• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors First suppressor help

Joemannnnn

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I'm looking to finally make my first suppressor purchase. For whatever reason, I've always been intimated by the process. I've finally decided to just go for it.

I'm looking for a good all around suppressor for my 6.5 creedmoor T3x, 6.5 18” Grendel AR, and 16" 223 AR. I'm mainly just punching paper for fun and will use for hunting as well. I don't see myself adding much in terms of different calibers down the road. Perhaps may build a sbr in 223 or grendel one day, so that's maybe a consideration.

I've read a bunch online about my different options. Unfortunately I don't have the resources around me to really ever witness or test anything. So I'm looking for some input on my options taking into account my rifles and use.

I've been considering the Omega, Sandman S, and perhaps even the TBAC ultra 9.

The sandman option is interesting because of their promo for the Ghost M that's running. Could snag my first pistol supressor too. However with 2 stamps and all, it's getting to be quite the jump into the pool. That may not be too practical.

I've read good things about the Omega, that's probably third on my list though. The TBAC seems to get the best reviews these days. But also is the priciest and sold out it seems.

Some questions about the TBAC... Are they typically hard to come by? Any eta on restock? Should I consider the 6.5 version or stick with the original? Do they ever go on sale?

As for the purchase itself, thinking Silencer Shop and their single shot trust. I live in NC and have a kiosk nearby. Is that an ok option? Appreciate any input on that end as well.

Thanks for the help

As for the process it is what it is. After the first time you know what to expect and its a hell of a rush when you get that call that your stamp is in......Quite frankly I find it addictive. On my 3rd can and 4th stamp (transfer first one into trust)

I have an Ultra 9 cb 30 cal CB and I’m a broken record around here telling folks how much I love it. I’m of the mindset go up in call so you can use it on more rifles but thats me.

Yep.....Ordered my last one through @HansohnBrothers and can’t say enough good. Awesome folks and they don’t jerk around and thereby extending the wait time. Something you want think about when choosing a suppressor vendor......

If you don't mind me asking, what is the purchase process like with them? Would I still utilize the single shot trust and local kiosk and then factor in a transfer? Or can they help the process?

Some questions about the TBAC... Are they typically hard to come by? Any eta on restock? Should I consider the 6.5 version or stick with the original? Do they ever go on sale?
Hi,

We make all of our suppressors in-house and in relatively small batches. As a result, "everything" is in production "all the time." We have many batches in-flight at any given time, and what we build "next" is based off our build-sheet, which is itself based on what the dealers and individuals have ordered. So it's not like we're waiting on a restock, it's just that the dealers who put orders in 6-8 weeks ago are receiving their new stock now. IE, the rolling backlog is currently about 8 weeks.

We've written up this, and also incorporated a in-stock tool and a "suppressor locator" in this online tool: https://thunderbeastarms.com/availability
You can also use this to find a specific suppressor.

The best way to find one is to get one a dealer already has on-hand, or at least on order.

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking, what is the purchase process like with them? Would I still utilize the single shot trust and local kiosk and then factor in a transfer? Or can they help the process?
Well on the one I purchased from them they transfered it to my in state FFL. My FFL took it from there. @HansohnBrothers are on the forum here and will likely pop in to answer any questions.

On your trust go here: https://www.guntrustguru.com/ please tell Jim I sent you. I was recommended to him by the folks at Thunderbeast. They make it simple and are very helpful. My review is on the front page (LS).

Last edited:
I would look at the YHM Resonator as well. Middleweight I'd call it (16 ounces), fully welded design (no sleeve to come off), Great mounting system (and cheap muzzle devices, $65), full auto rated, 300 RUM rated, and the price is great (hansohn has them for $465). The sound is great too IMO.

Hi Joe, we can ship to any dealer. If your dealer is SilencerShop Powered, they can have SilencerShop handle the form 4 with a Single Shot Trust. We can submit the form 4 if your dealer agrees but there will still be a transfer fee. Below are the dealers we've worked with in the past:

1544907399281.png

We also recommend https://www.guntrustguru.com, mention us as your referral.

Last edited:
Reactions: jda2631

Basically you will purchase from where ever you like (Hansohnbrothers are awesome I highly recommend them), they will ship to your dealer. At that point the place you bought it from is done, your dealer takes over for the transfer to you and you can use silencershop from that point. Silencershop route is very easy, buy the trust from them print it, get it notarized, get fingerprinted at the kiosk, get a pass port photo and upload. At that point your dealer will start the form 4 to transfer to you. Silencershop will let you know if they have everything they need or if you need to do something else. Very helpful and take a lot off of you, they make sure you have everything you need.

I would look at getting their full trust, or the unlimited single shot because cans are like chips, you can't stop after you have one.....

On the TBAC, consider going ahead with the 30 cal instead of the 6.5. I got a 6.5 Ultra 9 thinking I wouldn't be getting any larger caliber. Shortly thereafter I bought a 300WM. Luckily I got a great deal on a 338 Ultra so I'm well covered now. But if getting just one, I'd recommend the 30 cal vs the 6.5 version.

Reactions: jda2631
THIS ^^^

I bought an Ultra 7 in 6.5 mm as my first suppressor because none of my 30 caliber rifles were threaded. Had so much fun with the 6.5 Ultra that I am now getting my tactical and hunting 30 cal rifles threaded and currently have a 30 cal Ultra 7 in NFA jail.

Would have been easier and cheaper to simply go with the 30 cal option from the beginning. Good advice... even Zak from TBAC has recommended this route to first time suppressed shooters. Jump in and enjoy!

It Sounds like your looking at quality cans from the get go. I made the mistake of purchasing a less expensive can as my first suppressor because I did not want to spend 1K on my first; mainly because I wasn't sure I'd use it that much. Its a good can, very well constructed, and sound reduction is nice but its all steel and heavy. Its not what I would consider a precision rifle can because of the weight. Fast forward two years and I've got several cans and a Silencerco Hybrid, TBAC Ultra 9 in ATF Jail, and will probably purchase an Ultra 7 6.5 in the next few months. Considering its a lifetime purchase a few hundred won't make a difference a year from now. I can almost promise you once you start shooting suppressed, you won't go back. Hunting is about the only time I don't typically shoot suppressed. If I were pig hunting or coyote hunting that would different.

From the research that I've done the TBAC is going to be the better precision rifle can. The OMEGA or Sandman maybe the more versatile can with ARs in the mix. SilencerCO and TBAC Both seem to have pretty good customer service, but I will tell you TBAC seems to go above and beyond in that regard. I've only handled the one can from them so far I have purchased but i will say the machine work is impecable. You can tell they build the can from start to finish with one goal in mind.

I was just going to mention the nomad, the barrel length restrictions are insane for how light it is if an AR is concerned.

Reactions: Potss
Nomad for sure. 14 ozs, so it’s at the lighter end of the spectrum, but not lightest by any means. The QD mount is as good as it gets, it’s full auto rated with no barrel length restrictions, and in direct thread form it only adds 6” or so. It’s a short, quiet, light, and very durable can. Not to mention I don’t think anyone will argue that Dead Airs customer service can be beat. I will say that Thunderbeast has excellent service as well, and I love my Ultra. The Ultra is a better dedicated precision can, but the Nomad is currently the best do all can that doesn’t suffer in any category like most jack of all trades cans do.

Reactions: Potss
No love for GSL suppressors?
I have one of their multi-cal cans in jail right now. I figured that if GSL's are good enough for the U.S. shooting team they're probably good enough for me.
default_dontknow.gif