• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report First time at 300yd

johngfoster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2007
NW MT
I know there is another thread here about the same topic, but I didn't want to hijack the OP's thread, so started my own. Here's the setup: Novice 308 shooter (me), prone shooting off bipod and small rear bag, 300 yd confirmed by Leica CRF 1200, 50* F, 3-5mph wind from 7:00, near sundown with sun @ 11:00, FGMM 175 SMK, 2 5-shot groups on steel (adjusted windage and elevation between the two groups), both groups measure 55mm (2.165") which translates to about 0.7 MOA @ 300yd. Should I be expecting more from this rifle/ammo? What would be reasonable expectations from a custom 308 with Bartlein 5R barrel? Here's some pics:

dsc0687el6.jpg

targetswingset.jpg

Re: First time at 300yd

looks good from here. i would say the gun is good; just shoot the hell out of it and both of you will get better.

A couple of things. One you don't say how many rounds are thru it. Some barrels will shoot lights out right off the bat some will take 100-200 rounds to settle down. I know some high end match shooters will not take any barrel to a rifle match until it has at least a 100 rounds thru it. Also most ammunition makers have a min. round count they put thru them before they start any ammo testing. Pressure or accuracy.

Also you are listing that you are using factory match ammo. Handloads generally will give you better accuracy than factory ammo. I know Federal match and some others are very good but you still deal with it being factory made and can very from lot to lot. Try some other stuff like Black Hills match etc...

Also shooting a .7 moa at 300 yards and it seems the gun is really consistent and is going to work for you.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

260 rounds down the tube so far. Mix of FGMM and handloads (Varget 44-44.6gr, SMK 175/A-MAX 178, BR2, lapua brass). Haven't settled on a load yet, as I've been having chrono troubles. Have some Black Hills on order, as well as Cor Bon and Lapua 155 scenars (factory loaded). Will see how she likes that stuff. Would I get better accuracy off sandbags instead of the bipod?

A good bipod and a bag under the buttstock will work fine. Keep your position consistent and the same hold etc...

In my one barrel I use 45.3gr. of Varget and 155 Lapua's and Sierra's and the gun is a hammer. I forget my load with 175's Sierra's.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Nothing wrong with that.

Since you said novice shooter, I doubt it's the rifle holding you back. I might suggest tight downward pressure on that rear bag to help reduce the vertical spread. The horizontal looks real good for the wind conditions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know there is another thread here about the same topic, but I didn't want to hijack the OP's thread, so started my own. Here's the setup: Novice 308 shooter (me), prone shooting off bipod and small rear bag, 300 yd confirmed by Leica CRF 1200, 50* F, 3-5mph wind from 7:00, near sundown with sun @ 11:00, FGMM 175 SMK, 2 5-shot groups on steel (adjusted windage and elevation between the two groups), both groups measure 55mm (2.165") which translates to about 0.7 MOA @ 300yd. Should I be expecting more from this rifle/ammo? What would be reasonable expectations from a custom 308 with Bartlein 5R barrel? Here's some pics:

dsc0687el6.jpg

</div></div>

Looks to me like two groups, each of which is 1.5" or under -- presuming the clusters of five are upper right and lower left, NOT five shots scattered between the entire lot.

Regardless, as a novice shooter, from a tactical style rifle, I think that level of accuracy/precision is more than acceptable. You need to adjust your expectations to match what it is you want to do. Will those groups win a Benchrest match? Of course not. But is 0.7 MOA good enough to win tactical matches? Yes, no sweat. I say, so far, so good.
smile.gif

Next time you're shooting groups, shoot them at individual targets -- whether or not on the same sheet of paper. Also, shoot the box test, to find out if your scope tracks and repeats.

You're doing fine. Keep it up.

I'd say you are off to a good start. I was able to tighten my groups by practicing dry fire at long distances and seeing the effects of grip and trigger finger on my cross-hairs. Use of natural point of aim (or not trying to force the gun to stay on target) also help me as did the advice on many on this site.

You're doing well

very nice looking groups you got there!

im hoping to get some like that pretty soon! just got my new scope, and just got it hiting paper the other day at 200 yards (was using PMC 55gr FMJ .223, just to get me close, got some hornady to really test her out)

good job on the groups! happy shooting!

Thanks for all the kind words. Groups were top-right and bottom left. Both groups measured 55mm (2.16"). Will have to spend more time dry firing.