• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

First time out!!

joelinux

hed weezul
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2019
So, in another thread, I thanked you all for the selection of equipment, as you have all endured a lot of (I'm guessing fairly basic) questions from me for a few months as I figured things out.

So, I figured since you suffered through all my dumb questions, you should find out how things went.

Pretty good for the first time out, I thought. (pictured below)

One thing i did notice is that my pistol ear protection interfered with my cheek rest. Do any of you have a suggestion for in-ear protection besides earplugs? I'd like to still be able to carry on a conversation, if that is possible.

IMG_20190817_111250.jpg

This one is actually at 220 yards:

IMG_20190817_133115.jpg
rangeedited.png

Reactions: seansmd
nice range , bought 2 pair walker's x cell the boosted mods are nice for hearing without having to yell even with others shooting around me . have not in 2 years had a problem with the fit or while cheek against the rest . cuts the crack of gun fire to nothing .

Seems OP is a 100% total newb, which is fine because we can help him out. A little more in the details department would help though. So, come on back OP and give details and make sure your brain is in sponge mode to soak up the information overload you might get.

i think some important information is missing. your targets show no indication that you were ready to send it out to 800 yards. I see one "bulleyes" at 220 and that's it. did you shoot anymore or just stopped there? Gun looks like a RPR..

if you connected at 800 yards, awesome. we're just trying to understand everything.

Reactions: lash
To double check - the paper targets were at 100 yd and 220 yd? And off the bench?
You got it!
What’s your rifle set up? Keep shooting eventually you’ll get there. And talk about the broad side of a barn:/
RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor, and a Nightforce ATACR F1 7-35x56mm.
I’m confused.
Happens to the best of us.
Well, the OP did ask for help on "gluing in the scope" and how to break in the rifle...
Hey hey hey! That was *in* the SPUHR mount manual. It said essentially, "some users" do it, with instructions on how to do it. My question was, "do I need to do this?" because I'm brand new. Get it right. :p

Reactions: smoothy8500
And, yes, we walked in the rounds at the longer distances, although, not by much. We were only ever one target width away at any given time. I think this was more of a "holy crap, this is amazing" outing, than serious drills.

Thanks for getting back with us. Okay, so you're going to need to work on getting smaller group sizes. You could also have someone else try shooting your rifle/ammo to see if the "weapon system" is capable.

-- Todd

I would suggest going back to 100 yards and confirm zero .

Download a ballistic calculator to save on some ammo.

Your first couple of shots with a clean / cold bore will probably only repeat with a cold clean bore.

If you adjust from there the impact will move.

Walk out your paper targets to 100 and 220 at the same time.

Shoot several shots into the berm and then shoot 3 on target average that and dial to zero. Reset turrets and check. Then go to 220 with dial up the app gives you.

On next trip out shoot first shot on target make a note were this hits before second shot that will be cold bore offset do not adjust from that.

Your poi will probably move a little till barrel breaks in dont worry.

This is very rudimentary intentionally.

i dont have an RPR, but from all the people here who have them id say you should have way better groups at 100 if shooting from a bench.

maybe you were shooting really cheap and inconsistent ammo, or maybe you need to work on fundamentals more. idk?

im sure others wouuld like to know what ammo you were shooting. try different brands and weights every rifle is different.

did you check your paralax before sending rounds?

the more details given the better the feedback you will get.

cool that you are stoked on shooting keep at it

Definitely get some assistance if you can with an experienced shooter, they can help you up that learning curve very quickly. Your POI is quite spread out, so hard to give any real help from those two targets. If you can, have them look over your equipment and the basics of your shooting fundamentals, and you'll see those groups shrink to an inch or two in no time. Keep it up, and I'm totally jealous of that range.

Reactions: 308pirate
Some nice equipment and a stellar range! Make sure you sign up for the snipers hide online training. I think there’s probably a lot of benefit and good nuggets in there for you. Hammer the fundamentals and dry practice will take you a long ways.

I’m seeing lots of suggestions in this thread with not enough information being provided for any suggestions to be properly made.

i dont have an RPR, but from all the people here who have them id say you should have way better groups at 100 if shooting from a bench.

maybe you were shooting really cheap and inconsistent ammo, or maybe you need to work on fundamentals more. idk?

im sure others wouuld like to know what ammo you were shooting. try different brands and weights every rifle is different.

did you check your paralax before sending rounds?

the more details given the better the feedback you will get.

cool that you are stoked on shooting keep at it
Yeah, so, seeing as this was only the third time I have ever fired a rifle (mostly a pistol guy up until now), my form was *definitely* not good this go-round. I know that my cheek rest needs to be adjusted, and my use of the rear bag needs to be refined by a sh*t ton.

