• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First time @ 200

3wide

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2008
Iowa
Shot my 10/22 for the first time at 200 today. Temp was 30deg, wind still to 5 mph.

50 yard zero with Wolf MT, 24 MOA to get to 200.

Also shot at 1/4 scale ipsc steel targets, was able to hit on average 9 out of 10 on steel.

This was alot of fun, look forward to doing it again.

DSC00741.jpg

DSC00738.jpg

DSC00743.jpg

Ruger 10/22
Magnum Research carbon fiber barrel
Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 md
Richards Micro fit stock
In need of Kidd trigger group.

Re: First time @ 200

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3wide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S
In need of Kidd trigger group.</div></div>

+1. My 10/22 trigger feels like it has 25 lbs. worth of pull.

I got one of those spring/washer/bushing/spacer trigger kits off gunbroker for my 10/22 and it made a huge difference. Just a thought for a cheaper alternative. Took like 20 min to put it all together.

You will find the toughest thing at distance with the .22 is bullet velocity consistancy. That will give you the large vertical spread. But it sure does make you pay attention to the wind. Wind flags REALLY help tighten up the groups. That and patients. I was shooting clay pigeons at 400 yards the other day. Took 5 shots ish to get one, but it seemed like the hits were all over the place at times vertically. Horizontally, I take all blame/credit for. Still lots of fun.

Regards,
DT

Good shooting. I like the center section of the second target the best. That is what you can expect on a good day with good ammo. I have shot a few 1/2 inch groups at 200, but most are about 1-2 inches if I get a good lot number.

i keep hearing good things on that KIDD trigger. I agree the stock trigger on the 10/22 is horrible. LOL, but the price on the trigger is more than what I paid for my used 10/22. Need to save some cash.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: isaaccarlson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good shooting. I like the center section of the second target the best. That is what you can expect on a good day with good ammo. I have shot a few 1/2 inch groups at 200, but most are about 1-2 inches if I get a good lot number. </div></div>

1/2 inch at 200 yards?! Really....?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Geno C.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: isaaccarlson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good shooting. I like the center section of the second target the best. That is what you can expect on a good day with good ammo. I have shot a few 1/2 inch groups at 200, but most are about 1-2 inches if I get a good lot number. </div></div>

1/2 inch at 200 yards?! Really....? </div></div>
Come on with enough of the shoot-n-c little cover up dots anyone can do that...jezzzz

All I saw was the CVO Calendar. Were you shooting out at Matsells? I enjoy shooting at clay's on the 200 yd. berm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Geno C.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: isaaccarlson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good shooting. I like the center section of the second target the best. That is what you can expect on a good day with good ammo. I have shot a few 1/2 inch groups at 200, but most are about 1-2 inches if I get a good lot number. </div></div>

1/2 inch at 200 yards?! Really....? </div></div>

On my second target there is a cluster of a few that are damn near touching. That was in the middle of when I shot the group, one right after another. Stars have to aline for that to happen but if they were the first three shots, I would have pulled the plug on that target for sure. 1/2" at 200 is possible, but not on demand.

Wish I could get mine that tight......I get 3-5" groups at 200 typically and just can't find anything that the gun likes better. Trigger could use some work on mine too. Remington model 5, anyone know how to tweak the trigger?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hookturnr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wish I could get mine that tight......I get 3-5" groups at 200 typically and just can't find anything that the gun likes better. Trigger could use some work on mine too. Remington model 5, anyone know how to tweak the trigger?</div></div>

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-311862.html

That might help, but a quick google search revealed little specific to your question. Anyway, I'm sure once you get it polished up you'll be shooting 1/2" groups @ 200 all day long like the rest of us.
wink.gif
(Sarcasm intended)

Seriously though, I consider Consistent 2.5 MOA (~5") @ 200 yards to be excellent accuracy from any .22 LR rifle/shooter combo, so I wouldn't expect your smallest groups to get much smaller. Just try to make those groups happen more often...that's my goal.

-The Kid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flynlow3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What brand and grain ammo are you using to shoot out to 200? </div></div>

Wolf MT 40gr.

Yeah, I'm not saying you might not have a few in a group go into a 1/2" group at 200, I've even had 3 go into almost the exact same hole within a ten shot group, I just don't call that a 1/4" group, when the rest looked about like the OPs groups.

My range has a 2"x10" round steel cylinder at 200 yards. I consistently put groups on that so 1/2 MOA (excuse me!) with 22lr is not that unusual for a trained marksmen with a good gun and ammo. I'll have to try the clays at 400 sometime, sounds very challenging.

It doesn't take long to get hooked on long range .22 shooting. It is lot's of fun! Good shooting!
smile.gif

So 1/4 MOA @ 200 yards is the new standard for rimfire accuracy? lol. I guess I just stinketh!

What can the shooter/gun do every time? This is the measure of practical accuracy. Say I shoot a 10 or 20 shot group @ 200 yards and it covers 4 inches. There may well be one or two, three shot strings within the boundaries of that group that all happen to land at nearly the same place, but that doesn't mean the rifle is even potentially a 1/4 MOA gun; it just means that 3 shots landed on the same random place within my larger (repeatable) group. The odds aren't all that long.

It is easy to want to give ourselves and our gear every benefit of the doubt and call everything outside of our accuracy expectation a "flyer" when in reality it falls well within the actual accuracy limitations of the shooter/rifle combo.

I encourage shooters to shoot several 5 or 10 shot groups and then average the group sizes to establish realistic expectations.

Here's a link to a good discussion on this topic:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1201341

Don't mean to highjack the thread, but this is one of my pet peeves. I don't care so much what a rifle will do on its best day as much as I do how it performs on its worst day.

-The Kid.

When you get a good lot number that allows you to hit 1" pebbles at will, you know the rifle is capable. I have used up my best lot number, but my current lot is not far behind.

When I got into 200 yard shooting I looked at NRA's 200 yard A-21 target with its (2" X Ring) and (4" 10 Ring) - regarding 2" to 4" as the goal to reach.

When throwing in the 9 Ring, we're looking at 8" - still good shooting IMHO from 200 yards.

We set one of our (SH 200 yard monthly comps) up using a 5" gong. This seems about right to me, though I'm not disappointed in any consistant results on gongs sizes 4" through 8" from 200 yards with my "scoped" setup.

What I'd really like to try (and I hope to this year) is finding the 200 yard range on a gong using aperture sights and seeing just how small I can go on that metal and make consistant hits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't mean to highjack the thread, but this is one of my pet peeves. I don't care so much what a rifle will do on its best day as much as I do how it performs on its worst day.

-The Kid. </div></div>

Save your breath brother, it just aint worth it.
wink.gif

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
HathcockWannebe said:
Don't mean to highjack the thread, but this is one of my pet peeves. I don't care so much what a rifle will do on its best day as much as I do how it performs on its worst day.

-The Kid. </div></div>

Save your breath brother, it just aint worth it.
wink.gif

Standing down, Sir.
laugh.gif
(My immaturity still lets it bug me though...)