• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing First Time Going for Virginia Coyotes. Tips? Tricks?

mountainman308

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2012
WV, USA
My friend and I are going for Virginia coyotes in the next few weeks. I have hunted upland game and ducks before, and he has been hunting deer a couple of times. Do you all have any wisdom on taking eastern coyotes that you would be so kind as to share with me? I have done a bit of research and already read this thread (http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ing/229584-getting-into-predator-hunting.html,) which had some great stuff on it. I am just looking to get as much info as I can.

We are planning to hunt on cattle pastures outside of Upperville in and around dusk. I assume 5.56 ARs should suffice. I have a turkey ghillie suit that my cousin gave me, and my buddy has deer camo. Will this work? Is getting off the ground a must, or could we use a ground blind? Any tips for where to shoot from, assuming the kill zone is a standard cattle pasture? I know that coyotes will try to circle down wind of their target; how do I avoid getting in between the coyote and the decoy?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited:
Never hunted Virginia dogs before but here in texas sometimes they come quick some times over 30 minutes of calling. Your camo will be fine I shot my first one of the season 2 weeks ago in blue jeans 556-223 will be more than enough for them good shoulder shot or head neck will do it. As far as wind goes depend on how smart the dog is the last one I shot came straight in and I had wind blowing to my back an she never slowed down. Good luck

I read all the forums and asked tons of questions when I got into hunting coyotes. The one thing I've learned is that these dogs don't do anything by the book. They constantly access their surroundings and adjust their actions. They are very smart but also very curious, which is probably the only way we ever get the chance to shoot at them. Don't get discouraged if you don't hear or see anything for a while, it took me almost a year to finally call my first one in. If you do call one or more in on a certain call and you shoot, if any get away they will remember that call and probably not respond to it for a while. If you have one place to hunt try changing things up every now and then. I was always told in the beginning not to use coyote sounds because they can pick out a beginner by the language your speaking. The last most useful advice I read that changed my luck was to use a rabbit call, and if that doesn't work try a rabbit call. If that doesn't work try a rabbit call. I have had better results lately because I quit going through the 200 sounds on my foxpro trying to find something they liked.
Be patient and stay on stand a little longer. Eastern coyotes must be lazy, I've called for almost 45 minutes before I had one come in.

Good luck and have fun!