• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

First time out with the 308 AIAE MkII

GR460

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2010
South Central Louisiana
I finally got to take the rifle out today. I ran both 168 and 175 Federal, Black Hills, Corbon and HSM. The 168 Federal and Corbon shot 1/4 MOA, and the 175 Corbon and HSM shot 1/4 MOA. Surprisingly the Black Hills shot the worse. My 700 AICS loved 168 Black Hills.

Having very limited experience with ammo, I do have a couple of questions though...is it normal for $20 ammo to shoot as good as $40 ammo, and what is the reason for the big difference in price?

Anyway, I thought I would share the fun I had with the group.

Re: First time out with the 308 AIAE MkII

Federal Gold Medal is about as good as it gets. Part of the reason is because of the sale price on the ammo, and part of the reason for your question is the higher prices on the custom stuff. In any case, Federal Gold Medal is pretty much the gold standard.

FGMM is a great load. Just keep in mind that the 168s do weird things past 800 yards. Once you go beyond that, you are going to need something like the 175 smk or 155 scenar.

Josh

The 168 FGMM performed as well as the Corbon, but the 175 didn't. Is there a preference of the 168 or 175, or is it normal to shoot different weights at different yardages?