• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing First time duracoater. Don't be too hard on me.

madd0c

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2010
South Carolina
Well, I got a smoking deal on a Dewalt refurbished 1.8 HP compressor, and thought why not get some duracoat to redo an older M1A scout with a black fiberglass stock. I did a little research online and came up with a small spray booth made out of 3/4" PVC and a 9-12' disposable .25mil dropcloth. I put a 1x2' 1mil plexiglas window on the top because the dropcloth wasn't transparent. I zip tied it to the pvc after drilling 4 holes in the corners. Then I masking taped the whole thing, and cut 3 slits in the front to put the airbrush through and to work through. It all worked great, and I ended up doing the badger rings for the scope as well. I did one coat today and it looks pretty good, I hope it will look even better after 2 more coats.

I bought the "easy duracoat" kit that came with a cheap harbor freight airbrush that seems to do a decent job (obviously not professional grade and if I do alot of airbrushing I will definitely upgrade this airbrush, but for a starter it definitely let me get familiar with airbrushing)

I know this isn't the artistry that several others have shown on here with amazing duracoat jobs, but as it was my first time ever using an airbrush I was pretty happy.

I used duracoat because I don't have an oven, and there is NO WAY that the wife to be will EVER let me bake anything toxic in the kitchen oven
cry.gif

Here are a few pictures. This is just a thread to let others thinking about duracoating something that it can be done by someone with no experience and absolutely no artistic talent.

The compressor that started the project. I had pumped up all the tires in the neighborhood, dusted the entire garage floor with the blower, and tightened everything that wasn;t nailed down with the impact ratchet, so needed something else to do with it.
laugh.gif

IMG_0264.jpg

Next is the spray booth from PVC...ok, ok, I SAID I'm not a professional...
IMG_0265.jpg

Here it is from the front with the slits cut...You can see the middle primary one definitely widened with use, but the overspray was headed in the other direction, so I didn't get any blow back through the opening.
IMG_0261.jpg

Here is a shot through the plexi, the flash really messed up the view, it is really quite clear, for the time being. I wiped it off after finishing up with a little laquer thinner to get the overspray off, and it seems to be holding up well.

IMG_0262.jpg

Next are a few shots of the pieces I sprayed, I can hang the stock from the pvc, but it put it at a really bad angle. I think for the next few coats, I will redo the hanging wires, and maybe make a small pvc frame inside to hang it while spraying. I couldn't figure out how to hang the ring ppieces, so I just sprayed them in place, and after they flashed off i turned them to get all sides. Sorry I did not get a shot of the stock before the first coat. It was black. nuff said.

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

Well, I will put up some shots of the finished project in a few days after I get the other coats on. Also anyone thinking of refinishing an M1A stock, the TruStrip or whatever that comes in the kit to degrease the parts to be painted will EAT the coating off the stock...ask me how I know... I had to sand it lightly after "degreasing" it. I guess I shoulda known anything called "trustrip" might eat the finish, though I suppose the little pieces of texturized finish I sanded off were degreased
blush.gif

Thanks for any comments,
madd0c

Re: First time duracoater. Don't be too hard on me.

I think you went thru a lot of trouble for nothing in the booth deal. Great idea, nice execution but I never put mine in a booth. The stock and rings do look good though. Can't remember specifics (I dislike and don't spray Dura anymore) but don't wait too long as that will dry and not hold the second coat. Most coatings require that if you wait longer than a day you must rough the surface again and degrease. Better to spray two coats consecutively ( ~ 45 min flash in cool weather) and then put up in a warm place for a week or so with that product.

Good Luck and it does look good keep going!!
Kael

Do you have air oil in the line from your compressor?
Is there a filter or something that needs to be connected to remove the oil?

Thanks,

Jeff

I have a small filter rated for 150psi I bought at lowes that isn't in the picture, I just use it for the airbrush to make sure there is no moisture from the cylinder. As for oil, I really never thought about it, but I would think the filter would take any aerosolized oil out of the air to the airbrush as well. The little filter was about $15.

The compressor is an oil free compressor, so I wouldn't think I need to worry about oil in the line. If I do, I hope the filter takes care of it. I didn;t notice any problems, and I finished the final coats tonight.

Hope that helps,
madd0c

Looks good. I've never worried about a booth. I just hang everything off the swivel stud with a bent coat hanger out in the garage.

Thanks,
I know alot of people are saying they didn't bother with a booth. With the airbrush there is minimal overspray, but I will tell you that cleanup was a snap. After finishing the final coats, I pulled the thin plastic dropcloth off, threw it away, snipped the zip ties i used for the window, and popped the pvc apart and saved the frame pieces in a box for later use.

I will get some pictures up of the assembled rifle after it dries for a couple of days.

Thanks for all the info,
madd0c

Ok, reassembled the rifle. I know this isn;t exciting to alot of people, especially with the incredible artistry shown by some in this forum (gunrunner most recently), but it was my first time ever with an airbrush let alone duracoat.

Just wanted to let any other people thinking they might want to try it that it can be done by someone with absolutely no artistic talent.

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

Thanks for the input,
madd0c

Looks good Doc!

Just finished my first duracoat project myself, slapped some OD on the frame of one of them "plastic pistols".

If I figure out how, I'll post some pics.

I have been thinking about doing something like this myself so thanks for posting! Please post more pics if you do anything else.

Thanks maddOc.
Oil-less compressor explains a lot.
Dang!

I like your rifle. Nice work.