• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report First time at 780yds

rybern

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2018
Alabama
Bergara HMR Pro 6.5CM, Vortex PST gen2 5-25 MOA, Seekins base & Rings
Round count: 154 prior to this range session
Load: 140gr ELDM, 41.5gr H5350, 2.845 OAL, .030" off lands

This was the first time I've Shot past 400 with this rifle. I've had this rifle 3 years but haven't spent enough time behind it and am still getting used to the ergonomics(I'm a seasoned 3-gun shooter and used to an AR). I've shot a 5 shot .44" group at 100yds with this rifle but have not been able to do it constantly. I'm pretty excited to have shot out to 780yds and I'm looking forward to going again. :)

Temps were in the 50's and crosswinds up to 12mph or so.

I verified velocity is around 2710fps. At 600yds I was about 1MOA low(can see evidence on the BC plate). I added an extra 1MOA to the Strelok data when engaging the 780yd plate and my elevation was pretty close. Wind was a challenge and 2 of my 5 shots went off the 780yd plate to the right.

Question:
1. To correct my Strelok data for my actual experience, I slowed the velocity down to 2660 fps in Strelok to account for the 1MOA adjustment I had to make. Is this a good practice or should I adjust another value? Maybe my Chronograph is a little fast.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20211223_120016.jpg
    20211223_120016.jpg
    553.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 20211223_123727.jpg
    20211223_123727.jpg
    679.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 20211223_124352.jpg
    20211223_124352.jpg
    938.6 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
What was the air pressure or density altitude?

What BC did you use-I find a lot of Hornady BC a bit off when used past about 500 yards.

Reactions: 338dude
What was the air pressure or density altitude?

What BC did you use-I find a lot of Hornady BC a bit off when used past about 500 yards.
I didn't note the air pressure or DA but the DA right now with similar temps is 1350.

BC in Strelok is .326.

I didn't note the air pressure or DA but the DA right now with similar temps is 1350.

BC in Strelok is .326.
I’d definitely adjust that BC
I’ve shot tons of 140 ELD and the box BC is a 200 yard number.
I think I used .302–.308 depending on the barrel/brake.
Obviously you’ll need to reset your speed. Input.

If your trying to true the ballistics program to actuals you need to been accurate on weather inputs.

Reactions: rybern and DIBBS
I’d definitely adjust that BC
I’ve shot tons of 140 ELD and the box BC is a 200 yard number.
I think I used .302–.308 depending on the barrel/brake.
Obviously you’ll need to reset your speed. Input.

If your trying to true the ballistics program to actuals you need to been accurate on weather inputs.
Ah, I changed BC to .302 and adjusted velocity to 2700 and those numbers provide a correct hold for the POI I was seeing yesterday.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like I need to be tracking more weather info than temp.

Ah, I changed BC to .302 and adjusted velocity to 2700 and those numbers provide a correct hold for the POI I was seeing yesterday.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like I need to be tracking more weather info than temp.
Temp and pressure.
I’d also start a notebook for notes when shooting

I kick myself for not doing that earlier.

Reactions: 338dude and 6.5SH
Temp and pressure.
I’d also start a notebook for notes when shooting

I kick myself for not doing that earlier.
Great idea. I've actually started a notebook but haven't been diligent in keeping notes. I need to go write up temp and pressure in it to remind me.

😂
I remember vividly being in your position years ago with my 260 learning about ballistic programs and wondering why it didn’t line up with actuals.

I think someone here explained the BC disparities.
Back then we didn’t have the easy to set up trusty chronys so I had that difficulty as well.
Do much fun!
8FBA21DC-E41C-4888-AF1C-4010C28D63D7.jpeg

That damn bird used to kick my ass!

Congrats! Always a great feeling to accomplish what you work towards.

Love seeing guys get out there and have success at a personal best. Keep it up!
Thank you. It was a motivating day for sure.
😂
I remember vividly being in your position years ago with my 260 learning about ballistic programs and wondering why it didn’t line up with actuals.

I think someone here explained the BC disparities.
Back then we didn’t have the easy to set up trusty chronys so I had that difficulty as well.
Do much fun!

That damn bird used to kick my ass!
Thanks. Great idea to catch a pic through the optic. Cool stuff for sure. How far was the bird?

