• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First time headspacing Rem 700 - .260 build in progress - Pic Heavy

ringer706

For Sale Access
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2012
TX
Just like the title says, this is my first attempt at properly headspacing a Rem700 action for a home build I'm doing. However, this isn't a typical pre-threaded, short chambered barrel. I'm using an AAC .260rem barrel that I got for a steal instead. They were selling around the $400 mark, but I got one from Midway once they went on clearance. Anyways, this one is just slightly long chambered with so it will require grinding of the recoil lug to get in dimension. Here's how I did it. Tell me what you think.

Here's my pile 'o goodies so far. I'll be using a virgin Rem700 SA with a .308 bolt head for this guy. Barrel - like mentioned above - is a 24" .260rem barrel from AAC. It's got a nice straight taper and comes nitrided. Out at the end, I'll be using a JP Recoil Eliminator on the end for when the GF comes out shooting. Rings are a Nightforce 20MOA direct mount, though glass is undecided at this point. Same goes for stock (thinking Manners T4A with BDL or AICS 1.5) Finally, everything will get a nice coat of Burnt Bronze Cerakote
IMG_0141_zps729b62f1.jpg

Anyways, the meat-n-taters of this thread. Here's my setup. I'll be using gage blocks with the headspace gages to determine my headspace butter zone.
IMG_0158_zpsa94c0b94.jpg

First thing's first, I used my round stone and lightly went over the face of the action to knock off any burrs. I visually inspected the barrel shoulder, found a small nick and gently filed it off.
IMG_0165_zps56fad8be.jpg

Install the barrel, leaving the chamber long.
IMG_0166_zps299e0192.jpg

In goes the NOGO...
IMG_0167_zpsf33e22a5.jpg

Leave bolt open and slowly thread the barrel down until it gets just to where the NOGO won't close without using excessive force
IMG_0170_zpsd8844abf.jpg

Gage block and confirm with micrometer
IMG_0178_zps6d3babfa.jpg

IMG_0174_zps5fed4d40.jpg

Continue threading the barrel in with the GO gage to find lower limit of headspace. Repeat gaging and confirm with mic.

And that's it! Headspace dimensions require a recoil lug thickness of between .183" and .187" Worked out perfectly too, theres only a .004" difference in GO and NOGO gages. Kinda nice when things work out. First thing Monday morning, I'll run my .2007" thick recoil lug down to the local machine shop, float some guy a 20 spot to surface grind it down during lunch and bam, ready for paint and install! Below are my calculation notes. Since the action, recoil lug and barrel will be cerakoted PRIOR to barrel installation, I've factored a thickness of about .003" giver or take for the cerakote (on the action face, both sides of the recoil lug and the barrel shoulder). Factor in another ~.0015 decrease in headspace when torquing the barrel, a pre-painted lug thickness of about .184 will put me right in the middle of my headspace zone. I could go down to .183 for a slightly tighter chamber, but I think .184 will work, and going too short could prove to be troublesome (pretty hard to add thickness).
IMG_0182_zps1bf5bf13.jpg

Somewhat unrelated, I'll also have to clock my JP muzzle brake after install, so I thought I'd do a little preliminary measurement to see what it'll take. Threaded down, the brake is ~75 degrees off from dead nuts. Given it's a 5/8x24 thread, and one rev on the thread is about .0412 (1"/24) and I have to go 21 percent of 1 rev (75/360 =.2083), I will have to file down the end of the brake about .0085-.009". Not too much a task for a mill file and some patience.
IMG_0181_zpsbcc9d001.jpg

So stay tuned! Hopefully I'll have the my new sprayer next week and I can get this thing finished!

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:
I just got thru doing this same build. I did mine on a remmy la. Have been doing a little load testing past few weekends with the nosler 123 cc. I love it so far it's a sweet shooting little gun

Just wanted to post a pic of my rifle that I just put together using same barrel.
Cell Pics 011.jpg
B&C M40 Stock
Rem. LA
AAC 260 Rem. Barrel
Weaver 20 MOA base and Weaver 6 hole Tactical rings
Millet TRS 1 4-16x50 MIL/MIL
Condor Drag Bag/Shooting Mat

I ordered two of these and will be dropping one on a Rem 700 SA and keeping the other around for when I shoot the first out. Thanks for the pics and info, I'll definitely be using it as a reference if I end up doing it myself.

Last edited:
JP Recoil Eliminator on the end for when the GF comes out shooting.

so you need a thread protector too right, since you definitely won't be using the brake, hehe
that's the same reason I want a brake bud... :-D
looking good, I'm anxious for the end result

I have that same set of gage blocks I think. Feeler gages could get you pretty close too but I think you are going about it the right way. Looks good to me but what do I know. The .004" variance from go to no-go should be plenty of leeway too. Looking forward to seeing it complete.