• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Time Build Question?

STI_1911_Guy

Sergeant
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2011
Michigan
I am about to start on my first ar-15 build and i had a question. What is a good upper and lower to start on. It does not have to be the greatest thousand dollar receiver, just a good starter. It will be made as a varmint rig with a heavy barrel. Thanks.

Re: First Time Build Question?

They are all good. But what ever one you go with, try and get the same brand. Like RRA upper and lower. Not a RRA upper with a DPMS lower. When you get the same brand upper and lower, I myself think you get a better fit. Not alot of movement.

But eitherway, you will enjoy building it.

Are you doing the work yourself?

i have several spike's tactical uppers and lowers. you can pick up a stripped spike's lower for $99 and it is a nice piece.
i have built several for myself and friends and i tell them this: there are several things that you can save money on but the two things that i would want is a good barrel and bold group.
don't skimp on that.
#1 a hammer forged, chrome lined 1:7 extended m4 feed ramps, i like Daniel Defense.
#2 mpi tested auto bolt carrier and bolt, i have used the bravo co bolts they are around $139

the spikes uppers are around w/dust over and f/assist are around $120

after that u can pick the options that u want on the gun.
my opinion is that those are the two things i would not skimp on.

sorry i missed the heavy barrel part of your question.
have not built a heavy barrel but from what i have read the ss barrels shoot well but will not have the life of the barrels that are chrome lined. 1:7 would still be the twist i would want for the heavier bullets. i would still buy a barrel from one of the known makers such as Daniel Defense. the rest of my previous post is god to go.

Just some fuel for the fire -

Check out AR15Performance . H builds what you ask, carbo nitride barrels and such....just something to read about vs going with chrome.

White Oak would be a strong option for varmint barrel as well.

Couple of vendors had some GBuys for Mega billet uppers etc...... Mega parts have served me well.

Bravo Company, RRA, DSA, LMT, YHM, WOA, Mega, Stag,

Scott at Primary Arms, Hide supporter, was excellent to work with as well.

yes i will be doing the work myself. I have customized lots of ar's and had them down to the very last spring and pin so i feel like its time to build one. But thanks for all the help from everyone.

X2 my first was a Sun Devil and I like it. It also has the adjustment bolt for taking out slop between the receiver and upper.

Check out the Mega Monolithic reciever set. Look past the $600 price on the upper at first and realize you dont need to buy a forearm for the rifle. If your building it yourself, the assembly is super-easy. It comes with the barrel nut and wrench and you don't have to worry about getting anything lined up while torqing the barrel nut.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STI_1911_Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am about to start on my first ar-15 build and i had a question. What is a good upper and lower to start on. It does not have to be the greatest thousand dollar receiver, just a good starter. It will be made as a varmint rig with a heavy barrel. Thanks. </div></div>

Good Morning Gentleman,
New to the forum here in SH, and so far I like it alot. I have browsed through for a while now and decided to make an account. I didn't want to make a new thread so I figured I would piggy back off of this one, hope he doesn't mind. I ordered an RRA LAR-15 Tactical Operator 2, after 51 days I called the local company and got their FFL to check up via RRA’s myself. Keep in mind I dropped (1,110.57) cash just to find out the company had never ordered it but took my money. Long story short I got a full refund and went to the gun show and bought a RRA M4 Carbine and I love it. I have a book, “Gunsmithing the AR-15” by: Patrick Sweeney and it is very comprehensive from the basics of the weapon’s conception to advanced techniques. So with this said, I am going to build my next AR, I found some RRA stripped lower’s for 130.00 and think that I can build a very capable weapon, how I want with the features I want. I want to build it for Prairie Dogs and would like it take shot’s around 5-600yds. Thought’s on this, I want to fit the RRA BBL either 18-20” maybe a bit longer? Once this is done I want to tackle a 7.62x51 as my “heavy hitter” or bug out gun. Curious to hear thoughts or recommendations, or some pics. Thanks in advance.

My M4

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CRF450XNUT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STI_1911_Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am about to start on my first ar-15 build and i had a question. What is a good upper and lower to start on. It does not have to be the greatest thousand dollar receiver, just a good starter. It will be made as a varmint rig with a heavy barrel. Thanks. </div></div>

Good Morning Gentleman,
New to the forum here in SH, and so far I like it alot. I have browsed through for a while now and decided to make an account. I didn't want to make a new thread so I figured I would piggy back off of this one, hope he doesn't mind. I ordered an RRA LAR-15 Tactical Operator 2, after 51 days I called the local company and got their FFL to check up via RRA&#146;s myself. Keep in mind I dropped (1,110.57) cash just to find out the company had never ordered it but took my money. Long story short I got a full refund and went to the gun show and bought a RRA M4 Carbine and I love it. I have a book, &#147;Gunsmithing the AR-15&#148; by: Patrick Sweeney and it is very comprehensive from the basics of the weapon&#146;s conception to advanced techniques. So with this said, I am going to build my next AR, I found some RRA stripped lower&#146;s for 130.00 and think that I can build a very capable weapon, how I want with the features I want. I want to build it for Prairie Dogs and would like it take shot&#146;s around 5-600yds. Thought&#146;s on this, I want to fit the RRA BBL either 18-20&#148; maybe a bit longer? Once this is done I want to tackle a 7.62x51 as my &#147;heavy hitter&#148; or bug out gun. Curious to hear thoughts or recommendations, or some pics. Thanks in advance.

My M4 </div></div>

Welcome!

Start on page 1 of this section and start looking/reading. The questions you are asking have been answered almost every week. For pics go to Google Images and type in "AR15 varmint" and you'll have all the pics of varmint ARs you could ever want.

Search is your friend..