• Haha
I did some shooting with my 6 Dasher on Friday.
Did some distance verification from 300-700 yds. At 700 my speed was adjusted to match my actual drop at 700. This then lined me up all the way out to 1k.
This is by far the easiest way that I have actually been able to validate my drop at distance.

Great idea. I've actually started a notebook but haven't been diligent in keeping notes. I need to go write up temp and pressure in it to remind me.
An item that can help with historical info if there is no nearby weather station is a Kestrel Drop. I have a D3 hooked to my pack so I always have something logging everything but wind and light.

If you have good habits and record things as you do it it is not needed, but I'm far from perfect and get tied up with wind or LabRadar or helping others and forget to note stuff, so the D3 is cheap insurance for me.

I did some shooting with my 6 Dasher on Friday.
Did some distance verification from 300-700 yds. At 700 my speed was adjusted to match my actual drop at 700. This then lined me up all the way out to 1k.
This is by far the easiest way that I have actually been able to validate my drop at distance.
Cool. It seems I did similar to achieve that but I lowered my BC some first based on other folks data of the same bullet.
An item that can help with historical info if there is no nearby weather station is a Kestrel Drop . I have a D3 hooked to my pack so I always have something logging everything but wind and light.

If you have good habits and record things as you do it it is not needed, but I'm far from perfect and get tied up with wind or LabRadar or helping others and forget to note stuff, so the D3 is cheap insurance for me.
Thanks for the advice. That looks like a nifty device but I plan to be more diligent on recording data. At least now I know what that is. ;)

An item that can help with historical info if there is no nearby weather station is a Kestrel Drop. I have a D3 hooked to my pack so I always have something logging everything but wind and light.

I ran a D3 for quite a while
Very useful

Congratulations that is awfully exciting to knock down a goal. Was not long ago I was doing the same thing dreaming of shooting those distances. Keep stretching it the fun doesn't stop there....how far can you shoot at that location? Enjoy the process the learning never stops! If you get stuck at a distance remember you can always aim smaller. IPSC heads are great for the concentration and so much fun and will build confidence as you step out. Enjoy it all congrats!

Last edited:
Reactions: 338dude and rybern
something like an Impact data book is a convenient way to keep track.
Another good idea. Thank you.
Congratulations that is awfully exciting to knock down a goal. Was not long ago I was doing the same thing dreaming of shooting those distances. Keep stretching it the fun doesn't stop there....how far can you shoot at that location? Enjoy the process the learning never stops! If you get stuck at a distance remember you can always aim smaller. IPSC heads are great for the concentration and so much fun and will build confidence as you step out. Enjoy it all congrats!
Thanks. 780 is the current max. But we have talked about moving the platform back to allow further. 880 should should be easy to achieve but the issue is getting high enough to see the targets. 1000yds is possible but still have the issue of getting high enough to see the targets. Current platform is about 7' high, is very solid and works well, but not so easy to move.

I'm hoping for a nice group at 780yds next time. At least get all on the target. 😉
I think you will surprise yourself how quickly you can progress and that rifle will let you keep on moving up too. I had a B14 HMR it was an absolute maven for 900 bucks. My Proof/Bighorn is not one bit more accurate or reliable than the Bergara. I went to it for 4" more barrel/mv to shoot out to 2k and the ability to switch to about any barrel I want. Point being you can run that Bergara silly so have fun with it and wear it out! Before you know it that IPSC head is gonna be all grey.

Hey just saw you are in AL what range is that?

I think you will surprise yourself how quickly you can progress and that rifle will let you keep on moving up too. I had a B14 HMR it was an absolute maven for 900 bucks. My Proof/Bighorn is not one bit more accurate or reliable than the Bergara. I went to it for 4" more barrel/mv to shoot out to 2k and the ability to switch to about any barrel I want. Point being you can run that Bergara silly so have fun with it and wear it out! Before you know it that IPSC head is gonna be all grey.

Hey just saw you are in AL what range is that?
Haha, I appreciate the encouragement.

It's private land that a friend has access to.

Haha, I appreciate the encouragement.

It's private land that a friend has access to.
Oh man there is nothing better. Auburn '93 here had a buddy whose family owned a lot of land near Waverly was really great. Enjoy.

