the shipping and time to order and wait on delivery.

I mean you already have the stuff I listed right????????????

Dillon's lube works great; when used as directed!
By now you have removed the die from the press right?

The Lee dies with that Uber-strong decapping/expander rod have ALWAYS done the job for me.

Otherwise, it's drill and tap, stack washers or big nut or socket, then screw it out.

When you're teaching Scouts, there are more opportunities to...serve.

I use a small pipe nipple, a 1/4-20 bolt and tap. Drill, tap, and pull it.

I had a lot of problems with my Hornady .223 die and they finally sent me another one. If this one acts up, I'm throwing it away.

I already through out the one shot. Pam cooking spray works better than that crap.

I use the hornady sizing wax now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Many users don't apply One Shot correctly.</div></div>

Agreed, correctly applied, One Shot will work. But it is still not as slick as any other lube I've tried.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The exact method I described in the PM I sent you is explained by Dave Scovill, in this month's handloader magazine. So it isn't only me who's suggesting it. Will you try it now?</div></div>

Yes, I will try it. I have the sockets and the vice and have the primer pocket drilled, but will have to get the tap and bolts at the hardware store tomorrow.

Looks like a 13mm socket fits perfectly against the die body, a 12mm doesn't look like it will clear the brass as easily. I may need a longer and a shorter bolt to make sure I can get the brass out, that .416 case is really long and might need 2 'stages' of extraction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy a new Die. Consider it a fine for being dumb. </div></div>

Ouch. If I had to pay $80 every time I was dumb I would be broke!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DHD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, it be da shizzle! </div></div>

I have some now, will try it at the next sizing session.

Use a pipe nipple and you won't need to worry about what socket fits or doesn't.

I dont know. Im new to reloading and about as
dumb as you can get. All ive used is oneshot
and i have yet stuck a case(knock on the wooden bench).
Like the previous poster said "its all how you
apply it". Follow the directions.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The exact method I described in the PM I sent you is explained by Dave Scovill, in this month's handloader magazine. </div></div>

...and it works! The only mod I made was to use the press itself as a vice instead of the vice. I've got the RCBS 50bmg press with the die adapters for smaller calibers so it was easy to mount the die upside down from the inside of the press facing out. Ended up with no movement and a nice flat surface to set the sockets on.

The expander unthreaded off the spindle and got stuck in the case, but once the case was out I just cut the bastard in half with the dremel and got my expander back.

The case is super slippery, btw.

Thank you everyone for your advice and patience!

De Nada!

I've had the RCBS extractor since my first efforts at reloading. I had one stuck case and it worked great! I had not let the Dillon lube alchohol evaporate before resizing an 30-06 case and created a kind of vapor lock in the die. Like you did!

Since that time I've had no issues. But the field expedient I described (and Dave Scovill likely stole!) is all readily available to most shop savvy types and can save time and money.

I'll bet it doesn't happen again!

I had this happen once w/ a 22-250 and on-shot before. Used it too soon after applying and didn't give it time to dry out properly first. I was using a RCBS die and took it into Shipton's Big R. They switched it out for me straight across with a new one off the shelf, and sent it off to RCBS. This was even though I hadn't bought the die there. Good people.

If you havent stuck a case until now after 20 yrs of reloading, thats amazing. I have stuck more than one in a night when I f'd up my lubing before they went into the hopper for the 650! And have bent more than my share of decapping pins!!

if one hasnt tried Imperial, one needs to! If you are wildcatting, its a must! Use sparingly though!!

John