• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Time at 500

Shoots 700's

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2008
Chester, Virginia
Ok I know for alot of people here 500 yards is a warm up. I shoot 3 gun at a couple of local areas here in Virginia and North Carolina.

2 weeks ago during our 3 gun match we had a team event. One stage one we were able to use the 500 yard range. I was to shoot the 500 and my partner was shoot the 200 yard plates.

Now mind you that there were 32 shooters all shooting at the same time. Our 500 yard taget was a 5" round dot on a piece of copy paper.

I loaded my 7MM mag up with some 140 grain Ballistic Tips over 63.5 grains of R-22.

I esimated the drop as I don't have a crono and allowed for 31 inches of drop.

Long story short I hi the intended target and the other 4 rounds were just off the paper.

This could become very addicting.

Re: First Time at 500

Let the addition begins. You may want to invest in a chrono to get an accurate velocity so you can generate a ballistic chart. That way you won't waste bullets. There are other ways to get that without chrono, but involves more work and money. FWIW, having a chrono is the way to go. 7 mm Mag is a good cartridge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This could become very addicting. </div></div>

Jeff,
You may want to consider cocaine. I think it is less addicting and definately less expensive than long range shooting!
smile.gif

I've had the passion to shoot long range since the 60's and still do to this day. Having to learn how to shoot over 1,000 yards from ship to shore in the 'Nam was a trial by fire that was the best thing that ever happened to me. What I learned then and in the years since I try to share with other shooters to this day.
You are hooked for sure. In time you will amaze yourself with how far one can accuracy shoot their rifles.
Good shooting!

Hey Jeff, We have a skeet shooting range in rustburg VA and we started shooting rifles at 200 yards a few years back. Last year we put in a 500 yard range and it is so addictive. We now have 100 to 500 yard shootouts every sunday between the clubmembers.
How far is chester from say Lynchburg VA. Do you know of any 1000 yard ranges around?

I recently became addicted to this shit as well. About a month ago, I bought a 15X15 hanging steel target for my brother in-law as an incentive for him to let me shoot at his place. I was able to set it up at a max range of 550 yards (determined using the reticle of my PRH 5-25). I downloaded bullet flight to my phone and used it to determine the drop. Luckily there was 0 wind and I rang the target on the first shot. That was the first time I had done any of this. Now all I think about is the smell of burning gunpowder and the thud of copper and lead hitting steel. My wife made me google OCD the other night.

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My wife made me google OCD the other night.

</div></div>
It is so funny that you say that, because my wife sometimes mentions that I have OCD. I would imagine that about 80% of the shooters here actually have it. LOL
SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My wife made me google OCD the other night.

</div></div>
It is so funny that you say that, because my wife sometimes mentions that I have OCD. I would imagine that about 80% of the shooters here actually have it. LOL
SScott </div></div>

Is it not normal to look at ballistic charts all day and reload formula's with burn rates.
laugh.gif

Yup, you're hooked.

One of my rifles is a 7mmRM, but it doesn't shoot as well with such light bullets. It sure likes 168gr Sierras and Bergers, tho.

Now can buy cases/bullets/primers in 1000 unit lots and powder by the keg like the rest of us.

Diablo,

I am going to try the sierra 168's next. I was using up some old stock that I had in the drawer.

What powder are you using with your loads?