Awesome. Downfall in my case is that takes nearly an hour and a half to get there but I'm still very grateful to have the opportunity to go there while it lasts. Up until a few months ago I had another friend with land 15 min from home that I could shoot out to 400.... unfortunately, he recently sold it.

Last edited:
  • Sad

This was the first time I've Shot past 400 with this rifle. I've had this rifle 3 years but haven't spent enough time behind it and am still getting used to the ergonomics(I'm a seasoned 3-gun shooter and used to an AR). I've shot a 5 shot .44" group at 100yds with this rifle but have not been able to do it constantly. I'm pretty excited to have shot out to 780yds and I'm looking forward to going again. :)

I verified velocity is around 2710fps. At 600yds I was about 1MOA low(can see evidence on the BC plate). I added an extra 1MOA to the Strelok data when engaging the 780yd plate and my elevation was pretty close. Wind was a challenge and 2 of my 5 shots went off the 780yd plate to the right.

Question:
1. To correct my Strelok data for my actual experience, I slowed the velocity down to 2660 fps in Strelok to account for the 1MOA adjustment I had to make. Is this a good practice or should I adjust another value? Maybe my Chronograph is a little fast.

Thoughts?
What they taught us was if I’m understanding you correctly knowing your bullet date is correct, in our case we used the average from a. 5 round group with the Chrono. The correct way is to take the shot and then dial elevation for correction and Andrea into the app to true it up so that the adjusted elevation becomes your correct number and then you do this for every distance so we went 100 200 300 600 700 800 and 850. Then we made dope charts with the finished results that said in my case I didn’t have an issue till 700 yards, beneath that the numbers were amazingly dead on , but when I went for the 800 shot I had to add almost 5 or six mills to correct it. I was using 175 grain match round, and then I save that and change the bullet to the 168 grains that I had and this is 308 I’m talking about but at any rate when I ran through the course again with the late around in this instance the numbers are all matched up except the 400 and to be dialed up to in the 600 was similar so as you know every different round needs to be tested again

Last edited:
Reactions: 338dude and rybern
I finally was able to shoot out to 1000yds this past Sat. I shot 780yds in Dec of 2021 with an MOA scope but I swapped over to a Mils optic since then. I had a nice group on a BC steel at 600 and once again shot 780yds before moving out to 1000yds.

Then we repositioned to 100oyds and shot across the hood. It took quite a few shots to get on target due to wind and elevation errors. There didn't appear to be much if any wind but we ended up having to hold .5 Mils to connect with steel. I also had to tweak my Strelok elevation data from 8.9 Mils to about 8.6 Mils. Ironically, I realized after this range session that switching the BC to .326 for the 140gr ELDM(which is what it says on the box) would have made my elevation correct on Sat. I had changed my BC in Strelok back in Dec to get Strelok to match actual POI.

It was really cool to connect with steel at 1000yds but I have a new respect for what it takes to make these shots past 800yds. I'm now a believer about hot much temp, humidity and wind affect these things.

The image below shows the 18" x 24" at 1000yds, a BC just below it at 820yds and a BC below(and to the left) at 720yds. This image also shows the approximate elevation hold.

Reactions: 6.5SH and 338dude

Question:

Thoughts?

Question:

Thoughts?
image.jpg

Reactions: rybern
What they taught us was if I’m understanding you correctly knowing your bullet date is correct, in our case we used the average from a. 5 round group with the Chrono. The correct way is to take the shot and then dial elevation for correction and Andrea into the app to true it up so that the adjusted elevation becomes your correct number and then you do this for every distance so we went 100 200 300 600 700 800 and 850. Then we made dope charts with the finished results that said in my case I didn’t have an issue till 700 yards, beneath that the numbers were amazingly dead on , but when I went for the 800 shot I had to add almost 5 or six mills to correct it. I was using 175 grain match round, and then I save that and change the bullet to the 168 grains that I had and this is 308 I’m talking about but at any rate when I ran through the course again with the late around in this instance the numbers are all matched up except the 400 and to be dialed up to in the 600 was similar so as you know every different round needs to be tested again
Adjust velocity to 600 adjust BC after that

Reactions: rybern
Thanks for the responses. .322 is pretty darn close to the .326 stated on the ELDM box but it is interesting that the Hornady loading book shows slightly different.