This was mostly a "let's go out and bang this thing a bit" outing, definitely not a "I'm hot sh*t on a rifle" by any stretch. The fact that I consistently hit 800 speaks more about the equipment than any ability on my part.
That flinch is probably epic in person.

I'd love to watch you shoot a 22.

WTF is up with shot #6?
Shot #6 was actually attempting to hit the upper right hand target. Still bad, but not as bad as it first seems.
@joelinux - Are you in TX?
I know, but who here read the manuals, right?

Is that the range at San Luis Obispo?
+1 that place looks tits
To answer all three of you, @smoothy8500 nailed it. This is the Central Coast Long Range Shooter's range (Also known as Hogue Range). 1400 yards, with plans to expand. If any of you go there, I'd love to connect!

Yeah, so, seeing as this was only the third time I have ever fired a rifle (mostly a pistol guy up until now), my form was *definitely* not good this go-round. I know that my cheek rest needs to be adjusted, and my use of the rear bag needs to be refined by a sh*t ton.
We can def help in the rear bag department sir! PrecisionUndergroundRifleGear.com
rear bag.gif

Hate to disappoint, but I already have an Armageddon Gear "Game Changer" Rear bag. (It's what the buttstock is resting on in my picture)
Judging by shot number 6 i think you might be due for a replacement.

Dry practice a lot. Go to the range and shoot a shot, then dry fire a few times and see if you flinch. Then shoot again. Try to find someone who is experienced who is willing to show you the ropes. If not, attend a class. Everyone starts somewhere and I'm not much better than you but I still try. Keep at it man, nothing better to see then someone improving.

Hate to disappoint, but I already have an Armageddon Gear "Game Changer" Rear bag. (It's what the buttstock is resting on in my picture)
No worries I was being funny. I saw the bag in the pic. That’s a really good barricade bag that makes a decent rear bag IMO. Id say keep an open mind and keep learning. Dry fire 3x as much as you shoot.

Hello OP, I was a newbie too just a year or two ago. I started out shooting a bastardized Mosin Nagant with a SWFA SS 10x. Overall I had about $500 into the gun and optic. For rear support I used an old sock full of rice. I was able to shoot about 2 MOA groups my first ever time with it and ring steel gongs past 600 yards. The point I'm making is you are putting a lot of emphasis on your gear when it seems there is an error your fundamentals. Although now that you have the gear your learning will go a lot smoother so it is definitely good to have out of the way.

I still have far to go, and have not undergone any training. But the one thing that has helped me get my groupings down is practicing my breath and trigger control. I do a few minutes of dry firing practice before I shoot. It refreshes my trigger control as I can see if I'm pulling off target. If you are doing that but still had the issues perhaps you are flinching when firing. A thing that has helped me get rid of flinching is shooting .22 LR more. Not only do you not flinch with it but the recoil is so negligible you can see and feel if your are pulling off target while firing and adjust accordingly. Your setup is nice but a .22 is a cheap and easy way to learn.

Reactions: ShtrRdy
OP.. my first post on the hide so take it for what its worth..
One thing i did notice is that my pistol ear protection interfered with my cheek rest. Do any of you have a suggestion for in-ear protection besides earplugs? I'd like to still be able to carry on a conversation, if that is possible.
To me this suggests your possibly leaning your head to far in trying to get a good sight picture .. Maybe adjust your cheek weld for a more vertical head position. Along the same lines with the hearing protection, putting foam ear plugs under my Walkers worked wonders for me personally, eliminating nearly all of my "Bang/flinch", and I can still carry on a conversation.

OP.. my first post on the hide so take it for what its worth..

To me this suggests your possibly leaning your head to far in trying to get a good sight picture .. Maybe adjust your cheek weld for a more vertical head position. Along the same lines with the hearing protection, putting foam ear plugs under my Walkers worked wonders for me personally, eliminating nearly all of my "Bang/flinch", and I can still carry on a conversation.
Good chance. My lower back on the opposite side of the rifle has been hurting something fierce ever since. I think the ergonomics of the entire situation needs help.