• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First time AI AT owner....trigger question...?‍♂️

IW21

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2013
Where ever the work is
Ok, so I'm a TRG guy originally. Owned them for quite some time. Absolutely love the triggers. Anyway, so I get my new AT Friday, get her all setup, everything adjusted, scope set ??...

Then I go to start running the bolt, doing some dry fire and realize how much different the triggers are between the TRG and AI. When I hit the second stage on the TRG, and squeeze, that's it, zero travel after that.
When I hit the second stage on the AI, it's not a solid wall feel. Kinda mushy, but then breaks....and then just keeps on traveling for almost another 1/4 inch.

Can I adjust it so there's no over travel? 1/4 is pretty excessive

The aiae triggers were awesome, it makes my trg22 trigger (in a custom tikka) feel nice but not special. The ai comp trigger is what u are looking for, just a shame ai didn't keep the original trigger in them.

The aiae triggers were awesome, it makes my trg22 trigger (in a custom tikka) feel nice but not special. The ai comp trigger is what u are looking for, just a shame ai didn't keep the original trigger in them.

To be honest that's pretty sad you gotta spend even more ?‍♂️ Maybe I'll sell both and just get an M10 ?‍♂️

Maybe try adjusting it a little? Mine has a definite solid wall, with some over travel. The over travel doesn't bother me at all. Frank talks about it in the podcast as something that allows you to break the shot without hitting a hard wall afterwards, helping you to avoid some resonance or rifle movement when you hit that hard wall after the break.

But yeah, it's a field trigger. The comp trigger would fix it, but at a cost. Your call, adjust to it, spend some more dough, or move on to something else.

The Competition trigger is money well spent. It will make your TRG trigger feel like crap. Everything on it is 100% adjustable.

Reactions: IW21
Don't get me wrong guy's. This is a sweet system for sure. Just gotta get used to it.
The original AI trigger is designed for the battle field, with minimal trigger pull ~ 2.5 lb.
The addition of the Competition trigger will simply make the system perfect.

To be honest that's pretty sad you gotta spend even more ?‍♂️ Maybe I'll sell both and just get an M10 ?‍♂️
Then you’ll spend a lot more, and be stuck with their barrels, and no opportunity to buy the needed barrel extensions to have your own conversions made.

Regarding the trigger, I’ve always appreciated the lengthy over travel. They’re very forgiving rifles to shoot well, because the trigger doesn’t crash into a wall as the shot it breaking(as mentioned above). Also, if you’re actually making it through that overtravel, you’re crushing the trigger.

If you’re trigger doesn’t have a wall at the beginning of the second stage, it’s probably out of adjustment. Every one I’ve ever felt has that.

Reactions: IW21
Then you’ll spend a lot more, and be stuck with their barrels, and no opportunity to buy the needed barrel extensions to have your own conversions made.

Regarding the trigger, I’ve always appreciated the lengthy over travel. They’re very forgiving rifles to shoot well, because the trigger doesn’t crash into a wall as the shot it breaking(as mentioned above). Also, if you’re actually making it through that overtravel, you’re crushing the trigger.

If you’re trigger doesn’t have a wall at the beginning of the second stage, it’s probably out of adjustment. Every one I’ve ever felt has that.

Yeah I remember when I first got the TRG, I was actually pulling shots all the time. Eventually I think I just got used to the solid wall on that second stage. I'm sure I'll be golden after some time behind it. ??

Ok, so I'm a TRG guy originally. Owned them for quite some time. Absolutely love the triggers. Anyway, so I get my new AT Friday, get her all setup, everything adjusted, scope set ??...

Then I go to start running the bolt, doing some dry fire and realize how much different the triggers are between the TRG and AI. When I hit the second stage on the TRG, and squeeze, that's it, zero travel after that.
When I hit the second stage on the AI, it's not a solid wall feel. Kinda mushy, but then breaks....and then just keeps on traveling for almost another 1/4 inch.

Can I adjust it so there's no over travel? 1/4 is pretty excessive

Why are you still pulling the trigger after it breaks?

Frank has a video on this and I agree with his terminology that you can keep “crushing” the AI trigger after it breaks, but why would you?

I have to consciously keep crushing my AI trigger to notice it. As soon as it breaks, my finger stops.

As far as mush at the second stage wall, you can try the pull weight adjustment screw and see if it tightens everything up.

A few weeks ago I felt an AI trigger that had a mushy feeling between the stages. But my trigger on my AT doesn’t have this. The 2nd stage wall is perfect. If it did and I couldn’t get it to tighten up, I’d send it back to AI.

The comp trigger is a good option. I personally didn’t like it as much as my factory AI trigger.

Last edited:
Reactions: PBWalsh and Basher
Re: mushy break on the 2nd stage. Call Mile High Shooting, they can walk you through the adjustment. It is not the pull weight screw, but the sear screw that needs to be adjusted. My AX had a bit of creep compared to my AT, and a 1/8-1/4 turn of the sear screw was all it took to break like glass. But the sear screw can cause issues if adjusted too far, so take notes and stop when it feels good.

Re: overtravel. As mentioned it is a function that aids reliability in the factory trigger. It never bothered me since I try not to pull through the 2nd stage hard enough to feel it. But if you want zero overtravel and much lighter pull weight that’s still safe, then the Comp Trigger is your best bet.

I've never felt a need to modify my AI triggers as they came. I thought they were great.
First stage takes up and breaks cleanly.

The over travel is a non issue on a bolt gun. It's not like a uspsa open gun when you are riding the reset between shots.

I did buy a used AT that someone had fiddled with the trigger on. It felt like a Glock trigger. Manage to stuff a Allen wrench in and do a bit of adjusting so it broke normal again.

Why are you still pulling the trigger after it breaks?

Frank has a video on this and I agree with his terminology that you can keep “crushing” the AI trigger after it breaks, but why would you?

I have to consciously keep crushing my AI trigger to notice it. As soon as it breaks, my finger stops.

As far as mush at the second stage wall, you can try the pull weight adjustment screw and see if it tightens everything up.

A few weeks ago I felt an AI trigger that had a mushy feeling between the stages. But my trigger on my AT doesn’t have this. The 2nd stage wall is perfect. If it did and I couldn’t get it to tighten up, I’d send it back to AI.

The comp trigger is a good option. I personally didn’t like it as much as my factory AI trigger.

You misread what I wrote. I said, "when I first got my TRG"....not, "what I currently do is..."....?‍♂️?

You misread what I wrote. I said, "when I first got my TRG"....not, "what I currently do is..."....?‍♂️?

You said you have 1/4” over travel in your AI trigger and want to get rid of it.

I’m asking why that matters, you have to crush the trigger to get it to overtravel.

The AI rifles where designed to be robust precision rifles that will work anywhere in the world. This includes being carried through mud and muck. And work every time. Period. There’s a reason there’s no over travel stop.

If you you require an over travel stop on your super light precision rifle trigger, jewel makes a great trigger. And there’s plenty of M700 pattern actions to choose from to slap it on. Just don’t let Your rifle or trigger get too dirty.

I’ve been on the a hide a long time. I’ve read countless threads about all kinds of precision rifles and their strengths and weaknesses. There’s a reason I ponied up for an AI.

BTW don’t check the head space on your AI unless/until you get AI go/no go gauges.