• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing First time pelt processing.

The Durk

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Anyone know what I can use for fleshing, as well as a board for drying? I’m new to this and trying to get my first coyote pelt processed.

I’m going to skin it first thing in the morning.

I know I need a way to flesh it. I’m aware I need borax.

How do you clean the pelt after you skin it?

Do you wash it before you flesh it?

Sorry, I know it’s a lot of questions.

Thanks in advance!

Brush any burrs, knotted hair out before fleshing, to keep from nicking the hide. You can wash the blood out, too. A fleshing knife makes it easy, but you can use a drawknife or a sharpened tablespoon in a pinch. Borax is not necessary unless you want to tan them yourself. sretch fur side in, until partially dry then turn fur side out to finish drying. Split the tail to keep from rotting.

Reactions: The Durk
Minnesota trapline products will have everything that you need boards knives another good place for information is Trapperman.com and there’s probably YouTube videos showing how to do it

Reactions: The Durk
I’ve tanned a pile of coyotes, fox, river otter and so on, google fleshing a hide with a pressure washer, it sounds crazy but I guarantee it works. It will save you a pile of time and you won’t have a bunch of holes in your hide.

Reactions: TACC
Cool do a pictorial.

Friend shot a nuisance beaver few years ago. Thing must of weighed 30 pounds.

I wanted to skin it but I don't have a clue.

All my bullets pass through paper.

That Beav would have been a cool pelt.

Beaver are fairly easy to skin, they are a round ball basically, they have a thick coat of fat that you can pressure wash off really easy. You can buy tanning solutions from freedom brand outdoors in Michigan, they are very friendly to deal with. My boys and I do some trapping, mostly for fun as there isn’t much money left in the fur selling world.

Reactions: pmclaine
Beaver are fairly easy to skin, they are a round ball basically, they have a thick coat of fat that you can pressure wash off really easy. You can buy tanning solutions from freedom brand outdoors in Michigan, they are very friendly to deal with. My boys and I do some trapping, mostly for fun as there isn’t much money left in the fur selling world.

Have you ever stuffed a Beaver?

I second Minnesota Trapline products for supplies. They will have the fleshing knives and boards. I've used a dull knife to flesh before, but the right tools make things go smoother. You don't need borax. As mentioned stretch with the fur inside until it's dry, but still plenty flexible. Then flip it inside out and re-stretch (be careful not to overstretch). Also, the longer you wait the more trouble they are to skin. I get the hide of as soon as I can. Best of luck.