• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors First time help

GibsonL5

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2018
TX
Im currently waiting on my first suppressor. Its a Nomad LT that will spend the majority of its time on a tikka ctr 6.5 cm with 20" barrel. Its used for pig hunting 95% of the time. Im curious if direct thread or maybe adding a brake for this application would be best? I know nothing about benefits(if any) that a brake might add in terms of accuracy, recoil, or longevity of the suppressor. Thanks for any help

If you don't ever intend to shoot it without a can, DT is lighter weight. Arguably DT is not anymore accurate than one of the many good QD options out there now. Theoretically, a muzzle brake can function as a sacrificial baffle and spare the first silencer baffle some force, but IDK how much truth there is to this. Personally, its nice to have a gun that is pleasant to shoot without a can (as in having a good brake). Plus with something like keymo or another system you don't need to worry about thread adaptors and can just swap it around with ease. It will add weight though.

Reactions: GibsonL5
The guys at Dead Air and TBAC have confirmed that yes, good muzzle brakes do spare the blast baffle some direct force, and helps mitigate erosion of the first couple baffles from the fire and gas. So, brakes do have their advantage, especially on shorter barrels. magnum cartridges, and anything larger than AR15 cartridges, like 5.56, .300 BLK, and 6.5 Grendel...

So, yes, being a solid Grade 5 Titanium suppressor, the Nomad-LT will benefit some longevity on the blast baffle by using a KeyMo brake and KeyMo setup. over direct-thread. I have a Nomad-LT, as well, and love it! It's one of the quietest cans I've ever heard in person. I run it with KeyMo, because I swap it around on all my rifles a lot, especially on my R700 5R 22" .260 Rem with a KeyMo brake, and it's a phenomenal setup. I like the QD, and the KeyMo brakes. The setup is repeatable and predictable POI shift when running it on and off the gun. I can put it on my 6.5 Grendel and it will hit exactly where I've zero'd. I remove it, and put it on my .260, and it hits exactly where I've zero'd. The KeyMo is a very good QD setup. It is a bit heavy and hefty, but after weighing my Nomad-LT with the KeyMo and the Dead Air thermal wrap, it's not much more weight than a standard Nomad-L with only a direct-thread adapter in it, and NO wrap.

As far as recoil, the brake might make some difference, but it would probably be so small you'll never feel it at the shoulder. But I can't guarantee that. Just guessing, since once you put the suppressor over the muzzle brake, the whole unit acts like a giant muzzle brake to reduce recoil.

Accuracy... I highly doubt that it makes any difference at all.

Reactions: Vivacious Stallion
The guys at Dead Air and TBAC have confirmed that yes, good muzzle brakes do spare the blast baffle some direct force, and helps mitigate erosion of the first couple baffles from the fire and gas. So, brakes do have their advantage, especially on shorter barrels. magnum cartridges, and anything larger than AR15 cartridges, like 5.56, .300 BLK, and 6.5 Grendel...

So, yes, being a solid Grade 5 Titanium suppressor, the Nomad-LT will benefit some longevity on the blast baffle by using a KeyMo brake and KeyMo setup. over direct-thread. I have a Nomad-LT, as well, and love it! It's one of the quietest cans I've ever heard in person. I run it with KeyMo, because I swap it around on all my rifles a lot, especially on my R700 5R 22" .260 Rem with a KeyMo brake, and it's a phenomenal setup. I like the QD, and the KeyMo brakes. The setup is repeatable and predictable POI shift when running it on and off the gun. I can put it on my 6.5 Grendel and it will hit exactly where I've zero'd. I remove it, and put it on my .260, and it hits exactly where I've zero'd. The KeyMo is a very good QD setup. It is a bit heavy and hefty, but after weighing my Nomad-LT with the KeyMo and the Dead Air thermal wrap, it's not much more weight than a standard Nomad-L with only a direct-thread adapter in it, and NO wrap.

As far as recoil, the brake might make some difference, but it would probably be so small you'll never feel it at the shoulder. But I can't guarantee that. Just guessing, since once you put the suppressor over the muzzle brake, the whole unit acts like a giant muzzle brake to reduce recoil.

Accuracy... I highly doubt that it makes any difference at all.
Thats some great info and I learned alot from that post! So is the xeno stuff different than keymo? I have a 300 HAMR AR platform that i might put the nomad lt on for a few rounds throughout the year(pig hunting). Having a quick switch system woukd be great for that occasion. With my certification today, i have time to form a plan and get the stuff ordered. Again, thanks for the help!

Thats some great info and I learned alot from that post! So is the xeno stuff different than keymo? I have a 300 HAMR AR platform that i might put the nomad lt on for a few rounds throughout the year(pig hunting). Having a quick switch system woukd be great for that occasion. With my certification today, i have time to form a plan and get the stuff ordered. Again, thanks for the help!
Yes, XENO is different than KeyMo. Xeno is more of a large short-thread QD setup, but still a very good system. It's A LOT lighter than KeyMo, but you don't get that ratchet on/off locking guarantee, which is why I went KeyMo over Xeno. Plus, when I bought my Nomad-LT, the Xeno didn't even exist yet...It came out a few months later. I was already heavily invested in KeyMo, and I also have 2 of the Sandman-S cans, and by-design they have a welded KeyMo mount from the factory, so, it is KeyMo only, there is no other mounting option for them. So, KeyMo allows me to swap around suppressors without changing anything on the guns. Just a quick ratchet on/off, and you're ready to go and try a different can.

I will just add that when hog hunting at night, bouncing around in a truck or sxs, and hiking around, I do prefer to have a locking mount just for peace of mind, versus a direct thread mount. CB somewhere in the middle of that criteria.

eta: yikes those typos were horrendous

Last edited:
Reactions: GibsonL5 and FuhQ
I will just add then when hog hunting at night, bouncing around in a truck or sxs, and hiking around, I do prefer to have a locking mount just for piece of mind, versus a direct thread mount. CB somewhere in the middle of that criteria.
Good point Zak, I didn't even think about that. 👍🏼

I appreciate all this advice. Also, can someone recommend and good wrap for the nomad lt?
Preferably with a camo color option.

I appreciate all this advice. Also, can someone recommend and good wrap for the nomad lt?
Preferably with a camo color option.
I run the black multicam thermal wrap from Dead Air on mine... Highly recommend it. You can get straight from the DA website.

Same cover that fits a Nomad-L.