• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First time in the 1 mile club.

dstewart51

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2011
Lake Hughes, CA
Went out to the high desert near Barstow with a two buddys of mine yesterday. We started out at 1153 yards (laser ranged) but after making a first shot cold bore hit (and then 4 more consecutive hits following) I decided to go out further. We moved back and ranged the steel at 1535 yards but said hell, why not make it a full mile? My Bushnell Fusions 1600's where just at there edge of ranging my 3'x3' black steel plate in the mid day daylight so we had one truck drive down the road until I ranged him at just over 230 yards. That makes just over 1 mile. Out of 15 shots I made 3 solid hits. The misses where all splashed very near the target, most of them look like the elevation was on, but the down range wind was blowing them right. Even though we did not have wind at the shooting position we could see the mirage drift left to right in the scope and binos.

Listen carefully at the 27 second mark and you can hear the hit (about 9 seconds after the shot). Make sure you turn it down after we call hit otherwise Jay will yell at ya.

1-5 mph breez, 2750' ele, 77deg F. 90g Retumbo pushing 300gr Scenar for 2710fps. With the 20MOA Ken Farrel Base the Nightforce 5-22x56 NXS scope was very near maxed out in elevation (19.8 mils ele).

Video link,
www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2Kn5cd-YfiM

Update, I saved the GPS cord for our shooting position and the target. Google Earth says the range was 1875 Yards.

Re: First time in the 1 mile club.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2Kn5cd-YfiM"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2Kn5cd-YfiM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

great shooting man !

Thanks guys,

I knew we where at least 1760 + a few, but Google Earth (saved GPS cords) puts me at 1875! Thats Awesome!

Nice shooting i just got my .308 to 2132 yards a little while ago, Fun stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: northern shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting i just got my .308 to 2132 yards a little while ago, Fun stuff. </div></div>That there is some amazing shit!!! Truly awesome, damn I need to try for a mile.

Cold bore hit at 1153 is pretty dang good!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: northern shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting i just got my .308 to 2132 yards a little while ago, Fun stuff. </div></div>. I am not calling BS but, having regularly shot out to a mile with my 338, I am skeptable about this! Are you saying one shot out of a 100 or consistant?

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3338387#Post3338387

20 shots 3 hits if i had someone spotting for me could have had many more hits, it was very consistant i.e. Where i pointed it, it went. you must be one of those .308 drop out the air at 800 meter guys right? haha thats exactly why i made the thread.

When i get a 338 LM i will shoot it to 3K just so you could call it BS cause youve never done it.

Nope shoot my 308 Tikka to 1139 all the time, consistantly;however, I know consistant multiple hits above 1500 are lets say not practicle!

Where are all the math wizards? How many fps is the round traveling upon impact? Is there enough kinetic energy behind the round to inflict damage?

Just curious incase there's ever a "dream shot" (not that I would take it or be skilled enough) on a trophy animal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chingon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where are all the math wizards? How many fps is the round traveling upon impact? Is there enough kinetic energy behind the round to inflict damage?

Just curious incase there's ever a "dream shot" (not that I would take it or be skilled enough) on a trophy animal.</div></div>

For the 300gr 338 Lapua with a MV of 2700 fps, @ 1875 yards 1112 fps with 824 ft-lbs. It would be enough to do some damage but the bullet may not expand much.

welcome to the Mile Club where quickly you figure out you are totally at the mercy of the wind and if you are in canyon country then your 3/15 is a pretty decent day. Even with 300 Scenars.

Shooting a 308 to a mile plus one realizes quickly is a waste of ammo, no matter what pics or posts show, as anyone shooting a 338LM or larger to a mile can attest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">welcome to the Mile Club where quickly you figure out you are totally at the mercy of the wind and if you are in canyon country then your 3/15 is a pretty decent day. Even with 300 Scenars.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Shooting a 308 to a mile plus one realizes quickly is a waste of ammo</span>, no matter what pics or posts show, as anyone shooting a 338LM or larger to a mile can attest.</div></div>

+1

Congrats on the 1 mile ( and a bit ) shot ... a 2 MOA target at a mile plus is challenging ... akin to doing an F Class target at 1000 yards and scoring 9's on the target without the benefit of wind flags ( the 9 is 2 moa ).

Sounds easy initially but the lack of flags is the thing ...

I have'nt done the mile in arid flat conditions like that ( where you can see the mirage on the ground all the way out ) but have shot a number of F comps in similar circumstances ... sometimes the flags in 1-5 mph winds are not good enough to give accurate wind calls ( too heavy ) so we nearly always use the mirage ...

I would like to try some ELR just using "mirage" ... one day soon perhaps ...

Looks to be a great bit of land you have there to practise on ...